Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1245
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 11 2021 4:12 PM

In the figurative language tagging in the Bible there are several subcategories of metaphors (Structural, Ontological, etc) and some of these subcategories have additional subcategories (e.g. Ontological has Container, Entity, Personification, etc,)

How can I search for higher level categories and include all subcategories. For example, suppose I want to search for all metaphors, regardless of subcategory? This finds structural metaphors:

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory = Meta, Struct>}

But what if I want to find all types of metaphors?

Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 11 2021 5:38 PM

Harry Hahne:

For the NT only, try {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Meta>}   --> note that  ~ Meta ensures matching all metaphor categories

But I think you might find {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Meta, Ont>}  more satisfying. See the Lexham Glossary for a summary of Categories.

{Section <Culture Traditional Metaphors>}  comes from the Lexham Cultural Ontology Glossary, but doesn't work in Bibles.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1245
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 11 2021 10:22 PM

Dave Hooton:

Harry Hahne:

For the NT only, try {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Meta>}   --> note that  ~ Meta ensures matching all metaphor categories

But I think you might find {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Meta, Ont>}  more satisfying. See the Lexham Glossary for a summary of Categories.

{Section <Culture Traditional Metaphors>}  comes from the Lexham Cultural Ontology Glossary, but doesn't work in Bibles.

Thanks, David.

I had tried {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory = Meta>}, but it returned nothing.

Let me see if I understand the search logic:

• = means exactly
  • ~ means intersection.
  • So = would mean that there can be no subcategory of that particular category I am searching for.
Do I have the right idea? Is there a better or precise way to explain it? I have been trying to figure this out from the Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary. Also, is there any comparable tagging of figurative language in the Old Testament? It would sure be useful for the Psalms and Prophets. I appreciate your help, as always.
Posts 26682
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2021 2:48 PM

Harry Hahne:

Let me see if I understand the search logic:

• = means exactly
  • ~ means intersection.
  • So = would mean that there can be no subcategory of that particular category I am searching for

That seems to be the understanding with this datatype!  = will not work with Meta, which has subcategories but it will work with Idiom and Hyperbole which have no subcategories e.g. {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory = Hyperbole>}

If you look at the Sense tool, idol has cast idol as a subcategory, but you can use <Sense = idol> and <Sense = cast Idol>, unlike Figurative Language Category. And <Sense ~ idol> will include idol, cast idol and other subcategories.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS