History of the Christian Church (8 Vols)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 107
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 18 2021 8:34 AM

Posting for 3 reasons:

- has anyone worked with this and did you find it worthwhile?

- for anyone interested this resource lists for $49.99, below the listing it is included in the WEA Theological Resource Library, Vol 3. I already owned a lot of the resources in the package so my dynamic price was $32.80 which would enable me to not only get History of the Christian Church (8 Vols) for $17 less but also get another several $100’s of dollars of other resources I didn’t already have. May be worth checking out:

https://www.logos.com/product/38876/wea-theological-resource-library-version-3

- final question. If anyone is familiar with WEA packages, I tried to find volumes 1 & 2 to see what resources those hold but was unsuccessful finding anything. If you can find please send a link.

Posts 1844
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2021 10:49 AM

Greg Dement:
- has anyone worked with this and did you find it worthwhile?

To clarify for others, since I had to look it up, you are talking about the Phil Schaff History of the Christian Church. It is a classic text from the late 19th century. This means it is dated in that it does not have access to text finds since it was published, and uses the methods of when it was written. But it is rather thorough, and is pretty good at referencing where it gets its information, and so it does still have use, but it does need to be supplemented with sources that can speak about over a century of research and discussion that has come out since it was written. All in all, I would say it is one of the better public domain throw-ins that I got in Logos.

Like a surprising number of Logos Resources, it is available in a collection which is cheaper than the resource by itself. I will let the marketing gurus out there say why this is the case, but many things are that way. In the WEA collection, the most interesting resources for me have been the book review sections of Evangelical Review of Theology.

Greg Dement:
If anyone is familiar with WEA packages, I tried to find volumes 1 & 2 to see what resources those hold but was unsuccessful finding anything. If you can find please send a link.

Note that it is not VOLUME 3, but rather VERSION 3 of this collection. I can't say when versions 1 and 2 were out, and what were the differences, but pretty sure this is the only version for sale today.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 107
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2021 11:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback, reminds me I need to check the public domain for some free older resources before I determine whether it is worth purchasing just to have in Logos. Yes, I know that happens a lot that resources are cheaper in collections, I just wanted to point it out as I appreciate and have benefited when others share some of these anomalies.
Sorry you had to look it up, I thought it could be accessed in the resources included in the link I sent.

Thanks again, based on your feedback about the sections of Evangelical Review of Theology I decided to go ahead and purchase the collection to also get History of the Christian Church.

Posts 89
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2021 1:26 PM

Is Evangelical Review of Theology considered a journal?  It sure looks like one, but it is considered that type of resource in Logos, with full tagging?

Posts 107
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2021 1:31 PM

I would be happy to test/check. How would I do that? I am sure it is simple but not sure how.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2021 5:34 PM

Jon:

Is Evangelical Review of Theology considered a journal?  It sure looks like one, but it is considered that type of resource in Logos, with full tagging?

It is a journal.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 1506
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2021 5:29 AM

Ken McGuire:

Note that it is not VOLUME 3, but rather VERSION 3 of this collection. I can't say when versions 1 and 2 were out, and what were the differences, but pretty sure this is the only version for sale today.

The first version was developed for the Amsterdam 2000 conference: https://web.archive.org/web/20071111053817/http://www.libronix.com/page.aspx?id=partner00#WEF 

The second version was published in 2004: https://web.archive.org/web/20050405160155/http://www.worldevangelical.org/cdresourcelib.html 

The public domain Bibles mentioned in the contents of version 2 were also included on the cd-rom with version 3 (2006). This cd-rom was one of the first Logos (or rather Libronix) resources I bought. 

Jon:

Is Evangelical Review of Theology considered a journal? It sure looks like one, but it is considered that type of resource in Logos, with full tagging?

As Scott already said it is a jorunal. However, as an old resource it does not have the same tagging as other journals (e.g. no "Heading Text" search field). They do not appear in Factbook or Passage Guide searches.

Posts 89
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2021 6:38 AM

Thank you Scott, HJ, and Greg, I think I’ll wind up purchasing this.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS