The Messiah in the OT/Hebrew Bible

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 15 2021 1:02 PM

Can anyone suggest any resources that trace the idea of 'messiah' in the OT/Hb. bible? 

mm. 

mm.

Posts 196
Richard J. Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2021 1:22 PM

It would be nice to have The Messiah in the Old Testament by Walter Kaiser in Logos.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2021 1:31 PM

Hey Richard, you could suggest it. Looks good. 

Roadmap | Faithlife Feedback

mm.

Posts 29736
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2021 1:37 PM

Richard J. Ward:

It would be nice to have The Messiah in the Old Testament by Walter Kaiser in Logos.

It would be good! It was one of my textbooks in my Master's program. The things working against it coming to Logos are three: is that it is an older resource, does not have an ebook edition, and is more limited in its audience. I'm not holding my breath. Tongue Tied

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 16
John LeBlanc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:19 PM
Reading Moses, Seeing Jesus:  How the Torah Fulfills Its Goal in Yeshua, by Seth Postell, Eitan Bar and Erez Soref
Posts 182
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:27 AM

YesYes

I would love to have both of these resources.

KSC

“The greatest single cause of atheism...is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” Brennan Marshall

Posts 131
Dave Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:57 AM

John LeBlanc:
Reading Moses, Seeing Jesus:  How the Torah Fulfills Its Goal in Yeshua, by Seth Postell, Eitan Bar and Erez Soref

This is great, and there's a 30% Logos discount on it through Michael Heiser's podcast at the moment (https://nakedbiblepodcast.com/podcast/naked-bible-371-reading-moses-seeing-jesus/)!

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 7:40 AM

Quick question.

The Logos edition that is available, is it like the FL Ebooks? Tagging is not so good etc? Or is it like the "good" Logos books that are tagged and well formatted?

I'll get the book, which answers some of my question as long as it's not a FL Ebook.

mm.

Posts 29736
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 8:52 AM

Milkman:
The Logos edition that is available, is it like the FL Ebooks? Tagging is not so good etc? Or is it like the "good" Logos books that are tagged and well formatted?

I don't own it but it is not a FLEB title. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 518
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 8:58 AM

Dave Couch:

John LeBlanc:

This is great, and there's a 30% Logos discount on it through Michael Heiser's podcast at the moment (https://nakedbiblepodcast.com/podcast/naked-bible-371-reading-moses-seeing-jesus/)!

Thanks for pointing this out. I just purchased it and it is a Logos edition.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 11:27 AM

Thanks Bama and Nord! 

mm.

Posts 19388
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 12:06 PM

Logos Basic Search ([field heading,largetext] Messiah) WITHIN 11 WORDS (old,prophecy) finds many articles:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 2:20 PM

Yep, that was helpful. 

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Logos Basic Search ([field heading,largetext] Messiah) WITHIN 11 WORDS (old,prophecy) finds many articles:

Keep Smiling Smile

mm.

Posts 19388
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 4:19 PM

Logos Bible Search in Lexham Hebrew Bible for {Label Messianic Prophecy WHERE Relationship ~ "Citation"} OR {Label Messianic Prophecy} finds 73 verses (could be expanded: e.g. Genesis 3:15)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 5:27 PM

Richard J. Ward:

Milkman:

Hey Richard, you could suggest it. Looks good. 

I've just suggested it. Please go vote for it.

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/the-messiah-in-the-old-testament

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:22 PM

Well my vote makes 3 and counting. 

mm.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:22 PM

No offence meant KS4J but I scroll past your comments when the include a Dark Mode screen shot. I can’t see what you are trying to show. A shame but if I can’t see the picture, I can’t see it.  

Posts 19388
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 8:41 PM

DIsciple II:

No offence meant KS4J but I scroll past your comments when the include a Dark Mode screen shot. I can’t see what you are trying to show. A shame but if I can’t see the picture, I can’t see it.  

One option is opening picture in an application that can invert colors. Another is copying search in my reply comments for use in your Logos/Verbum installation OR clicking link to open search in Web App (OR application).

Logos Basic Search ([field heading,largetext] Messiah) WITHIN 11 WORDS (old,prophecy) finds many articles:

Logos Bible Search in Lexham Hebrew Bible for {Label Messianic Prophecy WHERE Relationship ~ "Citation"} OR {Label Messianic Prophecy} finds 73 verses (could be expanded: e.g. Genesis 3:15)

FYI: different eyes have various light & colour sensitivities. Using light mode at night for screen shots caused my eyes to wince (helped me appreciate some forum comments about resource icon brightness hurting, while also remembering some other comments about dark mode usability: application has various contrast issues and some human eyes struggle with dark mode).

Faithlife feedback has 3 votes => Please expand Application Theme choices

Caveat: new feedback website needs a separate login so please vote => Add the feedback website to the Faithlife SSO system that has 16 votes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 9:08 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
FYI: different eyes have various light & colour sensitivities.

Understand and respect that which is why I was reflecting back to you that some people have diffculty reading dark mode.

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2021 10:06 PM

Milkman:
Can anyone suggest any resources that trace the idea of 'messiah' in the OT/Hb. bible? 

Messianic publishers (e.g., Ariel Ministries, Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry) are a good place to look.

Here's a bibliography created from books in my Logos library with ("Messiah" in the title AND "Old Testament" mentioned somewhere in the metadata) OR tagged by me ChristInOT. I removed a few that weren't relevant, and this is what's left:

Abernethy, Andrew T., and Gregory Goswell. God’s Messiah in the Old Testament: Expectations of a Coming King. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2020.

Bateman, Herbert W., IV, Darrell L. Bock, and Gordon H. Johnston. Jesus the Messiah: Tracing the Promises, Expectations, and Coming of Israel’s King. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Academic, 2012.

Boa, Kenneth. Jesus in the Bible. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, Inc., 2002.

Borland, James A. Christ in the Old Testament. Fearn, UK: Christian Focus Publications, 1999.

Brickner, David. Christ in the Feast of Tabernacles. Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2006.

Brickner, David, and Rich Robinson. Christ in the Feast of Pentecost. Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2008.

Chen, Kevin S. The Messianic Vision of the Pentateuch. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2019.

Clowney, Edmund. Preaching Christ in All of Scripture. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2003.

DeHaan, M. R. Portraits of Christ in Genesis. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1995.

Fortner, Don. Discovering Christ in All the Scriptures. Danville, KY: Don Fortner, 2007.

Fruchtenbaum, Arnold G. Messianic Christology: A Study of Old Testament Prophecy Concerning the First Coming of the Messiah. Tustin, CA: Ariel Ministries, 1998.

Goodspeed, George Stephen. Israel’s Messianic Hope to the Time of Jesus. New York; London: The Macmillan Company; Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1900.

Hengstenberg, E.W. Christology of the Old Testament. Vol. 1, 1854.

Hengstenberg, E.W. Christology of the Old Testament. Vol. 2, 1854.

Hengstenberg, E.W. Christology of the Old Testament. Vol. 3, 1854.

Hengstenberg, E.W. Christology of the Old Testament. Vol. 4, 1854.

Juel, Donald. Messianic Exegesis: Christological Interpretation of the Old Testament in Early Christianity. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1992.

Levy, David M. The Tabernacle: Shadows of the Messiah: Its Sacrifices, Services, and Priesthood. Bellmawr, NJ: Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry, 1993.

Meldau, Fred John. The Prophets Still Speak : Messiah in Both Testaments. Bellmawr, NJ: Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry, 1988.

Northrup, Bernard E. Recognizing Your Messiah in the Psalms: Finding Christ in the Psalms. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997.

Porter, Stanley E. The Messiah in the Old and New Testaments. McMaster New Testament Studies. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2007.

Rose Publishing. Christ in the Passover. Torrance, CA: Rose Publishing, 2012.

Reymond, Robert L. Jesus, Divine Messiah: The New and Old Testament Witness. Fearn, UK: Christian Focus Publications, 2003.

Rosen, Ceil, and Moishe Rosen. Christ in the Passover: Why Is This Night Different?. Chicago, IL: Moody Publishers, 2006.

Rugh, W. W. Christ in the Tabernacle: Person and Work of Jesus Christ. Willow Grove, PA: Woodlawn Electronic Publishing, 1998.

Rydelnik, Michael. The Messianic Hope: Is the Hebrew Bible Really Messianic?. Nashville, TN: B&H, 2010.

Spurgeon, Charles H. Christ in the Old Testament: Sermons on the Foreshadowing of Our Lord in Old Testament History, Ceremony, and Prophecy. Electronic edition. Pulpit Legends. Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 1998.

NOTE: Hengstenberg's 4-volume Christology of the Old Testament is a PB. See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/53126.aspx

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS