Are Freemasons Heretic? Resources

Page 6 of 6 (116 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 115 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2348
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 6:24 AM

Recent (2019) analysis of present-day Freemason esotericism by the Harvard scholar Shawn Eyer can be found here:

(PDF document at Harvard)

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/seyer/files/eyer_defining_esotericism_from_a_masonic_perspective.pdf 

Context for this analysis can be found here:

https://scottishrite.org/scottish-rite-myths-and-facts/is-freemasonry-esoteric/ 

Posts 913
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 6:39 AM

It would be strange that many different groups  coordinated propaganda efforts across time, etc....

Things are not occult to the Sprit of the Lord. 

History does seem to repeat itself. LOL.

Posts 913
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 9:08 AM

Charles Finney seems to be a legit person to write about things concerning Christian Worldview:

https://www.logos.com/product/4351/charles-finney-collection

So maybe some of his writings could be of use:

At someone's hint...

"Charles Finney, the evangelist used mightily of the Lord in the 1800's wrote a consideration of this topic consisting of some 20 chapters. It is titled “The Character, Claims and Practical Workings of Freemasonry.” This book was published in 1869 and the entirety of the work can be found on the

Internet at the following Internet address:

http://www.gospeltruth.net/1869Freemasonry/indexfreemasonry.htm.

Charles Finney was a Mason before His conversion to Christianity, and immediately found that he could no longer continue his association with this organization. After nearly forty years of ministry he felt compelled to write on the topic when the subject of Freemasonry required his attention in the exercise of his spiritual duties.

Finney wrote in detail of the immoral nature of many of the oaths Masons are induced to speak, of Masonry’s perverse and profane use of the Bible, its false claims of antiquity, and other matters that render it incompatible with a pure devotion to Christ. For those who wish to examine Finney’s objections to Freemasonry, I recommend to them his book."

So now we have the testimony of an ex practitioner telling it straight (of course in context of his own time), but that can pinpoint to some of the problems that may need redeeming in the craft in his time.

Posts 33264
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 3:26 PM

Hamilton Ramos:
different groups  coordinated propaganda efforts across time

You are crossing the line again with your term "propoganda" especially if you mean it to apply to perrenial philosophy. Most Christians hold beliefs that are compatible with perrenial philosophy even if they never use the term.

In your second post there is absolutely nothing in your post related to Faithlife. You are arguing theology which you know it not permitted.

Hamilton, you are an asset to the forums when you stick to the guidelines; please be an asset. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8348
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 4:24 PM

Here’s a nice flash sale: https://www.logos.com/publisher-spotlight#5dollaraudio 

DAL

Posts 139
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 5:28 PM

I was going to post a reply to MJ about a comment she made, which made it to my email about the vast majority of Christians…. 

but I see that it has been removed.  So I was just curious as to how one goes about reediting a post to remove something we later thought should be removed.  Is this something anyone can do or this feature only for certain members?  Just curious about that.

Bob

Posts 913
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 5:45 PM

MJ. Smith:
In your second post there is absolutely nothing in your post related to Faithlife

If you refer to the Charles Finney post, I did put the link to his collection. Because of his particular experience, there is probably information about the topic at hand in it.

Although is strange that the book that he wrote specifically about the topic at hand is not in L9. You said there were good resources missing about the topic, I was just pointing to one that seems to give a particular view of it from what many would consider a reliable source.

MJ. Smith:
You are crossing the line again with your term "propoganda"

Maybe if you explain what you mean by it when you first used it in this thread, then there would be no misunderstanding.

And Lastly: perennial philosophy has nothing to do with the Spirit of God, which tells believers under His influence what is really going on.

Posts 139
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2021 8:07 PM

Bob:

I was going to post a reply to MJ about a comment she made, which made it to my email about the vast majority of Christians…. 

but I see that it has been removed.  So I was just curious as to how one goes about reediting a post to remove something we later thought should be removed.  Is this something anyone can do or this feature only for certain members?  Just curious about that.

Bob

I found my answer.   There is an edit option under the “more” button.

Bob

Posts 8348
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 4:17 AM

Meanwhile, this sale ends soon: https://www.logos.com/basepackages 

DAL

Posts 913
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 4:35 PM

DAL:

Offtopic questions:

What are you specializing in?

when you do research in other language how do you facilitate the translation of info? google translate and refine?

Thanks you for you input.

(I would like to do something about worldview research, both at the tradition / denomination level and also to see what other language packages have to say about it)

[see, in Wikipedia, I can look for Worldview, and then on the left column open the same entry in other languages: Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, etc. (not in modern Greek, nor Hebrew though, not sure what language this is: https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmotheoria; seems related to Latin).

It would be cool if one could do something similar with factbook entires].

Posts 8348
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 7:08 PM

Hey Hamilton,

Not specializing in anything, just a student of the Word.  I have a large library both in English and Spanish, but if something needs translation I use google to give me an idea on how to word it better.

DAL

Posts 913
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 7:36 PM

Very good DAL, thanks for your answer.

I am trying to find out what the following is:

https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicipaedia

Seems to be Latin with input from different regions. It could be an asset to practice reading Latin, so one can dig deeper into the Latin theology resources in L9.

Yes, it is Latin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Wikipedia

In theory if one catches some commonalities between Latin, Spanish, Greek, English, German, French and Portuguese, then the study of theology within those languages should become easier.

Blessings.

Posts 33264
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 8:59 PM

Hamilton Ramos:
In theory if one catches some commonalities between Latin, Spanish, Greek, English, German, French and Portuguese, then the study of theology within those languages should become easier.

Learn Proto-Indo-European as in the Logos lexicons:

• Beekes, Robert. Edited by Alexander Lubotsky. Etymological Dictionary of Greek. Leiden Indo-European Etymological Dictionary Series. Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2010.
  • De Vaan, Michiel. Edited by Alexander Lubotsky. Etymological Dictionary of Latin and the Other Italic Languages. Leiden Indo-European Etymological Dictionary Series. Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2008.

For the Gothic, one would need the Germanic volume of the series which Logos does not carry.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 913
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2021 6:30 AM

Excellent MJ, thanks.

Posts 369
Theonpneustos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2021 5:30 AM

Yes they are heretics from the 18th century or so, at least high ranked ones. They tend to be deists or unitarians.

Posts 33264
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2021 11:07 AM

DissapointLife -  your post probably violates the guidelines of Faithlife as shown below. I know it can be hard to tell where the dividing line is as some forum members like to push the boundaries.  Luckily there are very few of them; most people bump against the guidelines only accidentally..

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • promote affiliate links or discounts
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com. If a user is a repeat offender, we may temporarily suspend their account. If the offenses continue, we reserve the right to permanently ban the offender's account from the forums either by shadow banning it or blocking it entirely.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Page 6 of 6 (116 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS