Logos 4 And Hard Drive Speed

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 39 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 18
Bryan Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 16 2010 6:20 PM

Good evening folks.

I'm looking into a new laptop (see link below) and I was wondering how a 5400 RPM hard drive would impact the loading time for the software given the system specifications.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+16%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Slate/9992966.p?id=1218206183902&skuId=9992966

Thanks for your help.

Posts 9431
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 6:24 PM

The one you linked to is a must faster system than mine, but I noticed a 20% increase in Logos speed when I upgraded to a 7200 RPM drive. I would never buy a system with a 5400 RPM drive. That's strong, but you asked.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 80
garry Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 6:29 PM

Yes you at least need a 7200 speed drive, but a lot of the cheaper laptops and sometimes more expensive laptops have 5400 speed drives.  Workstations tend to have 7200 speed drives unless they are media stations and they have the 5400 speed drives like laptops because they are cheaper and quieter.

Bro Garry

Christadelphian

Posts 18
Bryan Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 6:39 PM

Would it still load quickly with the CPU/RAM specs in spite of the slower drive?

Posts 80
garry Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 6:52 PM

I would think it would depend on the amount of resources, the more you have the slower it would be compared to the faster drive, and if you are used to a slower machine you will not know what you are missing  ;-)

But to be serious yes it should be sufficient if you can't find/stretch to a 7200 speed laptop as there are quite a few who have 5400 speed drives who have commented in the forums that it runs fast enough for them. I have a lot of resources and do a lot of research for my talks so every second  counts and i use a computer to compose and a laptop to deliver.

Bro Garry

Christadelphian

Posts 9431
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 7:08 PM

Bryan Jones:
Would it still load quickly with the CPU/RAM specs in spite of the slower drive?

You will notice the difference in just about everything you do with Logos. Some functions access the HD more than others, but it will be worth it for you to get the faster HD even if it means waiting to have one built for you with that drive in it.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 7:25 PM

Bryan,

I am going to be purchasing a computer with in the next few weeks, so I have been keeping a close eye on the internet for any deals.  I have found the website logicbuy(dot)com has the best around by far...

For the same price of that Toshiba (there are also deals for that brand on the site) I have found an:

HP DV7t i7 (Edited)

17in Monitor

500 GB 7200 Hard-drive

6G Ram

1GB Dedicated video memory

The site offers deals by using coupon codes.  I am usually very wary about those things, but I have yet to find a 'dead' code on that site.

I am probably going to purchase the HP DV8t 18.4in. through that site which sells for $1049 with the same specs except it has 2-7200rpm hard-drives @ 320GB for each drive.

Posts 18
Bryan Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 7:31 PM

True.

However, I'm running on a thousand dollar budget. So, based on current prices, if I want to get the 7200, I'll have to sacrifice the i7 and the 1 GB graphics card in favor of an i5 and a half gig graphics card (both of which are very essential to running logos efficiently based on other forums here).

I could be wrong, but it is my opinion that I don't believe it would be a wise trade-off.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 7:34 PM

Bryan Jones:
I could be wrong, but it is my opinion that I don't believe it would be a wise trade-off.

You are correct. Make the i7 and graphics card the priorities.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:07 PM

Bryan Jones:

True.

However, I'm running on a thousand dollar budget. So, based on current prices, if I want to get the 7200, I'll have to sacrifice the i7 and the 1 GB graphics card in favor of an i5 and a half gig graphics card (both of which are very essential to running logos efficiently based on other forums here).

You can always upgrade the HD to 7200, not so much on the graphics card and cpu!

That said, I would start saving for that kind of upgrade (if not that, maybe add a smaller flash drive!)

Posts 18
Bryan Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:09 PM

Flash drive? What are you getting at Mike?

Are you referring to the TurboBoost feature Win7/Vista have?

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 9:18 PM

Jonathan Burke:

Bryan Jones:

You are correct. Make the i7 and graphics card the priorities.

FWIW, I'm not sure I agree.  My home computer is a Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 1GB Video Card, with an Intel SSD.  My work computer is an i7, 8GB RAM, 1GB Video Card, with a 7200RPM drive.  I'd take the slower Core 2 Duo with the significantly faster SSD any day of the week over the faster i7 with the slower hard drive.  Hard drive speed makes one of the biggest differences in the overall "feel" of the performance of the user experience (both for Logos and in general.)  I utilize both computers in pretty much identical ways as far as Logos use...I can't think of any time when I've felt that the i7 was faster than the Core 2 Duo.  It should be even less of a factor between an i5 and an i7 (really the only difference is hyperthreading).  If it were me, I'd opt for the i5 with the 7200RPM drive...but that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:09 AM

Mark A. Smith:

The one you linked to is a must faster system than mine, but I noticed a 20% increase in Logos speed when I upgraded to a 7200 RPM drive. I would never buy a system with a 5400 RPM drive. That's strong, but you asked.

Mark my laptop is over 2 years old. would it be worth the cost to upgrade to a 7200 rpm at that age? if so where on the web do I go to find one that will work with my Acer Aspire7200-6569

thanks Mark

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:33 AM

SAM WEST:
my laptop is over 2 years old. would it be worth the cost to upgrade to a 7200 rpm at that age? if so where on the web do I go to find one that will work with my Acer Aspire7200-6569

You probably have the original 160GB HD at this point, so you might want to spend a little for a larger drive as well as going to 7200rpm. Is $70 too much ?

Hitachi 0S00157 Travelstar Laptop Hard Drive - 2.5", 7200, SATA 3G, 500GB, 16MB Cache

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5509442&CatId=1277

Posts 9431
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:46 AM

SAM WEST:
Mark my laptop is over 2 years old. would it be worth the cost to upgrade to a 7200 rpm at that age? if so where on the web do I go to find one that will work with my Acer Aspire7200-6569

I did that with my 2 1/2 year old laptop. Upgraded to Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) and 4 GB of RAM as well. What had been slow and painful Logos responsiveness became acceptable. I think just the HD upgrade might help you improve speeds in many functions by as much as 20%. If I could have upgraded the video with a discrete video card I would have but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend at the time and options seemed to be limited.

As David pointed out Tiger Direct is a good place. I've purchased from CompUSA and from Newegg.com with no problems. Most laptop hard drives will be compatible as long as they are SATA drives. With a two year old computer that is probably what you have. You can take a look at the existing drive to see that info.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:16 AM

David J. Wilson:

You probably have the original 160GB HD at this point, so you might want to spend a little for a larger drive as well as going to 7200rpm. Is $70 too much ?

Hitachi 0S00157 Travelstar Laptop Hard Drive - 2.5", 7200, SATA 3G, 500GB, 16MB Cache

Heavens no David its not too much thanks for the info. Ive considered this for a long time and didn't know if the rest of my components  would work right with the larger and faster drive. i am about to run out of HD. Did you realize the 2 videos and Logos 4 its self takes up about 15 GB. Is it much trouble to get a new HD up and running?

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:29 AM

Mark A. Smith:
as long as they are SATA drives.

Thanks Mark. what you are saying is as long it is a SATA and 2 1/2 inch it will work and have the same plug in just like mine and I will not have to be concerned with whether it will fit or nor. I will ask you also Mark what about of the rest of the components in the laptop will that work with a larger and faster HD

Posts 9431
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:46 AM

Sam,

Any special connectors or trays you'll need for your Acer should already be attached to the HD in your laptop. Those will need to be transferred to the new hard drive. Easy to do.

SATA is probably what you have, but confirm that before you buy. It would be hard to believe it was anything else .

All your other laptop components will work fine with the larger and faster hard drive. You won't have to mess with or worry about anything else. The faster drive will draw a little more power so you may see an impact on battery life when you are unplugged.

A larger HD is a good idea, especially if you are close to maxing out now. The jump up in size doesn't cost much these days.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:00 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Sam,

Any special connectors or trays you'll need for your Acer should already be attached to the HD in your laptop. Those will need to be transferred to the new hard drive. Easy to do.

SATA is probably what you have, but confirm that before you buy. It would be hard to believe it was anything else .

All your other laptop components will work fine with the larger and faster hard drive. You won't have to mess with or worry about anything else. The faster drive will draw a little more power so you may see an impact on battery life when you are unplugged.

A larger HD is a good idea, especially if you are close to maxing out now. The jump up in size doesn't cost much these days.

Thanks brother Mark In the Lord I love for the help. I will place my order right now. Any advice on what I should do getting it started when I get it Installed? I have a external WD HD with all my stuff on it and I have the windows7 software is this all I need to get It started?

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS