Quick jump to an open resource

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1247
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2021 10:27 PM

I often have a lot of resources open with multiple tabs in a window. When there are more than a few tabs open, it is hard to tell what resource a particular tab represents because there is only an icon on the tab. For example, I often have several commentaries open on the same window and have another window with several Bible versions.

I would like a shortcut to jump to a particular resource that is already open. My ideal would be to press a keyboard shortcut and then enter the resource abbreviation to jump to that open resource. Even better would be a pick list of open resources in all windows.

Entering a resource abbreviation in the Command box is very slow to populate a pick list and it does not include an option to jump to a copy of a resource that is already open.

Often when I make a request for something, one of you power users tells me that feature already exists. Any ideas?

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 11:29 PM

Harry Hahne:
Often when I make a request for something, one of you power users tells me that feature already exists. Any ideas?

I don't believe this exists at the moment and I see how it could be useful.

There are some keyboard shortcuts that could help in the meantime.

For example, to move from one tab in a panel to the next one"

• On Mac: Shift-Command-]
  • On Windows: Ctrl-Shift-Tab

This would enable you to quickly cycle through your open commentaries, once having selected that panel.

Does this help at all?

Posts 1247
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2021 11:56 PM

Graham Criddle:

For example, to move from one tab in a panel to the next one"

• On Mac: Shift-Command-]
  • On Windows: Ctrl-Shift-Tab

This would enable you to quickly cycle through your open commentaries, once having selected that panel.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That would be helpful, but the behavior is not what I would expect. .

Supposedly, Ctrl+Tab will jump to the next tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab will go to the previous tab. But it is often a tab in a different window. It jumps around to random tabs in various windows, sometimes skipping a few tabs in a window and then going backwards to a previous tab in the same window. Sometimes it gets stuck going back and forth between the same 2 tabs in different windows. I thought it might be working from the History, but I cannot see the pattern. 

Posts 24763
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2021 1:15 AM

Harry Hahne:
Supposedly, Ctrl+Tab will jump to the next tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab will go to the previous tab. But it is often a tab in a different window

On Windows, also try Ctrl-PageUp / Ctrl-PageDown.

This seems to cycle through the tabs in a specific panel in a sequential order

Posts 2657
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2021 8:14 AM

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Tab operate in the same way as Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab do in Windows. They cycle between tabs in the order of most recent access. Keep the Ctrl key held down until you reach the tab you want. Then when you release it, it will update the order of the most recently accessed tabs, which means the next Ctrl+Tab will send you back to the tab you were using before.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 1247
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2021 11:41 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Tab operate in the same way as Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab do in Windows. They cycle between tabs in the order of most recent access. Keep the Ctrl key held down until you reach the tab you want. Then when you release it, it will update the order of the most recently accessed tabs, which means the next Ctrl+Tab will send you back to the tab you were using before.

It is not quite the same as Alt+Tab in Windows. If I press Alt+Tab twice in Windows, the active program goes back to where I started. I often use this to switch quickly back and forth between 2 programs. Ctrl+Tab in Logos cycles through the tabs that I recently clicked on. So if I click on 4 tabs, it will cycle through all 4. That is not a problem. It just took me some experimenting to figure out why it was changing to various tabs. The help description "Go to next tab" is not exactly precise.

Posts 2657
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2021 6:49 AM

Harry Hahne:
It is not quite the same as Alt+Tab in Windows. If I press Alt+Tab twice in Windows, the active program goes back to where I started. I often use this to switch quickly back and forth between 2 programs. Ctrl+Tab in Logos cycles through the tabs that I recently clicked on. So if I click on 4 tabs, it will cycle through all 4.

I'm really curious what we are doing differently. For me, the behavior is exactly the same as Alt+Tab. It's entirely dependent on when I release the Ctrl key. If I Ctrl+Tab and release both keys then Ctrl+Tab again and release both keys, it will switch back and forth between two panels. If I press Ctrl+Tab and keep the Ctrl key held down, and then continue pressing Tab while keeping Ctrl held down, then it will cycle through all my tabs in the order I most recently visited them.

This is the same behavior I see in Windows with Alt+Tab (although Windows has a nice visual if you keep the Alt keep pressed).

At any rate, at least you are seeing some consistency.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 1247
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2021 2:50 PM

Andrew Batishko:
I'm really curious what we are doing differently. For me, the behavior is exactly the same as Alt+Tab.

Very peculiar. Today it is working like you describe.

Here is a new bug I found. If I hold down Ctrl and press Tab repeatedly, when I release the Ctrl key, a different panel in a different window comes into view other than the one that I tabbed. The one that I tabbed to has the orange selection bar, but another panel in a different window comes into view. This creates a nebulous state in which one tab is marked as active, but in fact it does not scroll if I press PgDn or the arrow key. If I press the arrow key the panel menu for one of the resources opens.

I recorded a short video to show what is happening.

0714.Ctrl Tab Focus Bug 2.mp4

The logs are here: 7065.Logos 06-11-21 1444.zip

*Logos 9.6 Beta 2 on Windows 10

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS