HELP!! Should I Upgrade my computer?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2292
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2021 4:36 AM

Lee:

Hello James as no one above has shared this with you I will.  I researched your model HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible.

Hello Lee,

The model you posted is not his configuration.  As James posted above, his is a m6-w105dx, product number M1V65UA.  His specs can be found here.  Note that the model you posted has an AMD Ryzen processor, and his has an Intel i7.  There are many configurations of the HP ENVY x360, and they are very different, as in the case of these two models.  

It does appear though that it might have an extra slot for an NVMe drive, as the slot seems to be next do the SSD in the video I linked to above; however, just my two cents, my recommendation would stay the same.  Unless James needs more than 1TB of space, it would be faster (everything is on an SSD), cheaper (the comparable NVMe drive is about $50 more than the comparable standard SSD), and simpler to simply replace the one HDD with an SSD.  If James needs extra space, then your method would certainly be best.  The ultimate would be to replace both drives, but again, unless he needs the space, I would keep it simple.

I also personally don't like to leave an old standard drive in a computer whenever I upgrade, as it will fail at some point in time, and if he has his data on it, it could potentially be at a higher risk of loss due to its aging.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1112
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2021 4:44 AM

Joseph,, after looking more at the model I see that the M.2 SSD port is having problems on that model also, so i guess the standard drive is the best choice 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 2292
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 8 2021 6:13 AM

Lee:

Joseph,, after looking more at the model I see that the M.2 SSD port is having problems on that model also, so i guess the standard drive is the best choice 

Lol, I did not see that in the short search I did.  I was coming back to say that your point concerning the speed benefit of an NVMe drive is certainly valid, and that would be the better upgrade if the slight bit more money is not an issue.  That's a good find on the port issues.  Technology is a wonderful thing when it works!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 9:23 AM

Joseph Turner:

For RAM I would get this.

For an SSD I would get this.

You would need this cable to do the migration.

Looking at the video for your exact model, it is more involved than I would recommend you do yourself, but this shouldn't cost much to get changed out at a computer shop.  The parts cost right at $200, and I wouldn't expect it to take a computer repair person more than 30 minutes.  The data migration will probably take the longest at about an hour if you have a lot of your 1TB used because it has to transfer over USB from the standard drive.

You might want to call and ask what a repair place would charge.  If you were near Birmingham, AL I would do it for you free of charge.  

FYI: Here is the video for your model, but you should not attempt it yourself unless you are confident.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question. I really appreciate it. I've been absent from the forums the last few days because of my daughters' surgery.

Joseph, I watched the video and it scared me to death. No way I'm going to tackle that. So I have a statement and a question:

I read on Best Buys Geek Squad that they only charge $39 per item installed. That would mean, if I understand them, $78 for both SSD and RAM upgrades. Now my question:

If I purchase the suggested 1Tb SSD and data cable, could I just plug it into a USB port and the disk, run the cloning software and then take it to BB for them to install, would that work? Or is there something else I would need to be done?

Not sure if this makes sense.

Posts 2292
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 9:37 AM

James H. Schafer:
If I purchase the suggested 1Tb SSD and data cable, could I just plug it into a USB port and the disk, run the cloning software and then take it to BB for them to install, would that work? Or is there something else I would need to be done?

Yes, I posted a video above for how to use the Samsung Migration Software.  Get the Samsung EVO 870 SSD and the data cable.  Download the Samsung Data Migration Software here, and follow the video.  Your computer will automatically shut down once it is finished migrating, and you can unplug the drive at that point.

I would read reviews about the Geek Squad in your area before I use them.  You might be able to find an independent computer repair shop that could be better, but reviews should let you know what it's like in your area.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 3:10 PM

Thanks, Joseph, for the heads-up on the Geek Squad. I did check and they have a 4.6 customer rating.

You know, I've watched the videos and don't feel confident, saw where I bought this laptop in 02/2016 (makes it 5 years old), some of the keys have to be hit 2+ times, so maybe I should just spring for a new one. I guess this is sort of like when you begin to get the 'new car fever.' All of a sudden you begin to see more and more flaws in your old one. Ha!!

At least I have a better understanding of what I would need, and or want, in another one. You along with all the others have been a tremendous help. Thanks so much!!

Posts 5474
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2021 12:46 AM

James H. Schafer:
I bought this laptop in 02/2016 (makes it 5 years old), some of the keys have to be hit 2+ times, so maybe I should just spring for a new one. I guess this is sort of like when you begin to get the 'new car fever.' All of a sudden you begin to see more and more flaws in your old one. Ha!!

Hi James,

I think there are two types of new computer purchaser. Those who know what they want despite what they might need or might be the best value and those who analyze what they need and then tweak the result with a couple of desires.

If you are the second type you should note that you are a 5 year plus computer lifetime guy. Draw up a 'Cost of Ownership' chart that covers at least 5 years and detail the annual running cost, subscriptions, replacement parts expected over the period, and only then, when the 'total cost of ownership' has been calculated, add the desires and make your choice.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2755
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 10 2021 2:05 PM

Mike Binks:
Draw up a 'Cost of Ownership' chart that covers at least 5 years and detail the annual running cost, subscriptions, replacement parts expected over the period, and only then, when the 'total cost of ownership' has been calculated, add the desires and make your choice.

I've got three machines sitting here past 5 years of ownership. I am so grateful to mostly leave them to sit at the moment. I would use them more if I had done upgrades on them but you know what happens every single month? Something new on Logos and, well, it's on sale, and well, um, you know...Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS