Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 4 2021 7:18 PM

Looking for opinions on using MacBook Air for beta testing Logos. I've yet to purchase and have no experience with beta testing. I'm currently on a MacBook Pro 2018 13" 1TB Storage 16 GB RAM don't remember the stats for the SSD see signature line for other details.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 19340
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 8:47 PM

Apple's WorldWide Developer Conference (WWDC) starts next week on 7 Jun 2021. Reading a rumor about new Apple Silicon MacBook Pro models with noticeable speed improvements over last year's M1 CPU along with 14" or 16" screen. Another WWDC rumor has more Apple Silicon models.

Suggest waiting for WWDC announcements next week before deciding what to purchase.

Thankful that Logos & Verbum can be used at the same time: can be the same Faithlife account so one application is Beta while the other is Stable.

Personally have both Logos & Verbum on my primary iMac on Beta channel (caveat: as a lay person currently locked out of prison, have low risk for any Beta issue having drastic impact on my application use). Also have an older MacBook Air that has stable applications (for travel & just in case).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 9:14 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Thankful that Logos & Verbum can be used at the same time: can be the same Faithlife account so one application is Beta while the other is Stable.
How do you manage that trick?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 9:37 PM

Beloved Amodeo:

Do I simply have to switch to Verbum and then invoke the command set update channel to beta?

Posts 19340
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 9:57 PM

Beloved Amodeo:

Beloved Amodeo:

Do I simply have to switch to Verbum and then invoke the command set update channel to beta?

First, suggest installing Verbum application => https://verbum.com/install  (can use same Faithlife login as Logos: Notes, ... can be in both applications, which can be helpful OR a possible pain). Using one Faithlife account does have items sync between applications.

After you are comfortable switching between Logos & Verbum applications, then can use command to set update channel to beta.

FWIW: my Logos application uses my Faithlife account with purchased library. My Verbum application has my demonstration account login (order total of $ 0.00) so my demonstration library is substantially smaller (less features enabled tends to perform a bit better). My purchased library uses 154 GB of storage (all resources downloaded) while my demonstration library uses 14 GB (has 477 resources downloaded with 572 in the cloud).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2021 10:11 PM

First, suggest installing Verbum application => https://verbum.com/install  (can use same Faithlife login as Logos: Notes, ... can be in both applications, which can be helpful OR a possible pain). Using one Faithlife account does have items sync between applications.

After you are comfortable switching between Logos & Verbum applications, then can use command to set update channel to beta.

FWIW: my Logos application uses my Faithlife account with purchased library. My Verbum application has my demonstration account login (order total of $ 0.00) so my demonstration library is substantially smaller (less features enabled tends to perform a bit better). My purchased library uses 154 GB of storage (all resources downloaded) while my demonstration library uses 14 GB (has 477 resources downloaded with 572 in the cloud).

Keep Smiling Smile

I already have Verbum installed and it has the identical Library total of 17,500 resources as Logos. Will this interfere with performance? I'm comfortable switching between programs. Is there anything else I should know before experimenting with the beta channel?

Posts 29616
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 4:07 AM

i Have beta tested in the past, and may do so in the future. You should not depend upon a beta installation for work purposes. You should plan to lose access to  your installation for weeks. That doesn’t always happen, but it does happen… so you should plan on it. KS4J’s suggestion to utilize both “streams” of the app is a mitigation technique he employs in case of troubles. It is a good suggestion if you have the space. There have been some beta testing cycles when it would not have been helped because of the nature of the new versions. For example, sometimes the new software will require changes to  your account. These are rare, but you should “read the fine print” for each release. 

There are some worries about Apple Silicon and SSD health, so that should be considered before beta testing. 

You should understand the purpose of beta testing. It is not to gain access to new features. The purpose is to help the developers discover bugs. It should be undertaken by those who are technically minded and who have the time necessary to devote to systematically experiment and write up reports with appropriate details. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19340
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 8:11 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
I already have Verbum installed and it has the identical Library total of 17,500 resources as Logos. Will this interfere with performance? I'm comfortable switching between programs. Is there anything else I should know before experimenting with the beta channel?

Anticipating nothing noticeably different in performance between Logos & Verbum on one computer using SSD.

Logos Help Center (LHC) has 

If (when) encounter an issue using a Beta release, log files need to be posted in this Logos Desktop Beta forum, ideally with steps to repeat issue, can include screen shot(s) OR video illustrating issue.

Thankful for reduction of crashes using Beta releases.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 8:26 AM

JT (alabama24):
The purpose is to help the developers discover bugs. It should be undertaken by those who are technically minded and who have the time necessary to devote to systematically experiment and write up reports with appropriate details. 
I don't think I'm there yet. Based on your sage advice, I will devote more of my free time to reading bug reports by MVPs and some certain other forum participants in the beta forums and improving my technical knowledge by systematically experimenting with the stable version in search for bugs and asking questions. Thanks! JT.

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 8:31 AM

Beloved Amodeo:

Anticipating nothing noticeably different in performance between Logos & Verbum on one computer using SSD.

Logos Help Center (LHC) has 

If (when) encounter an issue using a Beta release, log files need to be posted in this Logos Desktop Beta forum, ideally with steps to repeat issue, can include screen shot(s) OR video illustrating issue.

Thankful for reduction of crashes using Beta releases.

Keep Smiling Smile

What's the best way to make a video using a Mac?

Posts 29616
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 9:26 AM

Beloved Amodeo:

"Best" is subjective, but Quicktime is built in. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208721 

Posts 3068
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 10:30 AM

JT (alabama24):

Beloved Amodeo:

"Best" is subjective, but Quicktime is built in. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208721 

Thanks, JT

Posts 5510
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 11:42 AM

JT (alabama24):
You should understand the purpose of beta testing. It is not to gain access to new features. The purpose is to help the developers discover bugs. It should be undertaken by those who are technically minded and who have the time necessary to devote to systematically experiment and write up reports with appropriate details. 

All true. That said, sometimes for some people it can be worth switching to Beta even just for a few weeks because of new features or bug fixes that they would otherwise have to wait an extra month for.

Posts 29616
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 5:19 PM

Yes absolutely. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS