Congratulations FL...but you shouldn't win.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5235
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 2:02 PM

NB.Mick:
note that currently four books by Ehrman are sold by FL, one a PrePub shipping on Wednesday - just in case you missed it (none of those published by Lexham).

Thank you...I did miss that.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 462
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 3:06 PM

NB.Mick:

Gregory,

I find your examples of "false teachers and theologies" to be offensive, unkind and against the rules in this forum. Please consider editing your post to bring it in line with the overall spirit here, which I believe recognizes that there are different teachers and theologies, and different interpretations, and that all of use want to learn more and have to learn more, using Logos software and Logos resources to that end. 

First, I meant no offense. I believe that the groups I named (among others) are demonstrably unbiblical in their doctrine. 

Second, Logos sells a fairly large and broad amount of resources which identity these groups (among others) as false and unbiblical, such as "The Roman Catholic Controversy" by James R. White. 

Third, the original post promoted a particular theological opinion; it was not a discussion of how to use Logos, or what resources are available. My post was very much in the spirit of the OP's post. I know that such topics are banned, but when someone with the standing of MJ contributes, without warning the OP that the topic is contrary to the rules of the forum, who am I to disagree?

Thanks for your comment

Posts 992
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 3:26 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

I believe that the groups I named (among others) are demonstrably unbiblical in their doctrine. 

Many disagree Super Angry

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:18 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:
Faithlife also sells Roman Catholic resources, prosperity "gospel" resources, and other false teachers and theologies (such as books by Frederick K. Price and Sarah Young), all of which are significantly more spiritually dangerous than a disagreement over whether the Pharisees followed the Law "to the letter" while missing the spirit of the Law, or completely missed the "letter of the Law."

You have been in the forums long enough to know that statements of this type are forbidden by the guidelines. Yes, I agree that Faithlife sells "spiritually dangerous" resources but I follow the guidelines and do not identify them out of respect for the many forum users who apparently purchase such resources. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 462
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:24 PM

MJ. Smith:

Gregory Lawhorn:
Faithlife also sells Roman Catholic resources, prosperity "gospel" resources, and other false teachers and theologies (such as books by Frederick K. Price and Sarah Young), all of which are significantly more spiritually dangerous than a disagreement over whether the Pharisees followed the Law "to the letter" while missing the spirit of the Law, or completely missed the "letter of the Law."

You have been in the forums long enough to know that statements of this type are forbidden by the guidelines and only show your own hubris. Yes, I agree that Faithlife sells "spiritually dangerous" resources but I follow the guidelines and do not identify them out of respect for the many forum users who apparently purchase such resources. 

I yield the ground, but not the argument. Have a blessed evening, all!

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:30 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:
Second, Logos sells a fairly large and broad amount of resources which identity these groups (among others) as false and unbiblical, such as "The Roman Catholic Controversy" by James R. White. 

It also sells a large number of resources that show Catholicism to be Biblical ...and if you follow the reasoning and logic of the two bodies of literature you will find the two bodies are not equals in probable truthfulness.

Gregory Lawhorn:
I know that such topics are banned, but when someone with the standing of MJ contributes, without warning the OP that the topic is contrary to the rules of the forum, who am I to disagree?

Please read my post more carefully. I did not warn the OP that the topic was contrary to the rules of the forum because I do not believe it to be so. You are, in fact, disagreeing with me in a rather deceptive way -- good rhetoric, bad reasoning. Note also that in my post, I specifically invited people to disagree with me.

However, should someone attack your theological position in these forum, rest assured I will come to your defense ... without regard to my position on that theology. ...  

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5186
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:46 PM

David Paul:
I think there is a difference in that FL doesn't publish those resources, and it is primarily their role as publisher that I am addressing.

Faithlife does publish Catholic resources,* just in case you missed that. I suppose there's an argument to be made that Faithlife doesn't publish "Roman Catholic" (whatever that means) ones, though. Wink

*See also 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, as well as this 2019 Lexham resource that deserves an honourable mention because its foreword and afterword are by Catholics.

Posts 8032
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 4:59 PM

Off topic but we do need the New World’s Translation with interlinear.  I could really use that in Logos.  I have some sample pages that I need to study with JW’s and it has been very helpful, but it’d be nice if Logos offered it for research purposes 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 8032
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2021 6:16 PM

Yeah David Wanat, it is the JW’s translation.  I’m not one but it’s been helpful when studying with them since they’d rather use their own translation when studying. And since FL is all inclusive then this would be a great addition to their catalog 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1023
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 6:45 PM

DAL:

Yeah David Wanat, it is the JW’s translation.  I’m not one but it’s been helpful when studying with them since they’d rather use their own translation when studying. And since FL is all inclusive then this would be a great addition to their catalog 👍😁👌

DAL

Yeah, I can see the value in understanding what groups like the JW see when they read the Bible rather than assume their version is the same.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 19201
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 8:45 PM

David Wanat:

DAL:

DAL

Yeah, I can see the value in understanding what groups like the JW see when they read the Bible rather than assume their version is the same.

Christian Discourse has a lengthy thread => Jesus ? "Not God" ? Savior ? (human belief filters what can be seen in any Bible).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 9:00 PM

For a very interesting look at the translation of a single phrase see (99+) (PDF) "A Dark Speakyng": English Translations of 1 Corinthians 13:12 and What We Can See in Them | Curtis Gruenler - Academia.edu ... I highly recommend it as readable and related to translations we are all familar with.

Posts 11701
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 11:26 PM

MJ. Smith:

For a very interesting look at the translation of a single phrase see (99+) (PDF) "A Dark Speakyng": English Translations of 1 Corinthians 13:12 and What We Can See in Them | Curtis Gruenler - Academia.edu ... I highly recommend it as readable and related to translations we are all familar with.

Wow, thanks!

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 1:42 AM

David Paul:
Take just a moment to contemplate the multiple dozens of people who have encountered this and were not just fully content to let it pass, but considered this laudable and worthy of commendation!

It has been pointed out to me that this post takes for granted the method of Pandora’s Box Opened: An Examination and Defense of Historical-Critical Method and Its Master Practitioners | Logos Bible Software. Would our response be the same if we thought in the method of Rhetorical Criticism: Context, Method, and the Book of Jonah | Logos Bible Software? Fascinating option to consider.

Posts 8032
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 2:05 AM

Thanks for the links Keep Smiling and MJ! Very helpful 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 5235
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:24 AM

MJ. Smith:

David Paul:
Take just a moment to contemplate the multiple dozens of people who have encountered this and were not just fully content to let it pass, but considered this laudable and worthy of commendation!

It has been pointed out to me that this post takes for granted the method of Pandora’s Box Opened: An Examination and Defense of Historical-Critical Method and Its Master Practitioners | Logos Bible Software. Would our response be the same if we thought in the method of Rhetorical Criticism: Context, Method, and the Book of Jonah | Logos Bible Software? Fascinating option to consider.

What the post (that is, moi) takes for granted can not be ascertained by anyone assuming they can discern what I take for granted. From what I can tell, the first book is a middlin' though ultimately positive perspective on hist-crit. My take on the Bible has a very, very low view of historical absolutism, especially as it insists on historical context as the "proper" domain of interpretation. As I've said plenty of times, my take on Scripture is that it is a prophetic book written by an Author fixated on communicating His will using the language of prophecy. In such a scenario, history (whatever that is, and speaking of taking things for granted, history is a phantom that people assume is somehow tangible) is simply not His concern, but rather His focus is expressed through principles elaborated through prophetic communication (that is, figurative language with actual, tangible application and results). To use some scholarly three dollar words, history is slavishly diachronic, while prophecy is utterly synchronic. The context of the Bible is the Bible's own language and expressions, found front to back and engaged in one giant lump. In the Bible, prophecy trumps all. So, is the taken-for-granted assumption regarding what the OP takes for granted inside out and backwards? Could be, but I wouldn't take it for granted.

I actually have the other two Tribble books from this collection in hard copy, and I have 2-3 other books from the set that Rhetorical Criticism is a part of in hard copy also. I actually might have that book, too, but I often lose track of what's in my tangible library.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 360
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:35 AM

Sometimes I am amused at how quickly people start throwing daggers.

Amazing.   But I didn't mean to start anything.... just would love to get into a good discussion about the original topic.... 

mis disculpas!

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 5256
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:42 AM

xnman:

† † † † † †

xnman:

.... just would love to get into a good discussion about the original topic.... 

mis disculpas!

Experience shows that the level of kindness required seems to evade this forum -- hence we choose to avoid unkindness.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 32097
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 12:43 PM

David Paul:
What the post (that is, moi) takes for granted can not be ascertained by anyone assuming they can discern what I take for granted.

The two books referenced were simply examples of particular schools of Biblical criticism (study) for those forum users who might not recognize them solely by name.  You are absolutely correct that I cannot discern what you are consciously taking for granted. What one can do, however, is discern what presuppositions are required for your argument to make sense ... which is all I was trying to say ... and all that was said to me to trigger my consideration of the issue in a different light. 

Posts 5235
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:08 PM

xnman:

Daggers??? All I did was clarify that something I said, which was described as taking a particular viewpoint for granted, actually was said from a perspective that holds a view almost the exact opposite of what was supposedly "taken for granted". The comment was about as hefty and pointy as a plastic butter knife. The only purpose and motivation of my comment was clarification. I have no problem at all with people disagreeing with what I say; I just want their disagreement to be based upon an accurate understanding and appraisal of my perspective.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS