Am I a Hoarder?

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 370
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 2:04 AM

Rosie Perera:

No, the actual reason I keep buying Logos books is because I am a hoarder. And because I can afford it.

I am a hoarder, but only in the virtual reality of my e-book library. Smile

Posts 226
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 4:52 AM

I too must confess that I am a hoarder of Logos Software. My wife gently teases me frequently that I need Teen Challenge for my addiction (I am the executive director of one). One of my best friends accuses me of being a walking commercial for Logos & feels that Faithlife should put me on their payroll. I am an addict of this software and probably have no shame...

Posts 206
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 8:52 AM

Now that I have recently ticked off some major things that I have wanted for several years (thanks to the a very generous donation that my descendants will have to pay off), including many resources recommended by Dr. Michael Heiser, I finally feel a sense of relief. I only have about 6,000 resources, but I had not realized that some of the anxiety I felt was because I had not acquired some specific scholarly resources I wanted to study Biblical Theology. Hopefully this relief will stick and I won't spend any more money.

Posts 116
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 9:13 AM

I too fear I am a hoarder. But (tongue in cheek) I am reminded of the Lord's comment in the parable of the rich fool....."who will own what you have prepared?" Luke 12:20

Posts 86
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 12:08 PM

This is good to reflect on and pray about. Lifting prayers for all for wisdom & discernment (myself included). I do very much like the call to greater compassion in service, but not out of guilt-- out of love for our Savior and what He has done. May we do to the least of these in love and also expand His Kingdom. YesGift

Posts 98
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 4:35 PM

I am trying to emulate a seminary library on my computer now that I no longer have easy access to one.  Logos enables me to do that at a fair price (sales) with greater efficiency and usefulness.

Posts 147
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 25 2021 10:26 PM

At 32,761 unhidden Logos resources, I consider myself a “collector”, not a hoarder.  I have well over 80,000 electronic books in total, across a number of different platforms / formats.  (I use Copernic to provide in-depth searches across a significant number of those resources that are not platform dependent like those in Logos or Accordance.)  For many hoarders, but certainly not all, there is little monetary value in what they have accumulated.  For me, there is a significant monetary value in my Logos ‘curated’ collection.  And like so many others have said, my library goes with me wherever I go and is easily accessible on multiple devices.

Now, if Faithlife would offer me their entire exiting library of resources at a really sweet price, I might be convinced to switch from being a simple collector to a becoming a very happy hoarder!!

Posts 23
Michael Wert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 5:56 AM

"entire exiting library of resources” I would love to see that "dynamic price" button somewhere.  Having to call, knowing you were going to disappoint the sales rep, holds me back, but having a button would be fun and eye opening.  It would prove to me that I am not a hoarder, but it would give me pause and think of another goal.  Probably not a good button to have.

Posts 23
Michael Wert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 6:16 AM

Brooks Cochran:

I too fear I am a hoarder. But (tongue in cheek) I am reminded of the Lord's comment in the parable of the rich fool....."who will own what you have prepared?" Luke 12:20

"the things you have prepared, dwhose will they be?"  but this is a serious question!

"Whose will the be"  I am getting older.  When I die what happens to my library?  If not used for X amount of time does it disappear?  Does Logos try to sell it at a discount to some people.  Can I donate it to someone?   How should we distribute this in a “will and testament”?

Being serious about this.  Now trying to be a good steward.  Plus it would help me justify the hoarding question. Smile

Posts 1630
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 6:19 AM

MWW:

Rosie Perera:
No, the actual reason I keep buying Logos books is ..

Yes, but you also are supporting a software company for the rest of us... perhaps it is people like you that keep Faithlife from becoming the next Bibleworks or WORDsearch and so indirectly you are supporting all of our studies and ministries. 😊

Indirectly supporting is a good reason, and buying books is fun. I am not a theologian but I am interested to see how new features in Logos work, while also learning Greek, Hebrew, exegesis etc. And sometimes others ask me "what does that originally mean" or so - maybe they think I've learnt something. And many books are actually interesting: I am currently reading Ferguson's book about Background of Early Christianity, and skimming through the Catholic encyclopedia.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 4513
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 6:34 AM
  • Many readers buy books with every intention of reading them only to let them linger on the shelf.
  • Statistician Nassim Nicholas Taleb believes surrounding ourselves with unread books enriches our lives as they remind us of all we don't know.
  • The Japanese call this practice tsundoku, and it may provide lasting benefits.

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/do-i-own-too-many-books 

Posts 8042
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 7:35 AM

At the end of the day we’re ALL hoarders when it comes to Logos.  We buy a base package for a particular set of commentaries and the rest we hoard even if we never use the resources.  Expansions come out, bundles come out, new base packages come out and we buy most of the time for that one particular cheap product and the rest we hoard. But hey, at least is there for research when we find a weird hidden gem in that huge digital hoarding place called our Logos library 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 159
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 9:35 AM

DAL:
At the end of the day we’re ALL hoarders when it comes to Logos.

Maybe. I notice, buying for Kindle, I read what I buy ... quickly identify any waste-purchases. Logos purchasing seems different. I never bought into the search idea. I generally know which books have what. Tagged. I think it's more along the lines of a puzzle, filling in the blanks. Thinking I'll get to that part of the puzzle later.

After L9 was such a zero (for me), and I didn't see any more puzzle-pieces, I pulled my CC. That actually works wonders. Convenience is expensive, when rationalizing is nearby. Plus the CC statement is nice.  

Posts 174
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 10:26 AM

DMB:
CC

Can I infer ''CC'' is 'credit card'?

Posts 5192
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 26 2021 12:06 PM

I think that whether one is hoarding ebooks or making purchases of them that one should not do so is not so easily determined as simply by looking at Library counts.

Posts 850
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2021 9:11 AM

Hi Wayne:

I have about that amount in pdfs, I usually cannot find info if I do not make a note of it a la clipping. Do you know if there is a good Copernic alternative for Mac that can do proximity search like L9 can?

Just like you I do not consider Logos power users as hoarders, as getting more resources do not take away from others, on the contrary it allows FL to keep adding resources to the available titles.

I do not think that is bad stewardship to have so many books that you cannot read in a lifetime, because by the use of proximity search, you can find very relevant information, getting one to the heart of the matter quick, way better than having to read tons and file notes per topic, etc.

Wayne Clarke:
from being a simple collector to a becoming a very happy hoarder!!

Did you mean a very happy ultimate (r)? LOL.

Thanks ahead of time for any input on proximity searching in pdf files.

Peace and grace.

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS