Vote for Ben Witherington's 3 Works on Women in Ministry

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 27 2021 6:52 PM

Sorry, I know that I already have a thread from 2012 that I posted this information in, but I wanted to update the title to reflect the need for votes.  I have set up a new entry on the Logos Book Requests page here for the following:

Women in the Earliest Churches (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)

Women in the Ministry of Jesus: A Study of Jesus' Attitudes to Women and their Roles as Reflected in His Earthly Life (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)

There is a more popular level condensed version titled:

Women and the Genesis of Christianity

but I would rather have the two full versions.

These volumes spring from his dissertation. 

Here are a couple of videos of him on the subject:

Women and Ministry from Scripture and History

Women, Ministry Roles, and Scripture

People will have different views on the subject, but his arguments should be offered up for consideration.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2021 4:45 AM

Don't forget to vote for these HERE.  We should have everything from Ben Witherington III!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 26 2021 4:40 AM

The website seems to be down for voting, but when it comes back, head on over there and cast your votes for these.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2021 4:35 AM

Bump!  It's been a while.  

Posts 50
Ken Thompsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 1 2021 4:24 PM

Voted. I mostly use Logos for reference books, so don't know if I'd ever get these. But I love Dr. Witherington anyhow. 

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 4:34 AM

You want to vote for these resources.  You may not be so sure, but trust me, you want them.

Posts 5971
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 2:15 PM

Joseph Turner:
You may not be so sure, but trust me, you want them.

Does Witherington address the ordained priestly (i.e., sacerdotal) aspect of ministry that is important to (e.g) Catholics, Orthodox, and Anglicans, or is his concern exclusively with ministry as it is typically understood by Protestants who don't claim (or desire) to have ordained priests?

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:57 PM

SineNomine:

Joseph Turner:
You may not be so sure, but trust me, you want them.

Does Witherington address the ordained priestly (i.e., sacerdotal) aspect of ministry that is important to (e.g) Catholics, Orthodox, and Anglicans, or is his concern exclusively with ministry as it is typically understood by Protestants who don't claim (or desire) to have ordained priests?

It is an exegetical study which takes into account all passages dealing with women in the ministry of Jesus and Paul.

From the back cover of Women in the Earliest Churches:

This book examines the roles and functions that women assumed in
the early Christian communities from AD 33 to the Council of Nicaea.
It surveys, too, the views about women held by various New
Testament authors including Paul and the Evangelists. In a careful
and judicious study, Ben Witherington III shows that early Christianity
was neither unreservedly patriarchal nor adamantly feminist in its
view of women and their roles, but rather charted a middle course
which combined a reforming of the predominantly patriarchal
framework of society with an affirmation of new religious roles for
women.

‘The best and fairest discussion of the horrendously controversial
issue of the place of women in early Christianity.’
Journal of Ecclesiastical History

‘The most significant study to be written on the women question so far
. . . No serious debate about the Biblical teaching on women can now
take place without taking into account the range of material and
conclusions in this book.’ Christian Book News

‘It presents a full and impartial discussion of material which is often
used selectively and polemically in contemporary debate.’
The Expository Times

Posts 5971
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 4:09 PM

Joseph Turner:

It is an exegetical study which takes into account all passages dealing with women in the ministry of Jesus and Paul.

From the back cover of Women in the Earliest Churches:

Thanks!

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 724
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 4:31 PM

Thank you for taking the time to bring these resources to our attention. I voted. I very much hope they are added to the Logos library and more books on the topic of women.

I will not be writing a paper about women for awhile yet. I am still very much at the listen stage. But I know the time is coming when I must come to a conclusion and decide how I will add my voice to the conversation.

We need more books. Even when we are citing them to disagree with them.

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 4:47 AM

SineNomine:
Thanks!

Kathleen Marie:
Thank you for taking the time to bring these resources to our attention.

You are both welcome!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS