Obtaining permission to use certain maps in presentations

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2021 5:21 AM

Some of the best maps are in resources such Carta's atlases. But these resources usually have some sort of statement at the start that none of the contents may be used in any form without express permission from the publisher.

So I was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting permission from publishers such as Carta to use their maps in preaching? Like simply showing (not sharing) a map in Proclaim or PowerPoint.

Posts 5375
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 6:33 AM

Jordan Litchfield:
So I was wondering if anyone has had any success in getting permission from publishers such as Carta to use their maps in preaching? Like simply showing (not sharing) a map in Proclaim or PowerPoint.

If there is no 'broadcasting' element to the presentation, then I would assume that it would fall under 'fair use' whether Proclaim, or Powerpoint were used of not.

Not much different from those machines that projected pages from a book on the wall really.

Actually, I am not sure that, even if an image were shown as an incidental slide in a broadcast sermon, that it would fall outwith the fair use criteria.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 5515
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 11:46 AM

Mike Binks:
If there is no 'broadcasting' element to the presentation, then I would assume that it would fall under 'fair use' whether Proclaim, or Powerpoint were used of not.

Nothing falls under "fair use" in countries that don't use "fair use", though....

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 9:21 PM

SineNomine:
Nothing falls under "fair use" in countries that don't use "fair use", though...

Since you mentioned "fair use", I did just a little searching and learned that in the UK (my home) we have what's called "fair dealing". So that covers and answers my own question.

Thanks!

Posts 5375
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 11:45 PM

Jordan Litchfield:
Since you mentioned "fair use", I did just a little searching and learned that in the UK (my home) we have what's called "fair dealing". So that covers and answers my own question.

I take it you found the British Library page. Quite interesting in its own right.

Where are you based? I'm with the Church of Scotland in Corby Northamptonshire.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 474
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2021 11:08 AM

Mike Binks:
I take it you found the British Library page.

No, I actually got my info from Wikipedia, the source of all rock-solid information! Thanks for the link though. Definitely better.

Mike Binks:
Where are you based?

I'm originally from Indiana, but now a dual citizen living in the Ards Peninsula in Northern Ireland. Methodist Church in Ireland.

Posts 5375
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 1:38 AM

Jordan Litchfield:
I'm originally from Indiana, but now a dual citizen living in the Ards Peninsula in Northern Ireland. Methodist Church in Ireland.

If you are ever in the Newry/Warrenpoint/Rathriland/Crossmaglen area and come across a Firefighter don't mention my name or you'll likely get run out of town.

I used to look after Fire Stations there 1983-88.  :-)

I understand that there are even some old men in Belfast that remember me for the five years I spent there before going South.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 8211
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 1:59 AM

So…if I were to record a short devo in YouTube and included a map on the video, would that be considered violation of copyrights?

DAL

Posts 5375
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 7 2021 8:10 AM

DAL:

So…if I were to record a short devo in YouTube and included a map on the video, would that be considered violation of copyrights?

DAL

I don't know! but YouTube is quite helpful in as much as it locksdown stuff as soon as somebody challenges the content of a video. Their automatic detectors are really quite sophisticated.

I guess that it would, like most things, depend on context. 

tootle pip

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS