Access Library from +New Tab

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2253
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2021 6:54 AM

When I add a new tab, a list of recently opened resources are available for me to pick from.  But I would love to be able to type in a resource that may not appear in the recently opened panel and then be able to click to pull it up.

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:14 AM

Yes, yes, yes!!! I've been intending to suggest this for a long time but have been too lazy.

This would let me control the specific tab (and thus pane/window) that a newly-opened resource appears in. Put a search box in the newly-opened tab and a reasonable way to present matches.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 264
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 11:12 AM

Yeah, I would love to see this as well. I cannot say how many times I have actually tried to do this & then remembered that I have to start at the Library icon. 

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 2:23 PM

I assume that you know that you can type Open book title into the Command box, select the book from the list to open a book.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 264
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 2:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

I assume that you know that you can type Open book title into the Command box, select the book from the list to open a book.

I was not aware of this. 

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 3:45 PM

Martin Hall:
I was not aware of this. 

It by far my most common way of opening a resource.  I keep forgetting not everyone uses the tools the same way I do. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to remind people of this option.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2253
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 8:10 PM

MJ. Smith:

Still trying to figure out how this works

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:38 PM

Mark:
Still trying to figure out how this works

To open Julian of Norwich. Julian of Norwich: Showings. Edited by Richard J. Payne. Translated by Edmund Colledge and James Walsh. The Classics of Western Spirituality. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1978. I type:

Open Showings

Err 1

To open the NRSV

Open NRSV to Mark 1

Err 2
To open the commentary Dowd, Sharyn Echols. Reading Mark: A Literary and Theological Commentary on the Second Gospel. Reading the New Testament Series. Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys Publishing, 2000. I type

Err 3

Posts 2253
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 4:38 AM

Always appreciate your helpfulness, MJ. 

This does not seem to be faster under my style of doing things.  It would be nice if I could bring up a +New Tab and start typing a resource that I often use but that does not show up on the frequency list. More often than not, this ends up being one of the many personal books I created that I often edit...

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 11:32 AM

MJ. Smith:

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and yes I know you can do that. But it's fraught with difficulty. The command box is about more than opening resources, so there's a whole set of logic it goes through to come up with a list. Among other things, that means it's really slow. Also, it still gives zero control over the tab in which the resource will be opened.

I realize there are some design decisions that would have to be made in the suggested feature. But a new tab via '+' is already showing a whole lot of resources to pick from. Just go the next step...

-Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS