9.5 (9.5.0.0014) is now available

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2188
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 5:46 AM

Sean:

I'm sorry for those who are having problems, but this is why you always set "automatically start downloads" to no and never install new versions on release day. 

Mine is always set to 'no'.  But I do download when I am informed of an update and I have the time to do so.  In this case, several update notices came one after the other.

Posts 8148
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 8:14 AM

Kamira Rea:

We are working to get a fix out for this crash as soon as possible. If you're launching with a layout that includes the Library panel try launching to a blank layout as a work around.

Instructions for starting with a blank layout and be found here

Thank you and all who are working to get this fixed! No issues for me yet, so hopefully it’ll stay like that.

DAL

Posts 1188
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 9:09 AM

DAL:

No issues for me yet, so hopefully it’ll stay like that.

DAL

Likewise. It would be interesting to see if those who do have problems have a common denominator in hardware, similar to how certain hardware is more likely to have bad experiences updating Windows.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 444
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 11:42 AM

Sean:

I'm sorry for those who are having problems, but this is why you always set "automatically start downloads" to no and never install new versions on release day. 

This is certainly the cautious route, and of course that's your prerogative. 

For the record, this crash affected ~3% of users who installed the 9.5 update. 

There have been only two other examples in the last 5 years of a crash in an update that affected this many users: Logos 7.8 and Logos 8.10. Both were fixed within a day, as with this one (at the time of writing, it's being tested and will ship shortly).

If you are comfortable with risking a 3% chance of a crash every 2½ years, it's probably safe to leave automatic updates turned on. Smile

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 2188
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 11:51 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

This was very helpful as it makes us all realize that this did not happen to everyone. It happened to me.  But now I have an understanding...

Posts 1188
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 12:14 PM

Sean:

There have been only two other examples in the last 5 years of a crash in an update that affected this many users: Logos 7.8 and Logos 8.10. Both were fixed within a day, as with this one (at the time of writing, it's being tested and will ship shortly).

If you are comfortable with risking a 3% chance of a crash every 2½ years, it's probably safe to leave automatic updates turned on. Smile

I usually run Macrium backup first Wink

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 29492
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 12:26 PM

Sean:

Personally, I think the "automatically start downloads" to no is a good idea... But I typically install updates on release day. As Adam noted, these kinds of issues are rare. However, having an app date start unintentionally at an inconvenient time? Not worth keeping it set to yes

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3506
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 1:38 PM

Pastor Cleghorn:

Carl Canady:

My logos updated but now it crashes before I can even use it.  Also on my desktop as well as my laptop.  It didn't crash before the update. I tried restarting the program and that doesn't help.

Carl,

I have a similar problem. I can open Logos and load a layout, but anytime I click the library tab to open a book it crashes Logos. I spent over an hour with tech support trying to fix the problem. It seems to be a known bug with the metadata in the library. I was told it may possibly be fixed with Logos 9.6. Until then, I was told to work offline so there is no need to buy any new books, download my Wordsearch books, or try to prioritize my books. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still does not work. Every time I am online and try to open my library tab to open a book, it crashes. It worked fine under 9.4. Hopefully more people have this problem and the problem will have to be addressed before 9.6.

This has been fixed in 9.5 SR-1.

Posts 150
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 4:53 PM

Thank you. Works great now.

Posts 609
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 5:20 PM

How do I get rid of the shopping cart? 

I don't want it to show up on my screen or anywhere in my workspace. 

It comes across as intrusive to me. I love Logos and purchase things from them, almost on a daily basis but I want to be able to see shopping related materials of my own choice. 

Thanks for your help in this matter. 

Pastor Jesse Blevins 

Posts 1188
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 27 2021 5:27 PM

Jesse Blevins:

How do I get rid of the shopping cart? 

I don't want it to show up on my screen or anywhere in my workspace. 

It comes across as intrusive to me. I love Logos and purchase things from them, almost on a daily basis but I want to be able to see shopping related materials of my own choice. 

Thanks for your help in this matter. 

Pastor Jesse Blevins 

Unfortunately, you currently can't. Here's a thread discussing it: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/201070.aspx?PageIndex=1

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 2
Virginia Bautista | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 5:34 AM

Thank God!  My Logos has been updating regularly and I have not experienced one set back.  Everything has continued to work without issue.  I didn't even know I was being updated.  I am on Windows 10 Pro now with Logos 9.5.0.0019.  Be thankful we have a great tool like Logos, right?

Posts 2
Virginia Bautista | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 5:34 AM

Thank God!  My Logos has been updating regularly and I have not experienced one set back.  Everything has continued to work without issue.  I didn't even know I was being updated.  I am on Windows 10 Pro now with Logos 9.5.0.0019.  Be thankful we have a great tool like Logos, right?

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS