Removing the Store (cart) icon in Logos 9

Page 1 of 7 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 127 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 15
Ben Carr | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 25 2021 3:45 PM

I don't want to feel like I am being sold something every time I study the Bible. It's a major turn off. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the icon on the top right of my screen?

Thank you.

Posts 127
Scot Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 3:53 PM

I'm right with you. I don't need that type of access to the store and it takes up precious space on the tool bar. At least give us the option to hide it in settings.

Posts 2519
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 5:57 PM

There's another thread that has been talking about this.  I don't remember the title, but there were a number of users that share your feelings. 

Posts 5843
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 6:05 PM

Ben Carr:

I don't want to feel like I am being sold something every time I study the Bible. It's a major turn off. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the icon on the top right of my screen?

Thank you.

I agree this is an unnecessary intrusion into our Bible Study Workspace, but I we have never been given the option of controlling what icons FL puts on the Toolbar, we only have control over what we put on the short-cut bar.

Ideally I'd like to hide the option to hide the store tab in the library but having a shopping cart in our main workspace its taking it too far and the user should have a choice about it. Put it on the About Menu if they must or under the drop down menu from our user icon but where there are likely to be some users will find it offensive.

Posts 33233
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 6:07 PM

New store button in Logos 9.5 beta 1 - Faithlife Forums

Logos 9.5 Beta 2 (9.5.0.0005) - Faithlife Forums

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1325
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 7:22 PM

The camel's nose. What's next? In-resource advertisements between page breaks? (Oops, I shouldn't give them ideas...)

This is paid software, not a free-to-post message board. Please try to remember that.

Has anyone started a user voice vote thingy to get this removed yet?

Posts 1251
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 7:27 PM

So far, it's not intrusive for me. I had to physically look for the shopping cart icon. Since it hasn't popped up anything (so far), it doesn't bother me. I do use a 15.6" FHD monitor though and perhaps that makes it smaller in terms of screen space?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1251
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 8:40 PM

Looking at these other threads linked in this discussion, why not put it in the tools menu. Those who want it can drag it out onto the tool bar. Those who don't won't have to.

But it does seem like the people who dislike it have been asked to "give it time," and now that it is live have repeated their dislike. So, while it doesn't bother me, I would cast a vote to remove it from the taskbar.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 2160
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 9:59 PM

We're considering a setting/customization option. Fun fact: this was a part of the toolbar in Libronix two decades ago: https://blog.logos.com/how_to_unlock_locked_resources/. As far as I know, no one seemed to mind then.

Unlock Resources

Posts 1184
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 10:41 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're considering a setting/customization option.

Thank you Phil. I would actually request that you issue a service release to remove the Store button and only add it back when you've developed the ability for the user to remove it. There's a major bug fix in 9.5 that I've been waiting for since the bug was introduced in 9.2 (dashboard card bug) that I would like to take advantage of, but I can't update without causing myself an even worse and more frustrating problem. Since this is Bible software and not book-buying software, I think being able to access the tools we use to study the Bible takes priority over a button to search the Logos store. Logos exists to "help the church grow in the light of the Bible," not in the light of the Logos store.

I would also ask that Logos refrain from adding any more buttons to the Toolbar (regardless of function) until you've developed a fully customizable toolbar in full control of the user. I don't think it's too much to ask for Logos to have a customizable Toolbar. Many of the programs we use have customizable toolbars, including a certain competitor that shall not be named.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
As far as I know, no one seemed to mind then.

Could people use the Customize option shown in the picture on the Tools menu to customize the toolbar? Or right-click on the Toolbar and click customize? If so, that may be why they didn't mind it. I wasn't around for Libronix but I've been a Windows user for a long time and this looks like a standard Windows toolbar that you can usually customize.

Posts 1325
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 25 2021 10:56 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We're considering a setting/customization option. Fun fact: this was a part of the toolbar in Libronix two decades ago: https://blog.logos.com/how_to_unlock_locked_resources/. As far as I know, no one seemed to mind then.

The objection (at least from me) is not to having access to the store from within the program. The objection is to you trying to squeeze it into every possible nook and cranny that you possibly can. By my count there are now at least 3 different ways to access the store from the program. That is at least one too many. Please reconsider this approach and don't add any more marketing bells & whistles to the program.

Posts 1184
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 12:04 AM

Sean:

By my count there are now at least 3 different ways to access the store from the program.

There are definitely more than three. Here are the ways I could think of:

1. Bookstore search in the Search tool
  2. Factbook
  3. Store tab in Library (Only takes 2 clicks to get here without the Store button. The Store button is simply a shortcut to get here, making it redundant and superfluous.)
  4. "Bookstore" Guide Section
    • Passage
    • Topic
    • Exegetical
    • Sermon Starter
    • Counseling (new for 9.5)
  5. Resource preview windows when clicking on locked resources throughout the software
    • Theology Guide (locked resources under Recommended Readings section)
    • Interactives with links to resources
      • Systematic Theologies
      • Bible Book Explorer (Composition dates section)
      • others
    • Power Lookup (when you click on a reference but don’t own a resource that contains that reference)

Sean:
don't add any more marketing bells & whistles to the program.

Agreed. I find many of the above-mentioned helpful. But the difference is that they are there when I'm looking for them and hideable/ignorable when I'm not. Adding a fixed button to the toolbar is too in-your-face and just overkill at this point with all the other ways to get to the store. The fact that it's there at the expense of my Bible study tools when I'm in half-screen view makes it altogether unacceptable.

Posts 410
Raphael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 1:31 AM

The store button is absolutely unnecessary! Please remove it.

God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him.  John Piper

Posts 2196
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 6:49 AM

Raphael:

The store button is absolutely unnecessary! Please remove it.

I agree

Posts 655
Andreas Roemer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 7:09 AM

Raphael:
The store button is absolutely unnecessary! Please remove it

me tooYes

"Die Welt wird dich Gehorsam lehren, denn da besteht die Notwendigkeit, ein Stück Brot zu verdienen". (Waltari)

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 7:14 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Fun fact: this was a part of the toolbar in Libronix two decades ago: https://blog.logos.com/how_to_unlock_locked_resources/. As far as I know, no one seemed to mind then.

To me, there is a big difference in how it was implemented. In Libronix, it was under the "Tools" menu. You had to click to get there. It was not in your face like this button is. Maybe it should have been put under the Tools menu, same place as it was in Libronix.

The store is being way overdone in the software. Totally unnecessary.

Posts 428
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 7:18 AM

Kiyah:
By my count there are now at least 3 different ways to access the store from the program.

I'm thinking the Prayer Management System can be next, with FL analyzing the prayer title, and then suggesting a helpful book.  Followed by the helpful popups as one reads, each carefully curated suggestion, and oh so convenient!

Not referring to Kiyah, but guys, they need the money!

- Apparently 6 million users, and Bob says the vast (at least more than broad) majority don't spend a dime. Saleries and payroll can't wait.

- Expanded business line investments need funding. Books are just so has-been. OL??

- What else can they sell?  Five more datasets? Fixing 8 years-old bugs?

Phil believes you'll get used to it. And he'll be right. 

Posts 2160
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 26 2021 7:29 AM

Rick:
To me, there is a big difference in how it was implemented. In Libronix, it was under the "Tools" menu. You had to click to get there. It was not in your face like this button is. Maybe it should have been put under the Tools menu, same place as it was in Libronix.

Not true. Look at the screenshot I shared. It was both in the Tools menu and on the main toolbar.

Page 1 of 7 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS