Did Free BOOK of the Month Vs. Free COURSE of the Month

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3745
BillS | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 1 2021 1:14 PM

Did I miss something? Was it announced that Faithlife/Logos has changed free book of the month to free course of the month (corresponding the FBOM page's title change)?

If so, AS THANKFUL AS I AM FOR ANYTHING FREE, I have to say I'm disappointed. I have looked forward to the free book every month. And I've understood completely when a popular resource I already have was re-offered so others could take advantage.

But books match my learning style. Videos, not so much. I haven't used any of the FL videos. Time constraints also favor books for me. The content in 3hr of video doesn't come close to that of a good research resource. In addition, videos require larger time blocks than do books. And, books can be used for referral & research later. Videos, not so much.

I'll get off  my soap box, but I'm still wondering if the change is permanent & I missed something....

Lastly, no matter how the above sounds, I'm very thankful for Logos, Faithlife, & all that they offer us--not just for fee, but for free.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1652
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 1:21 PM

I'm on the same page as you Bill. Grateful for all the free books, but not so keen on courses.  (Logos have occasionally before substituted books for courses in their free book of the month promotions.) The only positive for me this month is my credit card gets a rest. I usually fill my boots with all the heavily discounted extra books in the free book of the month offers and a few of the monthly sale books. This month nothing has caught my attention - maybe one but the discount is not high enough to make me tempted.

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 1:28 PM

Not interested in the free course either.

But do be sure to always also check https://ebooks.faithlife.com/free-book-of-the-month and https://verbum.com/monthly-sale#free for free book of the month each month.

Posts 1506
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:02 PM

Rosie Perera:

But do be sure to always also check https://ebooks.faithlife.com/free-book-of-the-month and https://verbum.com/monthly-sale#free for free book of the month each month.

and do not forget https://audio.faithlife.com/free-book-of-the-month 

I do not mind an occasional "Free course of the month", although I would have preferred a Mobile Ed course that I can listen to in my car. These N.T. Wright courses only contain videos.

FYI in april 2020 the FBOTM also was a video course by N.T, Wright: "Faith Working Through Love".

Posts 8352
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:04 PM

I’m ok either way, since on many occasions I already have the FBOTM, so getting a free course every now and then is not a bad idea.  It’s new to me and free 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:19 PM

Thanks Rosie & HJ.

mm. 

mm.

Posts 657
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:34 PM

BillS:

Was it announced that Faithlife/Logos has changed free book of the month to free course of the month (corresponding the FBOM page's title change)?...

I'm still wondering if the change is permanent & I missed something....

I'm not aware of an announcement being made in advance. Logos has offered free (and +1) courses before. I'm sure that the majority of monthly freebies going forward will be books.

Like you, I'm a big fan of books. Unlike you, I also benefit from the spoken word/course format. Like you, I'm very grateful for the free material that Logos offers.

I notice that others have already shared links to the Verbum and Faithlife eBooks monthly freebies. I hope that you find something there to alleviate your disappointment.

Every blessing.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:42 PM

I understand and respect courses won't be everyone's cup of tea and also the particular author of these course won't be everyone's cup of tea either so there are going to be disappointed users this month, but there is every month.  More often than I already own the FBOM.  This month's offering I actually already own this course on another platform. So while it is not one I own in Logos I do already own it all the same so another month for me where I already actually own the free offering, just not in Logos this time.

<soapbox=on>

My concern is not so much that is is courses being offered this month but that FL brands these as FL courses. They existed before they came into the Logos Catalog on another platform. There are in fact over 30 courses offered now by NTWrightOnline dot org and you can get a certificate from them if you do the courses through the other platform (though as with all these platforms, FL included, the certificate is just a piece of paper). If I were to purchase the three Romans courses today on that platform I could get them at a cheaper price than the regular price FL is charging for the first part of the Romans course on their platform with their branding. So if someone really wanted these course in the Logos environment, to listen to this author's views, alongside his written materials then this month would be the month to purchase the three parts of the Romans course and the other courses if the topics are of interest to them. 

Personally how FL can pass these off as their own courses at such a large markup is a little troubling when these projects were originally driven by The Wisconsin Center for Christian Study. Sure FL probably paid for the (w)right to publish these on their platform and will be doing everything above board but to brand it as a FL course  and sell them a such a higher regular price sits a little uneasy with me.

<soapbox=off>

Posts 987
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:52 PM

Anything free is good!

Posts 1258
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:55 PM

BillS:

Did I miss something? Was it announced that Faithlife/Logos has changed free book of the month to free course of the month (corresponding the FBOM page's title change)?

If so, AS THANKFUL AS I AM FOR ANYTHING FREE, I have to say I'm disappointed. I have looked forward to the free book every month. And I've understood completely when a popular resource I already have was re-offered so others could take advantage.

They sometimes gave out free courses. Like you, I prefer free books. But it’s not a shift in focus.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 5:29 PM

If the videos had transcripts, I'd probably read them like a book. I would really appreciate transcripts. But, as others have noted, free is free!

Posts 1142
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 10:06 AM

DIsciple II:
If I were to purchase the three Romans courses today on that platform I could get them at a cheaper price than the regular price FL is charging for the first part of the Romans course on their platform with their branding.

FL's argument for the markup is that they tag all resources. And the notes are part of Logos' Notes Tool. Everybody has to decide if these benefits are worth the additional cost.

Posts 201
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 10:19 AM

SineNomine:
If the videos had transcripts, I'd probably read them like a book. I would really appreciate transcripts.

I read the transcripts of FL-made courses; I do not watch / listen to the material....I can only highlight if its written!

Posts 281
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 1:12 PM

Like you Bill, I don't learn from videos. I strongly prefer books. Perhaps FL will notice that this is not a popular option.

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 2:24 PM

There  is nothing tagged in these courses. These are just videos packages to be watched in the Logos environment. The ‘textbook’ that comes with the course is nothing more than a glorified table of contents / index to the videos. There is no transcript of the lectures and even if it was the markup they have put on the regular price of these courses works still be excessive. Hence my advice if you want these at all in Logos environment buy them this month and not any other month. 

Armin:

DIsciple II:
If I were to purchase the three Romans courses today on that platform I could get them at a cheaper price than the regular price FL is charging for the first part of the Romans course on their platform with their branding.

FL's argument for the markup is that they tag all resources. And the notes are part of Logos' Notes Tool. Everybody has to decide if these benefits are worth the additional cost.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 2:38 PM

FL will look at the number of downloaded courses this month and in previous months they have offered a course to determine how popular they really are with users. Up until now it has been done infrequentl. I don’t expect that to change but I can’t tell you that will be the case. FL user base is made up with a variety of interests and learning styles. It’s only fair once in a while if FL can put it in place that a course is offered for those who like to learn that way. I like a combination of both reading and video but am less inclined towards. audio unless i have the text as well.

If you feel disappointed this month by the format or the author, I know that personal disappointment most months   But despite that I appreciate they make these free offers each month even though most of the time I already own it because I know someone else is going to benefit from it.

Posts 1562
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 3:31 PM

I personally like the free course of the month. I have many books but having the video/audio reduces strain to my eyes. I can also speed up the video if I want.

Some courses come with a full word-for-word transcript of the video lectures, but these NT Wright ones do not.

I don't mind getting more free or low-cost courses on a monthly basis.

Posts 2749
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 3:53 PM

Books are more usable from the Logos perspective--the reason I and most people think of Logos in the first place. I grew up with books--I spent more time in the library than probably anywhere else.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1506
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 7:33 PM

PL:

I personally like the free course of the month. I have many books but having the video/audio reduces strain to my eyes. I can also speed up the video if I want.

Some courses come with a full word-for-word transcript of the video lectures, but these NT Wright ones do not.

I don't mind getting more free or low-cost courses on a monthly basis.

Same here. That’s a great news for me. For the last 12 months, I owned most of the books. Also, after having thousands of books, I am not sure if free books would benefit me more than videos. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1142
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2021 9:20 PM

I am also not keen on video-only courses or audio books. I strongly prefer the setup of Mobile Ed Courses: Video and textbook.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS