Now in Beta: Import Your Wordsearch Documents to Logos

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 70
LogosEmployee
Ed Ball (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 10:00 AM

Thanks for the report! We should be able to handle 237 KB just fine, but perhaps it is actually 237 MB? We will work on adding support for larger zip files.

Posts 43
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 10:24 AM

Yup. 

Was too quick on the draw last nite.  It is 237,xxx KB, that do be 237 MB.

Maybe I can parse it down and do it in chunks...  What is the current maximum file size?

How will you alert y'all alert former WS12 users when larger zip file capability exists?

Posts 9
Robert Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 10:50 AM

Am I out of sync here (mixing apples and oranges)? Are we talking notes etc. or docs?

I uploaded my WordSearch backup file a couple of weeks ago and imported the notes by book, chapter and verse. I'm in the process of tagging those as we speak.

I have been waiting to import the stand alone full documents saved in WordSearch. As I recall, it seems like they were of the ".doc" variety but at any rate, most were from one to several pages of text (sermons, teachings etc.).

I looked in Tools/Favorites but lost the trail 

Robert

Posts 9097
LogosEmployee

Eugene Nowak:
Maybe I can parse it down and do it in chunks

The average size of a Wordsearch 12 backup is about 4MB, so yours is significantly larger.

By default, Wordsearch just zips up everything in "Documents\WORDsearch" (which is where it creates its files by default). If you've placed additional large files in that folder, you may wish to move them to another "Documents" folder before performing your Wordsearch 12 backup.

Posts 43
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:21 PM

I've got a few questions before I try to jump start the process by moving files out of the Wordsearch folder.

Not that long ago I used QuickVerse and then in 2019 migrated to Wordsearch.   Wordsearch pretty much used the same PC folder structure as QuickVerse.  So a lot of the stuff that is now in my Wordsearch folder came across when I migrated to WS12.  One of the file formats QV10/WS12 did not like was MS WORD documents.  So anytime I wanted something I created in a Word document to appear in QV/WS12 I'd have to make a pdf and place it in the PC folder for QV/WS12 to see it.  So, I'm thinking that Logos isn't going to like seeing pdf's in that folder, is that correct?  I currently bring pdf's into Logos with them placed in a shortcut folder.  I can't interact with them in Logos, they are just hyperlinks back to the file located within my PC directory structure.  So that is one type of file in my PC Wordsearch folder.

I do also have some videos that are in the PC Wordsearch folder, I'm guessing Logos migration conversion won't like those either.

The next type of file in the Wordsearch documents folder are those that were generated internal to either QV or WS12 Word Processor.  The Word Processor would generate either 2 or 3 separate files for each document:  html, idx & xrf extensions.  I'd assume the Logos conversion process would handle these.  Correct?

The are also files that were generated internal to QV & WS12 and these are identified buy the extension of .userbook.  Will Logos be able to convert these userbooks?

Finally, QV/WS12 allowed a directory structure below the Wordsearch folder to aid in organizing all the files.  It was simple in QV/WS12 as just building the folder structure beneath the Wordsearch folder, adding files that met their criteria (non-MS Word), then each time with QV or WS12 was opened the program would read all the information in the Wordsearch folder and make it available to the user.  Logos doesn't work this way, so how will Logos handle all the hierarchy within the Wordsearch folder?  Or does that structure have to be removed and all the files just placed in the Wordsearch folder for the WS->Logos conversion process to work?

Please advise.

Posts 9
Peter Santaniello | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:24 PM

Wow, better than I expected.  Doesn't seem like I am missing anything, I'll let you know.  Any easy way to pull the categories from my WS favorites to the root Favorite's menu?  Hey, if not, no worries!  Thanks!!!

Posts 5362
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 5:00 PM

Eugene Nowak:
I do also have some videos that are in the PC Wordsearch folder, I'm guessing Logos migration conversion won't like those either.

I'm guessing they may constitute a large part of that 237 MB, too.

Posts 43
Eugene Nowak | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 6:02 PM

If I take out the video files, still above 40 MB.  If I pull everything over 1 MB file size or larger, still have about 10 MB remaining in the file structure.  Accumulation over the years, somewhere around 100 files remaining that were registered in QV/WS12.

Posts 75
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 7:01 PM

Eugene Nowak:
html, idx & xrf extensions.  I'd assume the Logos conversion process would handle these.  Correct?

Those are not being imported at this time. The .idx and .xrf files were index files used internally by Wordsearch and are of no use outside the program. The .html files were, as you say, created by the internal WS Word Processor. Logos does not have an internal word processor, but you can open these up in any app that can handle html files. I converted all mine to Word .docx files for improved functionality. Some Logos packages have a tool for importing .docx documents as user-created "books", but that's mostly useful for work that is finished, so you can search against it later in Logos, etc.

Regarding everything else in your Wordsearch "MyDocuments" folder, as of right now, the only file types in there being imported into Logos are the Verse Lists (.vrs files). You could take pretty much everything else out temporarily to create a nice small backup zip file for the migration. The userbook files could possibly be imported to new user-data types in the future, as could the html files potentially, so it might be worth including them in the upload now just in case they can be leveraged later on, but they're not a factor right now, and I seriously doubt the Word docs or PDFs would ever be importable via this kind of process.

Posts 9
Robert Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 8:08 PM

Where can I find open-source software to batch convert html to docx?

Posts 9
Robert Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 6:58 AM

I have uploaded my WordSearch backup file to Logos and imported the notes for each book, chapter and verse. I'm tagging now.

Meanwhile, how do I batch convert the html docs into docx and Logos? or is that coming later?

Posts 27
Danny Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 8:12 AM

The only problem I  had was it increased the point of my font. Good job.

DannyBig Smile

Posts 9097
LogosEmployee

John W Gillis:
Regarding everything else in your Wordsearch "MyDocuments" folder, as of right now, the only file types in there being imported into Logos are the Verse Lists (.vrs files). You could take pretty much everything else out temporarily to create a nice small backup zip file for the migration.

No, don't do that.

I was only recommending removing non-Wordsearch files (such as large videos).

As per the OP:

Austin Bush:
When you upload your Wordsearch data, we’ll store the original data in your Faithlife account, and convert each kind of document over to the Logos equivalent. As we implement migration for more types of content (Collections, Verse Lists, etc.), your data will automatically begin to show up in Logos without you having to upload it again.

If you leave all Wordsearch documents in the archive that you upload, they'll be processed once we can handle them, without your having to upload the file again.

Posts 70
LogosEmployee
Ed Ball (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:03 AM

Eugene Nowak:

How will you alert y'all alert former WS12 users when larger zip file capability exists?

Larger zip files are now supported.

Posts 70
LogosEmployee
Ed Ball (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:15 AM

Peter Santaniello:

Any easy way to pull the categories from my WS favorites to the root Favorite's menu?

Unfortunately I think the only way is to drag them one at a time.

Posts 70
LogosEmployee
Ed Ball (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:19 AM

Danny Jenkins:

The only problem I  had was it increased the point of my font. Good job.

Thanks! How much bigger? If this is a universal problem we might be able to improve it.

Posts 27
Danny Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 12:41 PM

Just two points

Danny

Posts 2
Ray Corradi | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2021 8:03 AM

Austin, I am a long time Wordsearch user with a large accumulation of personal data. I ran the import routine described above and successfully migrated my personal notes into Logos 9. As you noted, the Sermons and Illustrations utility is still in development and I anxiously await the ability to migrate the 700 sermons I have in Wordsearch. Any idea for timing?

Posts 15
LogosEmployee
Austin Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 11:53 AM

Some initial code has been written to allow the sermons/illustrations from Wordsearch to come over to Logos, but the work has not been finalized yet as there are still some key decisions to be made about the best way to properly import them.  This discussion has resurfaced though this week so hopefully we can make some steps forward in this process in the near future.  

Thank you for your note and I will be sure to report back once there is more information available.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS