Qaulity Of Wordsearch Books Converted to Logos Research Editions still leaves a lot to be desired.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5746
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 16 2021 11:20 PM

There is significcant issues with Meta Data, I'm just giving a small number of examples because there is too much for me to go through and idenitfy them all when FL should be checking this since they are creating Logos Research Editions.

Series: resources from the same series are not showing up as being in the same series because different series names are being applied For instance for some books "The" is at the beginning of series names and others are not. e.g Easy to Read Bible Commentary, Journey Bible Series 

Publisher: Some books from the same series show up as published by Wordsearch and others by a third party publisher e.g Journey Bible Series. There is even incosistency in the way Wordsearch is used - sometimes its WORDsearch and other times Wordsearch

Subject - incosistent use of subjects, once again the Journey BIble Series, some have the subject Teaching.  and others Bible--Teaching. 

There are also issues with type: I see a lot of bible study guides comming out as type bible commentary when they are clearly not bible commentary but books of questions and activities for bible study groups e.g Journey Series & Christian Basics Bible Studies are two examples and so while they shoud be indexed by bible reference they should not show up in the commentary guide as commentar and therefore shoud be type Bible Study.

Inconsistent tagging of bible verses. For instance in Meeks Teaching notes on 1-3 John none of the bible references relating to 2 john are tagged while references for 1 John and 3 John are tagged.

Some resouces I have seen are formatted well but others are poorly formatted and it looks like little if no effort has been made with them.  There is no line spacing between paragraphs, no bolded headings  An example is Jack Andrews Expository Studies 1 Thessalonians 

As I said I am not gong to document every case. I dont' get paid by FL to do quality control.  Those who purchased in the past Wordsearch resoures from Lifeway have noted  prices have now gone up that they are in Logos hands so it's not unreasonable to expect FL to do a good job on these resouces rather than rushing them through like they seem to be given the price rises. If they don't do a good job on these conversions we are going to be relucnant to purchase other resources from the Wordsearch catalouge in the future given the quality of what we are receiving at this point in time.  

Posts 2837
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 3:01 AM

DIsciple II:
There are also issues with type: I see a lot of bible study guides comming out as type bible commentary when they are clearly not bible commentary but books of questions and activities for bible study groups e.g Journey Series & Christian Basics Bible Studies are two examples and so while they shoud be indexed by bible reference they should not show up in the commentary guide as commentar and therefore shoud be type Bible Study.

I am okay with this appearing in the passage guide. I don't trust my memory to remind me where a particular explanation or question can be found & I don't have to go tracking down some hidden gems somewhere else Smile

Not saying you don't have a point as you are speaking of consistency.

With that said I agree with your comment.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 75
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 4:43 AM

DIsciple II:
...not unreasonable to expect FL to do a good job on these resouces rather than rushing them through...

Faithlife has been very clear that the majority of new-to-Logos titles from Wordsearch were auto-converted in a batch process, and were being made available to license holders as-is while Faithlife works on cleaning them up - on the principle that something is better than nothing. I don't think it's fair to judge the finished quality of their work on work that isn't finished.

Posts 9097
LogosEmployee

DIsciple II:
Series: resources from the same series are not showing up as being in the same series because different series names are being applied For instance for some books "The" is at the beginning of series names and others are not. e.g Easy to Read Bible Commentary, Journey Bible Series 

These seem consistent within the series to me. Also note that The Easy-To-Read Commentary Series are still all Ebooks, so their metadata may not have been updated and standardised yet. (And all but two Journey Into resources are still being produced.)

DIsciple II:
Publisher: Some books from the same series show up as published by Wordsearch and others by a third party publisher e.g Journey Bible Series.

These both show as "Wordsearch" for me in Library metadata. The company has changed the casing of its name over the years, so if it's spelt differently on the title page, I'm not immediately sure that that's incorrect: that may very well be how it was "printed" and we don't have leeway to update that.

DIsciple II:
Subject - incosistent use of subjects, once again the Journey BIble Series, some have the subject Teaching.  and others Bible--Teaching. 

I'll report this.

DIsciple II:
Inconsistent tagging of bible verses. For instance in Meeks Teaching notes on 1-3 John none of the bible references relating to 2 john are tagged while references for 1 John and 3 John are tagged.

It's still an Ebook, not a Logos Edition.

I'll ask someone to look at the other issues you reported. I suspect many of them are due to the conversion (to Logos Editions) not having taken place yet. I know we disagree about whether the Ebook resources should have been released at all, or not; this seems like a follow-on result of the decision we took last year.

Posts 5362
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 7:48 AM

DIsciple II:

I am not familiar with those series, but I am familiar with other Bible studies that have long appeared in the Passage Guide, and I am glad of it.

Posts 2837
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 9:24 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
The Easy-To-Read Commentary Series are still all Ebooks, so their metadata may not have been updated and standardised yet.

Hi Bradley,

My library for the  Easy-To-Read Commentary Series  reads LRE. 

Easy To Read

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 5746
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 12:17 PM

I am well aware of that. If you read my post title I am talking about the ones that have been converted to full Logos Research editions as Ted points out in a post below. So I am talking about ones that are supposed to be finished and not the ones in transition.

John W Gillis:

DIsciple II:
...not unreasonable to expect FL to do a good job on these resouces rather than rushing them through...

Faithlife has been very clear that the majority of new-to-Logos titles from Wordsearch were auto-converted in a batch process, and were being made available to license holders as-is while Faithlife works on cleaning them up - on the principle that something is better than nothing. I don't think it's fair to judge the finished quality of their work on work that isn't finished.

Posts 5746
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 12:19 PM

Thanks Ted. 

Ted Hans:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
The Easy-To-Read Commentary Series are still all Ebooks, so their metadata may not have been updated and standardised yet.

Hi Bradley,

My library for the  Easy-To-Read Commentary Series  reads LRE. 

Easy To Read

Posts 1553
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 1:05 PM

Disciple II

Outside of the standardized subject for the "The Journey Bible Series" which we fixed I haven't been able to find an example of and issue that needs to be addressed for Logos Research Editions.

In your original post the examples of poor quality you gave are all all eBooks. These are all in the process of being updated. There may be an exception for "Meeks Teaching" but I can't figure out what resource this is. If you point me to its full title I can take a look.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS