What does "NaN:NaN" mean on the Feedback site?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 33251
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 9:17 PM

For some of us, that location contains the length of time left to edit the post. Among the possibilities for your screen:

• you accidently linked to the site in an alternative universe and the browser was unable to make the time conversion
  • the troll under the Bellingham State Street has been disturbed by the bridge work and is expressing his/her displeasure by messing with internet contents
  • very curious ... I've not seen that before.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 9:28 PM

In Software terms, NaN means "Not a Number" - which in Mathematics is normally 0 / 0.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaN 

Posts 33251
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 9:40 PM

Wikipedia:
Systematic use of NaNs was introduced by the IEEE 754 floating-point standard in 1985, along with the representation of other non-finite quantities such as infinities.

Who gave them permission to invent "numbers" after I finished formal education? Outrageous.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3837
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 10:23 PM

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 10:59 PM

MJ. Smith:

For some of us, that location contains the length of time left to edit the post. Among the possibilities for your screen:

• you accidently linked to the site in an alternative universe and the browser was unable to make the time conversion
  • the troll under the Bellingham State Street has been disturbed by the bridge work and is expressing his/her displeasure by messing with internet contents
  • very curious ... I've not seen that before.

Interesting. I do seem to recall it used to show me how much time I had left, but in recent months it's always been showing NaN:NaN. I have no idea what could have caused that. I haven't changed browsers.

Posts 286
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 11:12 PM

Glenn Crouch:
NaN means "Not a Number"

It also, in software terms implies, a mismatch of type e.g. a function is expecting a number but is getting a string or null etc. It will be some glitch in code or being unable to retrieve something (a number) from a database etc.

It most likely will not be something you have done e.g. a change of browser etc.

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 11:20 PM

Yes this is where I have come across the terminology James.

James Hudson:

Glenn Crouch:
NaN means "Not a Number"

It also, in software terms implies, a mismatch of type e.g. a function is expecting a number but is getting a string or null etc. It will be some glitch in code or being unable to retrieve something (a number) from a database etc.

It most likely will not be something you have done e.g. a change of browser etc.

Posts 1939
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2021 2:20 AM

I think it's shorthand for 'Nan:Nanana, hey hey, goodbye'

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 514
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2021 3:15 AM

Robert M. Warren:

Beat me to it Big Smile

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2021 1:46 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS