booksaboutjews.com how to escape?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8
Florian Kurrle | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 27 2021 8:39 AM

Hi all,

It happend to me that I am part of the newsletter booksaboutjews.com

There is no way to unsubscribe. They do not answer or react to the unsubscribe button.

I have read that many people have the same problem.

Does anybody knows about this newsletter and why I am part of or how to escape?

Is Logos working maybe with them together as a partner and can help?

Blessings

Flo

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 27 2021 9:46 AM

I don’t think it has anything to do with Logos. A google search provided a Facebook page with many “unsubscribe me” posts. It is likely some sort of spam scheme. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1105
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 27 2021 10:05 AM

Hello I also had the same problem, I used the unsubscribe maybe 5 times and it didn't work for me either. 

On my G-mail acct I just marked the as Spam and now I don't get the messages any more.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 5319
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 1:28 AM

Greetings Florian

I think Lee has the only solution. Set your email to recognise the address and filter the mail to a Junk/Spam mailbox that automatically deletes the contents after a timed interval.

If you need more specific help you will need to tell us which email program you are using. I can help with MacMail but there are others that use esoteric alternatives.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 216
Tobias Gerbothe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 8:51 AM

Florian Kurrle:

Hi all,

It happend to me that I am part of the newsletter booksaboutjews.com

There is no way to unsubscribe. They do not answer or react to the unsubscribe button.

I have read that many people have the same problem.

Does anybody knows about this newsletter and why I am part of or how to escape?

Is Logos working maybe with them together as a partner and can help?

Blessings

Flo

Same here. The page was once advertised in a FL newsletter. Now since some weeks ago there is spam all over. Unsubscribelink tells me that it works, but does not...

Posts 2801
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 9:57 AM

Lee:

Hello I also had the same problem, I used the unsubscribe maybe 5 times and it didn't work for me either. 

On my G-mail acct I just marked the as Spam and now I don't get the messages any more.

That's not a good solution at all for the following reason:

Gmail and the other major email providers learn from user behavior. When people start marking messages as spam, then at some point these messages will go to the spam folders of all users globally, including all the tousands of subscribers who actually want to receive and read the messages.

Therefore, marking emails as spam that aren't spam is a harmful action to the business that sends these emails (and an annoyance for regular subscribers).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 29474
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 10:28 AM

Jan Krohn:

Gmail and the other major email providers learn from user behavior. When people start marking messages as spam, then at some point these messages will go to the spam folders of all users globally, including all the tousands of subscribers who actually want to receive and read the messages.

Therefore, marking emails as spam that aren't spam is a harmful action to the business that sends these emails (and an annoyance for regular subscribers).

I understand where you are coming from, but when the email list doesn't provide a way to unsubscribe... it is spam. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5361
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 10:36 AM

Jan Krohn:

Lee:

If the Unsubscribe option actually worked, then it would be a bad solution.

Posts 993
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 1:26 PM

Jan Krohn:

Therefore, marking emails as spam that aren't spam

But they ARE spam, that's the OP's problem. Any email you get that you have indicated you no longer wish to receive is by definition spam.

Posts 4565
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 28 2021 1:48 PM

I suffered emails from this site for a long time but I don't remember how I figured out how to stop them. I know the unsubscribe link doesn't work but I feel like there was another link somewhere in that email you could go and unsubscribe.

Posts 473
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 5:22 AM

FWIW, "unsubscribing" from spam emails just tells them that your email address is valid. Spammers often use algorithms to create emails, and send them out. I never unsubscribe from spam emails; I just mark them as spam, and delete them from that folder without opening them (which is another signal that your email address is valid). 

Posts 465
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 6:25 AM

Hi there - I had the same problem with emails being received from them (with various email address also) and their unsubscribe link did not work. The unwanted emails were from:

news@booksaboutjews.com

info@booksaboutjews.com

admin@booksaboutjews.com

My solution was to email Customer Service at the Israel Bible Centre and request that my email address be removed. I emailed info@israelbiblecenter.com and received a reply from service@israelbiblecenter.zendesk.com and they actioned the unsubscription. I no longer receive those emails. 

Hope this helps. Keep well Paul 

Posts 32516
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2021 2:59 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:
unsubscribing" from spam emails just tells them that your email address is valid.

How to Unsubscribe from Email Newsletters the Correct Way (howtogeek.com)

CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov)

I have found unsubscribing reasonably effective -- not perfect but satisfactory

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1131
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 9:29 AM

I also tried to unsubscribe but even though I get a confirmation, it does not change anything. It only confirms to them that I actually look at the e-mail. So I declared it as spam and all their e-mails went into my spam folder. After a few months, they find their way back into my inbox. I then identify them again as spam. 

Posts 364
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 11:36 AM

I had the same problem...was able to "unsubscribe" the first time and then maybe a month or two passes, and suddenly I am back on their email list...and then I was unable to "unsubscribe."

FINALLY in one of their emails, I saw the author that was listed and it advertised as being on Amazon. I went there, found the book...saw the info about the author (at ICOB) and then I wrote him an email directly. He profusely apologized and removed my name from the list and I have been off the list now for a few months.

SO the above steps will get you the "escape" you are seeking! Cool

Posts 8
Florian Kurrle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 3:51 AM

What is a FL Newsletter? :-)

Posts 8
Florian Kurrle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 3:55 AM

Thank you for the insight with the israelbiblecenter

Maybe I should do that or I will mark them as Spam :-)

If I am very annoyed I could write the government agency which is responsible to react in this kind of things.

Posts 3304
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 4:25 AM

I blocked sender so I never see them and they get dumped.

Posts 216
Tobias Gerbothe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2021 12:49 AM

Florian Kurrle:

What is a FL Newsletter? :-)

one of the E-Mails of the various lists ("from our partners" in that case) from Faithlife

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS