How to search for all bible passages where people face decisions in their lives?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Jonathan Rhein | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 30 2021 8:14 AM

How would I best do a search for all bible passages where people (both from OT and NT) face decisions in their lives? I would like to learn from them and understand how to deal with decision making in a God pleasing manner. Does the bible browser offer some help in this regard or is there a better way?

I am happy for all tips and advice as I am rather new to Logos. Thank you!

Posts 32110
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 30 2021 3:43 PM

Jonathan Rhein:
a search for all bible passages where people (both from OT and NT) face decisions in their lives?

You can't do a search if you can't define what you mean - how do you propose to identify people "facing decisions"? What language constructs indicate "facing decisions"? If you were simply reading through the Bible looking for situations of "facing decisions", how would you know when you found one? Once you can answer these questions, I can tell you how to search for it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11
Jonathan Rhein | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 4:49 AM

MJ. Smith:
how do you propose to identify people "facing decisions"?

That is a good question! I thought Logos might have already created some dataset for this particular topic, such as "Miracles" which lets you filter through all miracles in the bible browser.

If this is not the case, then I guess I am searching for all occurrences where people ask God for His will on a particular question, like in 2Sam 5:19 OR when God speaks to people with regard to their way of life (e.g. instructions for next steps ahead), like in Gen 12:1.

I am not sure how to express the above criteria in language constructs. Would you know how to search for them?

Thank you!

Posts 5192
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 31 2021 12:20 PM

A broad-spectrum way of looking for these that would, I imagine, contain many false positives would be to search for all instances of Speaker = God or Addressee = God. Others will hopefully be able to narrow things down for you.

Posts 11
Jonathan Rhein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2021 5:54 AM

This approach is indeed very broad, but I guess it is the only chance I have. Thank you!

Posts 19202
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 1 2021 1:05 PM

Jonathan Rhein:
... or is there a better way?

Possibly Counseling Guide (Decision Making) and Topic Guide (Decision)

94B4 Decisions CG TG

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 464
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 4:52 AM

Jonathan Rhein:

This approach is indeed very broad, but I guess it is the only chance I have. Thank you!

This is my understanding of how searches work. 

The difficulty is in the way tags are created. Logos doesn't have an algorithm to create tags, or if they do, it's just the starting point. 

When you search for "Jesus," Logos goes through its index for that word. When you search for <person Jesus>, Logos goes through the tags that were created one-at-a-time by people. So, someone looked at Matthew 4:4 and decided to tag "he answered" as referring to Jesus, so that it comes up in the <person Jesus> search. 

To bring back the results you want, Logos would have to create a "someone asks God's help in making a decision" tag, and then go through Genesis to Revelation looking for the statements that, in their opinion, merit that tag. 

Posts 26581
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 2 2021 2:51 PM

Jonathan Rhein:
If this is not the case, then I guess I am searching for all occurrences where people ask God for His will on a particular question, like in 2Sam 5:19

In looking at this passage via the right-click Context Menu, I saw a Cultural Concept "Divine Assistance in Battle"  (after expanding Battle) and clicked on a Search. But "The Lexham Cultural Ontology Glossary" resource lists Divine activity,  so I plugged that into the previous Search  i.e. {Section <Culture Divine Activity>}. The Context menu also shows a number of Preaching Themes which might be useful e.g. God's Providence, Guidance.

Jonathan Rhein:
(e.g. instructions for next steps ahead), like in Gen 12:1.

This passage also shows God's Providence and Guidance.

Once you select a potential topic, just choose a Search on the other side of the Menu.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS