Sermon Editor 'jumping around' while editing

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 28 2021 6:56 AM

I'm using a MacBook Pro, running Big Sur 11.4, and Logos 9.5 SR-1 (9.5.0.0019).

When editing text in the Sermon Builder, Logos keeps moving the contents of the window around. 

I've tried to capture a video of it happening, but the video capture software is misbehaving. 

Posts 24907
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 7:01 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
When editing text in the Sermon Builder, Logos keeps moving the contents of the window around. 

There used to be a problem when the position of the cursor changed - but what you are describing sounds very different.

A temporary workround for the previous problem was to ensure the panel containing the Sermon Builder was set to default scaling. So with the scale slider set to the third position from the left with the slighthter taller marking.

If you set it to default, does that change what you are seeing?

Posts 2136
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 11:53 AM

In my experience, clicking to place the cursor at the beginning (or end) of a line was often the culprit for the document jumping around and losing its position. We didn't have good margins, so you had to click within a few pixels to get the cursor to land. If the cursor didn't land (and you didn't notice) and you typed a key on the keyboard, it would jump to the top of the document. The click would cause Sermon Builder panel to lose its cursor position, and typing a key would reset the cursor location to the beginning of the document.

We fixed this in 9.5 beta 3, and it will ship in 9.6 in July.

If you're experiencing something different, we'd love to know. Thanks for your feedback.

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 1:12 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

In my experience, clicking to place the cursor at the beginning (or end) of a line was often the culprit for the document jumping around and losing its position. We didn't have good margins, so you had to click within a few pixels to get the cursor to land. If the cursor didn't land (and you didn't notice) and you typed a key on the keyboard, it would jump to the top of the document. The click would cause Sermon Builder panel to lose its cursor position, and typing a key would reset the cursor location to the beginning of the document.

We fixed this in 9.5 beta 3, and it will ship in 9.6 in July.

If you're experiencing something different, we'd love to know. Thanks for your feedback.

Graham's suggestion solved the immediate issue, but it's still a bug to be solved. 

I wasn't clicking; most of the time it happens while I'm typing, although as you can see in the attached video clip, I wasn't doing anything and it jumped to the start of the sermon text:

https://youtu.be/pah3zcnFKJ4

Posts 2136
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 28 2021 1:59 PM

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. We'll see if we can find and fix the problem.

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 29 2021 5:51 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. We'll see if we can find and fix the problem.

Yes

Posts 21
LogosEmployee
Austin Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 2 2021 7:09 AM

Gregory,

We're testing this and looking into it quite a bit.  Our early thought is that, for some reason, the Sermon Builder document is reloading.  Upon the reload, it's taking the view to the top of the document.  Of course now the question is why it's doing the reload action, but in your video where you weren't typing and it sent it back to the top, were any keystrokes made of any kind right before it happened?  Or, was the computer sitting idle for several seconds prior to it jumping to the top on its own?  

I've tested through multiple different settings options to see if I can try to trigger it somehow but have yet to be successful.  Can you think of any settings that you had during these sessions that may have been out of the ordinary?  I'm essentially trying to find the right formula to get it to a place where I can reproduce it.

Thanks for the help with these questions as we continue to try to track down the root issue.

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 6:24 AM

Austin Bush:

Gregory,

We're testing this and looking into it quite a bit.  Our early thought is that, for some reason, the Sermon Builder document is reloading.  Upon the reload, it's taking the view to the top of the document.  Of course now the question is why it's doing the reload action, but in your video where you weren't typing and it sent it back to the top, were any keystrokes made of any kind right before it happened?  Or, was the computer sitting idle for several seconds prior to it jumping to the top on its own?  

I've tested through multiple different settings options to see if I can try to trigger it somehow but have yet to be successful.  Can you think of any settings that you had during these sessions that may have been out of the ordinary?  I'm essentially trying to find the right formula to get it to a place where I can reproduce it.

Thanks for the help with these questions as we continue to try to track down the root issue.

Hi Austin - sorry about the delayed response (I'm away from home and finally checked the forums). 

I was doing nothing at all when the page reloaded. My settings are pretty much default, with the exception of reducing the panel scale. Sometimes the computer was sitting idle, sometimes for 15-20 seconds. Sometimes it happened while I was typing. In those situations the pane would jump so that the insertion point was on the bottom visible line. 

Posts 21
LogosEmployee
Austin Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 9:03 AM

Okay, thanks for the feedback.  We are continuing to test this internally and will work towards resolving it.

Posts 501
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2021 7:02 AM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS