Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 338
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 23 2021 1:36 AM

I really like the Textual Notes section in the book of Esther in the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary. What resource would you recommend that focuses on textual notes of the Old Testament? And how about the book of Isaiah and other prophetic books? Either electronic or hard copy recommendations would be welcome. Thanks.  

Posts 33796
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2021 4:31 PM

bump e for visibility

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 27 2021 8:02 PM

Are you familiar with the NET Bible? The NET Bible notes are very text oriented and cover many issues. They are not exhaustive by any means but still valuable for making readers aware of underlying issues.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 338
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2021 9:52 AM

Hi Paul, thanks for that suggestion. Yes, I have and use both the hard copy and electronic copies of NET for that purpose. Also, Lange's commentary has some great things. I just really loved the textual notes in the EEC and I wish there was a book specializing in just the textual notes for the whole of the Hebrew Bible. I'm actually surprised that there is not. Even the Word Biblical Commentary surprises me by the lack of such a tool in it.

Posts 625
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2021 10:50 AM

Gregorio Billikopf:
What resource would you recommend that focuses on textual notes of the Old Testament?

If you're seeking strictly textual notes, my impression is the NT has better strictly-textual-notes coverage, than the OT. I suspect it's because there's not much hebrew to discuss (MT, DSS, inscriptions/amulets, and theoretical proto-MT). Once you leave hebrew, the choices widen (eg the Septuagint Commentary, Aramaic Aging, etc).

Posts 338
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 28 2021 1:02 PM

Thanks, DMB, those are the initials of both my father and my oldest son, Smile.

For the book of Isaiah, over a 20 year period I collected textual notes from the Masoretic text, LXX, DSS, Targums, Syriac, and other sources, so there are plenty of sources of interest for me. Most of my scholarly work I do comes from the Hebrew Bible. I would love to have something like this for all of the books of the Hebrew Bible. As I mentioned, I loved the EEC textual notes on the two volumes I own.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS