Catch the Augustine sale this month

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1843
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2021 1:54 PM

SineNomine:
Beware, though, of the many patristic parallel resources that... aren't.

I have Popular Patristics as one of my favorite sets - but for better or worse, they include both the original language as well as an English translation for many works. And for a while Logos seemed to think I wanted to default to the Greek instead of English, so I learned to use the parallel resource tool...

Well, there are different numbering systems for the letters of many of the fathers, and the tagging in logos works is not exactly always consistent in using the same numbering system as the author of the book referencing a letter is using. And in Augustine, there are more than a few works that have similar names, but are indeed separate works. I do remember reporting a LOT of these as typos when I read through Pannenberg's Systematic Theology a few years ago.

And that is not getting into how there are multiple "standards" for sub units of many fathers, namely Chapters and Paragraph numbers, with each used separately at times, or together too. In general patristic references are complicated enough that it would not want to imagine trying to come up with a computer algorithm to automatically link them, even when I do complain about bad links.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 5547
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 6:32 PM

Ken McGuire:
And for a while Logos seemed to think I wanted to default to the Greek instead of English, so I learned to use the parallel resource tool...

That can also be fixed using Prioritization and custom series, fwiw.

Posts 1843
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2021 12:56 PM

Yeah. When I was told I could create a custom series, it was easy to fix.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 7:36 AM

Ken McGuire,  Thank you for your helpful post.  I would have missed some valuable Augustine material without it.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS