BUG: Factbook not switching articles when it should

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5363
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 3 2021 12:05 PM

Verbum 9.6 Beta 1. Windows.

While the Factbook is loading an article, i.e., when it is opening originally or after one has commanded it to do so, it is impossible to redirect the Factbook to any other article. For example, if the Factbook is in the process of opening up the Athanasian Creed article, it will finish loading that article before starting to load the article on Saint Charles Lwanga that I directed it to open well before the Athanasian Creed article finished loading. There is no good reason for this delay.

This problem is much more noticeable with some articles than others, but it's troublesome for the example above even on a very fast SSD-equipped laptop, so it's probably much worse on slower devices.

The effects of this problem could be alleviated somewhat by finally allowing Factbook open to blank rather than to the most recent article.

Posts 32561
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2021 7:27 PM

bump 1 for attention

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3506
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 15 2021 3:25 PM

SineNomine:

Verbum 9.6 Beta 1. Windows.

While the Factbook is loading an article, i.e., when it is opening originally or after one has commanded it to do so, it is impossible to redirect the Factbook to any other article. For example, if the Factbook is in the process of opening up the Athanasian Creed article, it will finish loading that article before starting to load the article on Saint Charles Lwanga that I directed it to open well before the Athanasian Creed article finished loading. There is no good reason for this delay.

This problem is much more noticeable with some articles than others, but it's troublesome for the example above even on a very fast SSD-equipped laptop, so it's probably much worse on slower devices.

The effects of this problem could be alleviated somewhat by finally allowing Factbook open to blank rather than to the most recent article.

SineNomine,

I'm having trouble reproducing this with 9.6 Beta 3. If you can still reproduce this can you upload your logs?

Posts 5363
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 16 2021 10:34 AM

Philana R. Crouch:
I'm having trouble reproducing this with 9.6 Beta 3. If you can still reproduce this can you upload your logs?

I believe that the underlying behaviour of Factbook waiting to finish loading the present article before beginning to switch to the one I've requested is still present, but right now, for whatever reason my system is opening Factbook articles fast enough that it's hard to completely confirm. If I have time later, I'll try it on a slower system, on which it should be obvious.

For any testers reading who use slower devices, here are simple steps to reproduce:

1. Load the Factbook to an article ("A") that will load lots of content.

2. Close the Factbook.

3. Click on the Factbook button and drag to open up a new Factbook pane.

4. Before the new Factbook pane finishes loading that first article, put in the title of another Factbook article ("B") and click "Enter".

5. You (unfortunately) should see that the Factbook pane finishes loading Article A before it starts to load Article B.

(The desired behaviour is that the Factbook pane abandons the loading of Article A once you request Article B.)

Posts 3506
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2021 12:57 PM

SineNomine:

Philana R. Crouch:

I believe that the underlying behaviour of Factbook waiting to finish loading the present article before beginning to switch to the one I've requested is still present, but right now, for whatever reason my system is opening Factbook articles fast enough that it's hard to completely confirm. If I have time later, I'll try it on a slower system, on which it should be obvious.

For any testers reading who use slower devices, here are simple steps to reproduce:

1. Load the Factbook to an article ("A") that will load lots of content.

2. Close the Factbook.

3. Click on the Factbook button and drag to open up a new Factbook pane.

4. Before the new Factbook pane finishes loading that first article, put in the title of another Factbook article ("B") and click "Enter".

5. You (unfortunately) should see that the Factbook pane finishes loading Article A before it starts to load Article B.

(The desired behaviour is that the Factbook pane abandons the loading of Article A once you request Article B.)

SineNomine,

I'm still having trouble reproducing this. Can you still reproduce it to your slower computer. Also, what are your specs that would be helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS