Can Science Complement Faith In this Pandemic

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3410
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2021 12:30 PM

As the world copes with the raging storm of the COVID19 pandemic, what light can the faith community shine on the dark challenges of illness prevention, sickness and, death? What guidance can we find in Logos resources, and from our faith leaders, and, of course, from our Bible?

How can science and faith partner to provide a clear and consistent message that will lead us out of this challenge and prepare us for the future? There are a host of issues that we confront, one of the thorny issues raised is the ethical dilemma surrounding vaccine development, testing, and production using fetal cell lines obtained from aborted (some insist maybe miscarried) fetuses.

I write this because I have found very little, nay I must say I've found nothing of substance on this topic in the Logos catalog. I also sought titles on Amazon and I again found nothing. Prayer and meditation give me both guidance and comfort, and when I'm troubled I read the Psalms. My pastor is very practical and limits to an essential few those that can be in the church building during live streaming of our Sunday morning service. I thank the good LORD that our president is offering solid leadership during this crisis.

But, I'm about to travel to TX where there is no mandate to wear a face-covering. I am vaccinated so my sole concern is the fact that the predominant strain in the community is the more virulent UK strain B117 and the medical community is not certain as to the effectiveness of the vaccine with this strain. Suffice it to say, I will be using all the same precautions I take here in VA. If you've read this mini-rant, I thank you for hearing me out, I had to get this off my chest. I think I'm troubled about the travel. Please pray for my 25 y.o. nephew who has a rare tumor in his upper abdomen, he's on chemotherapy in hopes to shrink it so that the surgeon can remove it.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 839
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 12:59 PM

John Piper's new book Providence perhaps for your trip. - Gospel Coalition Review

Your nephew will be in my prayers, for healing, and for strength and faith for him and those who know him.

I often find trepidation comes before really seeing the Lord at work, perhaps the trip will bring some unexpected fruit.

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 1:23 PM

Beloved Amodeo, I'm reading a great resource in Logos on Prayer based on this:

"The verse in question was John 15:7. It is a challenging statement that Jesus uttered in the middle of a talk to his disciples often called the vine and the branches discourse. The verse says this: “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you"

Hazen, C. J. (2018). Fearless prayer: why we don’t ask and why we should. Eugene, OR: Harvest House Publishers.

Being found in Christ should bring us comfort, no matter the circumstances life brings, and prayer should be our source for such comfort. I believe in prayer and the power it brings, too many instances to say in a post. Hope that resource might be a good comfort for you.

Praying for your nephew!

Blessings ( I've had 2 shots of the vaccine and still alive Big Smile )

A good article on the vaccine is found here https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/patients/coronavirus-information/vaccines/busting-myths  

Posts 3410
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:10 PM

I thank you two brothers for your prayers and kind words. I will put to good use your recommendations. There is certainly spiritual power in righteous prayer and God's will is always for good.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1282
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:18 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
I write this because I have found very little, nay I must say I've found nothing of substance on this topic in the Logos catalog. I also sought titles on Amazon and I again found nothing.

Agree. I really fear a situation where Christians' claimed right to spread the plague, becomes another worldly identifier, especially with the varients equation. But one should thank the little scientific company in Vancouver Canada for how to more ethically transport the antibodies (Pfizer/Moderna).

I guess we're a hair off the forum guidance, but if it makes you feel any better, we're in a who-cares state (AZ), returning from another one (Utah). And, surprisingly, people are pretty diligent about protecting each other. Visiting Bryce Canyon National Park, in heavy wind, looking down on the beauty, I didn't put on a mask. About 100 people were staring at me. I appreciated their values (and quickly conformed).

Posts 3410
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:42 PM

DMB:

Beloved Amodeo:
I write this because I have found very little, nay I must say I've found nothing of substance on this topic in the Logos catalog. I also sought titles on Amazon and I again found nothing.

Agree. I really fear a situation where Christians' claimed right to spread the plague, becomes another worldly identifier, especially with the varients equation. But one should thank the little scientific company in Vancouver Canada for how to more ethically transport the antibodies (Pfizer/Moderna).

I guess we're a hair off the forum guidance, but if it makes you feel any better, we're in a who-cares state (AZ), returning from another one (Utah). And, surprisingly, people are pretty diligent about protecting each other. Visiting Bryce Canyon National Park, in heavy wind, looking down on the beauty, I didn't put on a mask. About 100 people were staring at me. I appreciated their values (and quickly conformed).

This may not be on topic, but, the LORD gave me a sublime revelation during a personal time of trial. He revealed that he is an Artist. He takes whatever is on hand and makes things of breathtaking beauty. Whenever I witness a sunrise or sunset I remember this lesson. In his hands something as ugly as the Cross was transformed into the beauty of the hope of Salvation.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS