Follow command for commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:19 AM

I don't think you can do this right now.  I am suggesting that we be able to set commentaries to follow like the information window does.  It is so frustrating when I am reading through a verse and have a link to a commentary on which I click and it takes me from 19:1 to 17:1-22 depending on the commentary. 

Posts 24651
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:28 AM

John

Sorry I don't understand.

What type of resource are you reading when you come across a link to a commentary and what happens when you click it?

Graham

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:36 AM

John,

Are you suggesting that the commentaries include the follow link as below:

I suspect that would drag the system (not matter how powerful) pretty badly. 

But i think to avoid the type of behavior you're describing, if I understand you correctly, is to assign a linkset to the commentary and you're selected Bible.

Otherwise, like Graham, I'm not certain exactly what you're describing.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 7:24 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys. 

I am suggesting that as I read through a passage that I can assign a commentary to follow the bible that I reading.  What happens is say I have a link set of A for a bible and a commentary.  If the commentary doesn't cover every verse, it tries to find the closest verse instead of the verse that I am reading in the bible.  So then it changes my bible passage to sometimes another chapter. 

Basically what I am trying to do is use a specific commentary as sort of a Study Bible.  Where as  I read a passage if the commentary has something to say about the particular verse it would come up as I scroll.  The way it is set up now, the commentary can tell the Bible that I am reading from where to go to.  I don't like that.  Hope that makes more sense. 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 7:38 AM

John,

It sounds like you're hoping that a linkset with a Bible and commentary that the Bible will only lead and the commentary will only follow.

I like that suggestion.  Yes

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 24651
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:16 AM

Hi John

Thanks for the clarification.

I have just tried this using the NIV and a couple of different commentaries (New Bible Commentary and the IVP Bible Background Commentary:OT) and have set them all to be in Linkset A.

As I scroll down the Bible, the commentaries move to match the place I am reading in the Bible so - as long as I don't move the commentary directly - this seems to give the effect you are looking for.

It sounds as though you get a different result.

Graham 

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:17 AM

Thomas Black:

John,

It sounds like you're hoping that a linkset with a Bible and commentary that the Bible will only lead and the commentary will only follow.

I like that suggestion.  Yes

Yes this is what I want. 

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:18 AM

Graham Criddle:
as long as I don't move the commentary directly

I would add or click to bring that particular commentary on the screen.  If it is hidden by another commentary and you click on its tab to bring it forward it messes everything else up.

Posts 24651
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:24 AM

Thanks John

I understand now - and agree that this would be a really good feature.

Graham 

Posts 24651
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:33 AM

In the meantime if you are able to have both commentaries displayed at the same time along with your Bible I think it works (I have just tried it).

I know it takes up more space but it might be a short-term, working solution.

Graham 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:46 AM

John, I like your idea also, and want to add my vote.  Some logos users have multiple monitors, in which case you can have a duplicate of your Bible open and link it to link set A and send hyperlinks here, if you so desire. Your primary study Bible then, would remain unlinked. Back to your suggestion, perhaps the link set could be designated with a capital A,B,C....  and a lower case a, b, c....  so that the lower case link set only followed the upper case set.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:58 AM

Jerry Mclean:
the link set could be designated with a capital A,B,C....  and a lower case a, b, c....  so that the lower case link set only followed the upper case set.

i like the OP's (EDIT: John Graves') suggestion and your proposed method to deal with it.  I'd rather commentaries only follow.  If i want to see the scripture I am studying in the commentary--if it is different than my "A" Bible, I can merely set up another Bible with "send links here" and click on the verse reference in the commentary to open the Bible to where I want.

Yes

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 10:50 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Jerry Mclean:
the link set could be designated with a capital A,B,C....  and a lower case a, b, c....  so that the lower case link set only followed the upper case set.

i like the OP's (EDIT: John Graves') suggestion and your proposed method to deal with it.

Yes

Same here... this would be a real improvement...

YesYes

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 4:46 PM

Yes

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS