Searching for Jesus' resurrection

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 464
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 30 2021 7:03 AM

I have a simple question: is there a single search that will return every mention of Jesus' resurrection? 

My focus is the book of Acts (I want to see how many times the apostles referred to Jesus' resurrection in their preaching). 

<sense resurrection> brings back 8 results.

<sense resurrection event> brings back 3 results (not all of which refer to Jesus' resurrection). 

It just seems that if <person Jesus> brings back every last reference to Jesus, there should be a single search term that brings back every single reference to the resurrection. Because otherwise I would have to know every tag used to refer to the resurrection, and how would I know that?

Posts 19202
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2021 10:38 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
I have a simple question: is there a single search that will return every mention of Jesus' resurrection? 

<ln23.93> OR <ln23.94> OR <ln23.95>

Gregory Lawhorn:
My focus is the book of Acts (I want to see how many times the apostles referred to Jesus' resurrection in their preaching). 

Acts resurrection also includes Tabitha.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 32110
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2021 3:34 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:
is there a single search that will return every mention of Jesus' resurrection? 

Lookup "Jesus Is Resurrected from Death" in Factbook or search <Event Jesus Is Resurrected from Death>

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 464
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 3:44 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Thanks - it never occurred to me to search for Loew and Nida numbers; I'll keep that in mind for future broad searches. 

Yes, I expected to filter out Tabitha, references to our resurrection, Lazarus (in John), etc. I'd rather catch too much and throw away the unneeded fish than miss the desired passages. 

Posts 464
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 3:47 AM

MJ. Smith:

Gregory Lawhorn:
is there a single search that will return every mention of Jesus' resurrection? 

Lookup "Jesus Is Resurrected from Death" in Factbook or search <Event Jesus Is Resurrected from Death>

Thanks, I'll try that too

Posts 181
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 5:14 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Thanks - it never occurred to me to search for Loew and Nida numbers; I'll keep that in mind for future broad searches. 

Yes, I expected to filter out Tabitha, references to our resurrection, Lazarus (in John), etc. I'd rather catch too much and throw away the unneeded fish than miss the desired passages. 

This shows how ignorant I am of my own library.  I had no idea how to use the resource let alone how to use it with a search. 

Can Hebrew be searched the same way?

Thanks KS4J and Greg for this thread.

KSC 

“The greatest single cause of atheism...is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” Brennan Marshall

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2021 5:13 PM

Kevin S. Coy:

Louw Nida numbers are restricted to NT Greek. If you have AFAT (The Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text) you might find some of its domains and Genre useful (see the associated Glossary).

<Sense...> is useful at the word level for Hebrew (see Tools > Bible Sense Lexicon). Type an English word into the Bible Search box to see the senses that are suggested with the "sense" symbol.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19202
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2021 7:49 PM

Kevin S. Coy:

An idea is starting with Factbook, which has a Biblical Senses section so can create a search:

<Sense resurrection> OR <Sense resurrection event> OR <Sense to make alive> OR <Sense to resurrect> OR <Sense to come to life> OR <Sense to return to life ⇔ awaken> OR <Sense to be made alive>

94B4 Factbook Resurrection Search Senses LHB

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 181
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 5:02 AM

Thanks, but I think I asked my question poorly.  You used ln#s in your previous search.  The way I was looking at it is you found the Greek word(s) for resurrection and searched using the ln #s.

Can you do search, with say numbers from a Hebrew lexicon, like you searched with ln #s?

I'm not familiar with original languages and the various lexicons and I still may not be asking my question  correctly....

Thanks,

KSC

“The greatest single cause of atheism...is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” Brennan Marshall

Posts 32110
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 12:34 PM

Kevin S. Coy:
Can you do search, with say numbers from a Hebrew lexicon, like you searched with ln #s?

Dave answered your question correctly -- the numbers are semantic domains which are available in Louw-Nida (Greek) and to a lesser degree off common use and specificity in Andersen-Forbes (Hebrew/Aramaic). These are the only lexicons in Logos that have this feature tagged in the original language text. The other tool that provides similar options is the Bible Sense Lexicon.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 181
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 12:48 PM

Thanks all!  

KSC

Posts 19202
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 5 2021 4:06 AM

Comparing Sense search results with <ln23.93> OR <ln23.94> OR <ln23.95> in New Testament found Factbook list of Senses could be expanded

<Sense resurrection> OR <Sense resurrection event> OR <Sense to make alive> OR <Sense to resurrect> OR <Sense to come to life> OR <Sense to be alive> OR <Sense to be made alive> OR <Sense to resurrect (another)> OR <Sense to rise up> OR <Sense to arise (originate)> OR <Sense to exist relationally ⇔ resurrect> OR <Sense to set up (erect)> OR <Sense rise (causation)>

Searching Lexham Hebrew Bible finds <Sense to resurrect (another)> in 2 Kings 8:1 & 2 Kings 8:5 while <Sense to rise up> finds many verses to consider.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS