Besides Bibles I Love a Good Dictionary

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 23 2021 11:54 PM

Mike Binks:
The subscription cost for the OED is prohibitative.

Not so much for the next seven days 

https://public.oed.com/help/how-to-subscribe/

12 months subscription is only $90 instead of $295 until 31 march 2021

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 12:21 AM

scooter:
Well, now I know.  Very interesting.  Thank you, Gordon.  -que is a French ending.  I will research its history.

Don't forget that we in the UK were invaded in 1066 by French speaking peoples. That is where a lot of our French root words came from.

Animal names are interesting. The names for cooked animal flesh but NOT the animal name often came from the French such as beef and mutton. The School boy explanation is that the Normans brought their cooks with them who were (of course) French speakers hence used the French (or rather Norman) names for it. 
Philology is indeed interesting. 

Posts 201
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 10:11 AM

JohnB:

scooter:
Well, now I know.  Very interesting.  Thank you, Gordon.  -que is a French ending.  I will research its history.

Don't forget that we in the UK were invaded in 1066 by French speaking peoples. That is where a lot of our French root words came from.

Animal names are interesting. The names for cooked animal flesh but NOT the animal name often came from the French such as beef and mutton. The School boy explanation is that the Normans brought their cooks with them who were (of course) French speakers hence used the French (or rather Norman) names for it. 
Philology is indeed interesting. 

So true, JohnB.

My brother, the anglophile, took to calling Saturday + Sunday together as the weekEND, with emphasis on the second syllable.  He used GAR.age for the Canadian ga.RAJ re car storage building. This all made him seem pompous.

My grandma pronounced it like my brother: GAR.age.  Her dad was a Canadian prairie lad, from whom I figure she got this pronunciation; her mom came from Sweden, so I doubt that lady would have the last word on how to say garage.  My dad said it ga.RAJ, the commonly used way. Mysteries.

Posts 5551
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2021 6:30 PM

scooter:
-que is a French ending.

It is also a Latin enclitic.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS