ENOUGH ALREADY MR PRITCHETT!

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:18 AM

roflol. Tent adverts, I kinda get. Cookbook, I'm not. But still, funny.
Yes, I'm aware of how much FL and Google are in bed together. I use a software web page that measures just how much, and, FL has it's good moments, and moments they are far higher than other companies. (I even tested the Blacklight site. Apparently they expected that, by their response. Funny response).

What FL wishes to do, is their  own. But, let me use my Bible without ad annoyances. And that to me is where they cross the line, and need to be brought to task on it, and realize there are more than just me, who hates this. 

DMB:

Batman:
There are also those of us who are not; who find it despicable. Good for us. And if we can completely shut them off from our apps, if we choose, then so be it. 

I agree. But let's not forget the tent adverts that Paul sent with his letters. Peter included cookbook adverts from his wife, and yummy too!

But more seriously, be calm, knowing FL is pinging Google multiple times per second as you study the Word of God. You are not alone, as Google measures your spirituality by the micro-second. Smiling.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:22 AM

John Kaess:
in the past year i've unsubscribed from all Logos/Faithlife emails because no matter what i checked or unchecked, i continued to be overwhelmed by sale information

Same here. I emailed Bob directly because I was getting emails about products, etc., that I was clearly unsubscribed from. Bob and (whoever actually managed that area - don't recall the name) agreed I was unsubscribed. The response was that there are some emails they can't control at that level of granularity and that the only solution is to unsubscribe from everything. So I did.

Now, though, I'm worried I'll not get emails that customers should get - like the birthday month, etc.

Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

I'll add that like others in this thread, I never go to the Home page in the Logos desktop app.

-Donnie

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:22 AM

Thanks. I miss the one I had years ago. I think it was called Pop-up sniper. It was the most effective, as it had 100s of "shots" (blocks) as soon as you hit a page. That was before the turn of the millennium, before the bombardments we have today. 
These are good, but, nowhere near that. But, again, thank you. 

Mark:

Batman:
For the website, it's annoying that the pop-ups have doubled. They pop-up every page now. I used to have a great pop-up blocker years ago. But, sadly, it is no more.

What has worked for me quite efficiently is to use adguard adblocker and ublock origin.  I often have to unblock to get a website working well, but I rarely have a pop up add issue.  Not sure if you have tried those.

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:24 AM

I'm working on that. And be back to you asap.

Andrew Batishko:

Batman:
I turn them off, and they come back. At one point I was able to completely eradicate all ads from the software. But, with updates and upgrades, they tend to be turned on by default. Now, however, I see they are back, and I do not see where to shut them off

Can you provide an example of an ad you are seeing? A screenshot of your homepage would be great for this. Also useful would be details about which options you have checked in the Explore section. A screenshot is good, but just providing a list here would work too.

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:35 AM

I do believe you have assessed the situation very well. 
Personally, I do not want ANYTHING that sells a resource to me showing up anywhere in my library. (But that is for ME). Having control to eliminate that (and to "change your preference at a later time") is what I am calling for. 
Settings I have turned off turn back on. That is a bit different that that. Yes, at one point I had been able to shut the ads off completely. Now, I see no setting to do so, at all. But, the ads are back. SIXTY FIVE to be more precise!  So, I'm not sure if it's just that simple, or, if that ability has been removed. In the past, say going from L3 to L4 and so on, they'd be on by default. It'd be awesome if the preferences could stay version to version (perhaps they could, but, are intentionally set to "on" by default. But, that calls for a judgement call I am not prepared to make at this time). 

I'm not in a good position atm to get a screenshot and other things; but, will do what I can as soon as I can. Btw, uploading a screenshot to the one (for lack of other/proper terminology) public support page, I could not upload a screenshot. But, as one person suggested, I could make a list, at the least. 

Thank you, once again.

Graham Criddle:

If I understand you correctly there are two potentially different issues here:

1. Not enough control over what gets displayed - turning off ads can result in other things you might want to see being disabled as well
  2. Settings you have turned off turning back on again under certain situations

Is that correct?

Adam earlier asked:

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Are you saying that you have disabled blog and message cards on the home page settings, and they keep getting re-enabled? 

I've just disabled both of these and I don't see any ads. Do you see the same thing?

Andrew asked:

Andrew Batishko:
Can you provide an example of an ad you are seeing? A screenshot of your homepage would be great for this. Also useful would be details about which options you have checked in the Explore section. A screenshot is good, but just providing a list here would work too.

Are you able to do that?

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 10:45 AM

For emails, yes, that is problematic. I had to get support to help there too. For some reason, something went awry and I was receiving nothing. I'm not thrilled to receive as much email as I do; but, it is the one place I don't begrudge them advertising. 
If you cut off the emails completely, you will in fact lose birthday, anniversary, Connect benefits, annual spending rewards, etc. All generous on FL's part, btw. BUT, why is it an "all or nothing" thing? And with all my dealings with support, I have no idea how that gets corrected. 

You are correct, it shouldn't be this hard. As far as the Homepage, it is beneficial to me to use it; very beneficial. But, not with SIXTY FIVE sales pitches. 

Donnie Hale:

John Kaess:
in the past year i've unsubscribed from all Logos/Faithlife emails because no matter what i checked or unchecked, i continued to be overwhelmed by sale information

Same here. I emailed Bob directly because I was getting emails about products, etc., that I was clearly unsubscribed from. Bob and (whoever actually managed that area - don't recall the name) agreed I was unsubscribed. The response was that there are some emails they can't control at that level of granularity and that the only solution is to unsubscribe from everything. So I did.

Now, though, I'm worried I'll not get emails that customers should get - like the birthday month, etc.

Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

I'll add that like others in this thread, I never go to the Home page in the Logos desktop app.

-Donnie

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 11:08 AM

I discovered the click necessary to zap all the in app ads. I had My Logos Messages turned on. Also the Academic Blog. Both of those are ads, not messages and not educational. 
Thanks. 

Andrew Batishko:

Batman:
I turn them off, and they come back. At one point I was able to completely eradicate all ads from the software. But, with updates and upgrades, they tend to be turned on by default. Now, however, I see they are back, and I do not see where to shut them off

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 11:20 AM

Found the solution, until next time. 
While looking through the preferences I discovered My Logos Messages had been ticked. I believe that name had been changed recently, and in doing so, might be why it was back on. 
I did turn on Academic Blog to discover its more ads than beneficial to me, so, shut that back off. 

It does seem to be corrcted, until next upgrade, or name change. As someone in this thread said, "It should not be this hard". To which I agree. 
As you can see, this was far more annoying and frustrated than need be. 

Thank you so much

Graham Criddle:

Andrew asked:

Andrew Batishko:

Are you able to do that?

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 11:26 AM

UPDATE:
Thanks to you all, the problem seems to have been solved. 

My Logos Messages were ticked on. That accounted for almost all. I turned on Logos Academic Blog, and got more, so, had to zap that again. 
At any rate, thanks everyone. All is not lost, and it's as it should be: Ads off for me, and on for those of you who want them on. 

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 12:52 PM

Batman:

UPDATE:
Thanks to you all, the problem seems to have been solved. 

My Logos Messages were ticked on. That accounted for almost all. I turned on Logos Academic Blog, and got more, so, had to zap that again. 
At any rate, thanks everyone. All is not lost, and it's as it should be: Ads off for me, and on for those of you who want them on. 

Glad this is resolved for you know. i hope FL learn from this posh they need to:

1.They need clearer wording in their settings names - ‘My Logos Message’ - what the heck is that supposed to mean? It seems to advertising by stealth in truth.

2. They need to have an option to have an educational only blog feed and not include advertising by stealth in those posts.

3. Ensure / confirm that user settings are respected with every update they do

4. Get Graham Criddle to train other forum MVP’s on how to respond to frustrated user. He is an absolute gentleman who knows how to look beyond the emotion to the heart of the issue and rarely, if ever, brings his own personal feelings or thoughts down in judgement of the person he is genuinely trying to help. If there were more MVP’s who responded like this situations would be defused much sooner rather than them blowing up because MVP’s think FL need them to be their white knights in shining armour.

Posts 201
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 1:38 PM

DIsciple II:
4. Get Graham Criddle to train other forum MVP’s on how to respond to frustrated user. He is an absolute gentleman who knows how to look beyond the emotion to the heart of the issue and rarely, if ever, brings his own personal feelings or thoughts down in judgement of the person he is genuinely trying to help. If there were more MVP’s who responded like this situations would be defused much sooner rather than them blowing up because MVP’s think FL need them to be their white knights in shining armour.

How 'bout you, D2??

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 4:10 PM

What you are trying to take out of context above is my comments about how MVP's at times act as first responders to forum posts. You made no attempt to act as a legitimate first responder but simply as someone who wanted to vent their disapproval at a fellow frustrated user who was venting their disapproval at the level of FL advertising. I was not addressing the OP I was addressing your lack of first responder attitude and so what you misquote above is not relevant to the situation your are now trying to apply it in order to justify your comments - sorry it doesn't work like that.

Scooter if you or anyone else responds to people with respect then I won't have need to call yours or anyone else's comments out, but you choose to speak into this conversation in an unhelpful and rude manner and so I reflected back to you the way you spoke into this conversation.  If you don't like that then stick to comments that show you are listening to, hearing and trying to help resolve issues rather than making comments that are aimed at taking people down - you've done that twice now in this thread.

scooter:

DIsciple II:

How 'bout you, D2??

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2021 5:17 PM

Donnie Hale:
The response was that there are some emails they can't control at that level of granularity and that the only solution is to unsubscribe from everything.

I, too, would like to have more granular control over the emails I do and do not get from Faithlife.

Posts 201
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:17 AM

DIsciple II:
Scooter if you or anyone else responds to people with respect then I won't have need to call yours or anyone else's comments out, but you choose to speak into this conversation in an unhelpful and rude manner and so I reflected back to you the way you spoke into this conversation. 

The OP has used this style of initiating comments on more than one occasion previously.  Here he called out Mr. P. with reference to the latter should be ashamed of himself + is greedy.

I see these comments as bully comments, + not a one-off, but habitual.  So, I called him on them.

Imagine comments such as these said in person, to your face in a loud, staccato manner akin to how they were written.  Those were bully comments from the OP.

I have noticed bullies use a Hegelian dialectic.  They do not like the current situation.  They put on a tactical, overly aggressive scene, frought with much drama.  Sure, they feel the pain of the situation, but their display is way over the top.  Feei some fear, people, + fix my problem.  Often the bully gets ''it'' fixed, or enough of the situation fixed to be happy.

I read OP's comments as [one in a series of] manipulations.  You read them as a cry for help......We differ, D2  Oh, well.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:59 AM

I am well aware  of the OP’s previous posts. But that is not the issue of my concern about the way you choose to respond.
And now by bringing up the past you are demonstrating you responded with preconceived prejudices against the OP. Even more reason you should have moved past this thread and said nothing. But instead you choose to act like a bully, the very thing you are accusing  the OP of doing because he communicates his frustrations  in a way you don’t approve of.

The OP has resolved his issue through the help of people who looked beyond what you could not because of your prejudice against him. I’ve said all that needs to be said. It’s up to you now how you take it.

scooter:

DIsciple II:
Scooter if you or anyone else responds to people with respect then I won't have need to call yours or anyone else's comments out, but you choose to speak into this conversation in an unhelpful and rude manner and so I reflected back to you the way you spoke into this conversation. 

The OP has used this style of initiating comments on more than one occasion previously.  Here he called out Mr. P. with reference to the latter should be ashamed of himself + is greedy.

I see these comments as bully comments, + not a one-off, but habitual.  So, I called him on them.

Imagine comments such as these said in person, to your face in a loud, staccato manner akin to how they were written.  Those were bully comments from the OP.

I have noticed bullies use a Hegelian dialectic.  They do not like the current situation.  They put on a tactical, overly aggressive scene, frought with much drama.  Sure, they feel the pain of the situation, but their display is way over the top.  Feei some fear, people, + fix my problem.  Often the bully gets ''it'' fixed, or enough of the situation fixed to be happy.

I read OP's comments as [one in a series of] manipulations.  You read them as a cry for help......We differ, D2  Oh, well.

Posts 201
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 3:36 AM

DIsciple II:
But instead you choose to act like a bully, the very thing you are accusing  the OP of doing because he communicates his frustrations  in a way you don’t approve of.

In general, bullies love to push forward, hoping people will move back, give in, because of fear. They love people who allow their tactics to continue - people who emotionally back them. After they show a pattern, it's best to stand up to them.

I believe FL should have pulled the PO's comment. This comment was out of line re Bob. 

Have a good day, D2.

Posts 675
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 3:02 PM

scooter:
I've also turned off the Homepage because it is OVERWHELMINGLY all about spamming things to buy.

I put the home page out of my mind until about once every major update I get curious to see if there's anything useful, which there isn't so I go back to ignoring it. I'm very comfortable just studying the Scripture with my various layouts. Even with the ability to select what I see on the home page, the organization looks looks like debris from an explosion. I'm very organized and methodical so the mess just screams waste of time (screams is the right word because it impresses me as a flashy attempt to get me to buy things). I admit it seems to be the way many modern news and other information sites present themselves so perhaps to younger minds it seems normal. 

I can think of ways the home page could be much more of a service to the user and at least appear to be less of a blast from Logos.

I do appreciate that when I'm doing research Logos proposes related resources and I've bought a few things that way. I would prefer the home page was actually organized and presented items in groups, and perhaps gave more in-depth theological pedigrees of the authors/presenters. 

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 201
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2021 3:47 AM

Jim:
the organization looks looks like debris from an explosion.

Awesome!!  I burst out laughing; I came close to knocking the thermometer out of my mouth [re take temp re covid check].

I try to be very organized; the home page looks like it stuck its finger in the socket.

Posts 19387
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2021 5:53 AM

scooter:

Jim:
the organization looks looks like debris from an explosion.

Awesome!!  I burst out laughing; I came close to knocking the thermometer out of my mouth [re take temp re covid check].

I try to be very organized; the home page looks like it stuck its finger in the socket.

+1 Yes with all feeds enabled, home page lost its way in marketing: some useful stuff swimming in sales (so seldom spend time on home page).

FWIW: due to variety of crashes during beta testing, my preference is opening to a blank layout.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 6 2021 6:03 AM

Same here. 

mm. 

Ben:

... I never use the Home Page. Never seen an ad. 

mm.

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS