New Library "type" categories

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 17 2021 8:51 AM

I really like the new "type" categories that Faithlife has made for our library. It has really helped reduce the number of my resources that have fallen in to the "monograph" catch all. Since I can search by type, where I use to search primarily with my tags, does this make you rethink tagging your library? A lot of the type categories are what I have used for categories of tagging my library in the past. Does this make tagging resources unnecessary or are there still tags you would use that are not covered by the types?

Posts 6135
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 11:33 AM

I just want to note that the number, composition, and use of the different new types is still in flux and that books are still being re-typed daily to match up correctly to the new types, so whatever the best plan is going forward, it's probably too early to consider deleting existing tags.

“The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.” St. Peter of Alcántara

Posts 28019
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 3:53 PM

Lonnie Spencer:
A lot of the type categories are what I have used for categories of tagging my library in the past. Does this make tagging resources unnecessary or are there still tags you would use that are not covered by the types?

Many of the new Types do not match my tagging, and this applies to existing types like Bible Commentaries, where many are more like Bible Notes, so I tag them as Notes! Handbook is far too generic to match any tagging  as you can have a Handbook for Prayers, Small Groups, Apologetics, Counseling, etc.

My tag for Apologetics covers 6 Types, including 56 Monographs yet to be re-assigned a new Type!

My tag for Counseling covers 2 Types, including 17 Monographs.

I will definitely continue to Search/filter with my tags rather than the new types, but they may eventually simplify some of my collection rules.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 45
Peter_G | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 10:04 AM

Is the "type" category editable by users? It appears not to be...

I noticed that G.Vos's Biblical Theology of Old and New Testaments is given the type "Monograph." So it doesn't appear when you sort the library using the Biblical Theology filter. Pretty silly, when it has that title.

Posts 1673
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 10:46 AM

Lonnie Spencer:

Does this make tagging resources unnecessary or are there still tags you would use that are not covered by the types?

Recognizing they're still working on the tagging, most don't need myTags.  The idea of editable tags is good, vs 2 parallel systems.

But for me, their approach is useless (of no use). Mine are arranged on how my research flows. And takes advantage of structured naming, and 'the Bible' (eg Genesis preceding 1st Corinthians).

Posts 28019
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 6:21 PM

Peter_G:

Is the "type" category editable by users? It appears not to be...

Type is not editable, presumably to avoid errors like converting a monograph to an encyclopedia when it has no headwords!

Peter_G:
I noticed that G.Vos's Biblical Theology of Old and New Testaments is given the type "Monograph." So it doesn't appear when you sort the library using the Biblical Theology filter. Pretty silly, when it has that title.

I agree. Does "Introducing Biblical Theology" make it less so since it is a monograph?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 398
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 6:34 PM

I thought the monograph reading plan that came with Logos 9 was awesome and then Faithlife changed the type to most of my monographs so now that awesome monograph reading plan doesn't work anymore on those resources. I have asked Faithlife to open those previous monographs to be allowed to use the monograph reading plan so we can read them by chapter but no avail.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS