Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1263
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 31 2021 1:59 PM

I am surprised that the Factbook does not have an entry on the Exodus -- as a concept, not the book of Exodus. I can't be the only person that wanted to look this event up.

The word "Exodus" does not appear on the Timeline either, at least using this word. The events "Israelites Leave Egypt (early)" and "Israelites Leave Egypt (late)" are there, which amount to the same thing. But I suspect many people would want to filter the Timeline by Exodus to see when event this occurred.

Posts 326
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 2:22 PM

There is an option for a preaching theme. In the preaching theme you find The Israelites leave Egypt and this is probably what you are looking for.

Posts 1263
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 2:29 PM

Matt Hamrick:

There is an option for a preaching theme so as far as I am concerned that will work for concept.

The preaching theme is "Freedom", which doesn't really capture the theological significance of the event in the OT and NT, let alone the historical questions raised about the Exodus.

The Lexham Bible Dictionary has a nice article on the Exodus, which would a good key article for "Exodus (Concept)" in the Factbook.

Posts 326
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 2:30 PM

Harry Hahne:

Matt Hamrick:

There is an option for a preaching theme so as far as I am concerned that will work for concept.

The preaching theme is "Freedom", which doesn't really capture the theological significance of the event in the OT and NT, let alone the historical questions raised about the Exodus.

The Lexham Bible Dictionary has a nice article on the Exodus, which would a good key article for "Exodus (Concept)" in the Factbook.

Yeah, but the topic in the preaching theme gave the Israelites leave Egypt topic for the Factbook. Another option is Exodus from Egypt.

Posts 1263
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 3:31 PM

Matt Hamrick:
Another option is Exodus from Egypt.

I see that If you type "Exodus from" in the Factbook, you are presented with the option "Exodus from Egypt" as a biblical event. One problem is that this is not offered when you type in Exodus. Further, this is not a particularly helpful Factbook entry. 

"The Israelites Leave Egypt" is more of the Factbook entry that I would expect for Exodus. In fact it brings up the LBD article on Exodus as the Key Article. 

At the very least the Factbook should include a stub entry for "Exodus (Biblical Event)" with a link to "The Israelites Leave Egypt" Factbook report.

I also do not know why if "The Exodus from Egypt" is tagged as a biblical event in Logos it does not appear in the Timeline. It ought to be in the Timeline and show up if the Timeline is filtered by "Exodus."

Posts 33251
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 31 2021 7:02 PM

Harry Hahne:
I also do not know why if "The Exodus from Egypt" is tagged as a biblical event in Logos it does not appear in the Timeline. It ought to be in the Timeline and show up if the Timeline is filtered by "Exodus."

Biblical Events are tied to the Biblical Event Navigator where "The Exodus from Egypt" is a top level event.

If one goes from Factbook enter Exodus to show all, events has what you expect:

Err 2

I agree that there are issues on the use of "concept" ... I don't see eye-to-eye with FL staff on the distinction between a concept and an instance of the concept.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS