Effect of Windows 11 on operation of LOGOS?

Page 3 of 6 (116 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 115 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 3836
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 10:33 PM

Randall Lind:

You will need to find a used machine in a pawnshop running Windows 11 or figure out if it has support for TPM 2.0 in the CPU. Microsoft first says TPM 1.2 on their site then now it only 2.0. My Optiplex does 1.2. I have a Dell laptop and an HP all-in-one that doesn't support TPM. Now if you build your computers you may have a TPM 2.0 plug on your motherboard and then all you need is a plug-in adaptor.  I know nothing about TPM just that for some reason Microsoft wants to have your computer locked down. 

But even as I look at the specs for new computers, I see no mention of TPM.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 10:37 PM

it is listed on this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

Posts 56
Ezra Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 10:59 PM

If you haven't already, get an SSD. That will cut your Logos start time from 30 to 10 or 15 seconds, maybe less depending on your resources. It's a night and day difference.

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2021 11:06 PM

that's my next upgrade on My logos PC. :)   500gb SSD

Posts 443
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 12:06 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that the new Win 11 will only support certain hardware that has the TPM chip. My current Laptop is therefore not supported. Support for Win 10 will also be discontinued in 2025. The conclusion is that I should either buy new hardware or switch to another os that is supported by my current device. I saved two years to buy this device and can't afford to replace it. I really take good care of my electronic devices and they last very long.

I'm supporting Logos because it's the best Bible Software and Company in the world. But, the future will force me to use the webapp. I don't like this option because the webapp is not an option as it requires me to be on the internet.

The future as I see it currently will force me to switch to linux and end my support for Logos Software. This will be a waste as I invested a lot of my private finances to continue using this Software and serve the Lord's body here on earth.

Microsoft seem to force companies to their knees with this new security philosophy, they just don't know it yet. I'll probably start to disconnect my laptop completely from the internet and only use offline features. I won't be buying upgrades and start to lookout for free Bible Software supported by linux. This is very bad because I write about 350+ sermons a year in Logos. I'll need to export everything. There is probably a lot of users out there that doesn't comment on their perseption of this issue. Maybe they are not using Logos to it's full potential and won't mind to switch to other software. They will just suddenly dissapear because just like me they can't afford this financial beast that is standing up in the near future.

This is just some thoughts from a concerned heart, hope I'm wrong?

Posts 33245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 12:38 AM

read Why Windows 11 is forcing everyone to use TPM chips (msn.com) before panicking ... there is a fair chance your setup is fine.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1327
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 12:43 AM

Y'all are thinking and worrying way too much about something that hasn't happened yet. Windows ver. 10 will be supported till 2025 at least (how many times did they extend support for XP?) and it won't stop working immediately after that. Meanwhile, a meteorite could hit the earth by then or the 'coof version Delta Epsilon Pro Max could kills us all or who knows?

Meanwhile Bradly G. says no one has even seen an Insider Preview yet. It's way too early to get worked up about this. Time would be more productively spent complaining about the Store button or complaining about the complaints about the Store button or speculating with astrological precision as to when L10 will release.

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 12:46 AM

If you just brought 2 years ago you should have  TPM 2.0. You will just have to check in the bios and enable it. I am told if your computer is 2017 or newer no issue.

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:00 AM

It also came is could be into my mind this could be a good opportunity to move over to Linux.

A simple operating system and the basic software should be available to everyone as a human right.

Then those who want and need to, could join the commercial version and hardware update race.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1252
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:17 AM

Veli Voipio:

It also came is could be into my mind this could be a good opportunity to move over to Linux.

A simple operating system and the basic software should be available to everyone as a human right.

Then those who want and need to, could join the commercial version and hardware update race.

Of course that will bring more people to the “Why doesn’t FL make a Linux version of Logos?” threads Wink

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:24 AM

Veli Voipio:

How does Logos work on let say Linux Mint. This is the only Linux OS I like. I am a very simple person all I do is surf for the most part. I do use Quicken and Logos software but that's about it.

Posts 209
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:33 AM

PJ please read my post, is the penultimate message in page #2 of this thread. There I explain that even if you don't have a computer with TPM you can install Windows 11 by replacing the appraiserrs.ddl file. I did it and it works. As I said I was able to install Logos with Windows 11 on a computer deemed incompatible by the Microsoft check tool and it is working. Anyways it seems that Microsoft will allow to install Windows 11 on computers with TPM 1.2. My problem now is with the CPU, at this moment it seems that Microsoft don't want to release Windows 11 on a CPU older than 8th generation. In other words to install Windows 11 without using any "trick", you will need at least a coffee lake or whiskey lake CPU. I haven't check about AMD CPUs. Then there are the other things that Microsoft will force you to do, for example, at least with Windows 11 Home (I don't know if it will be the same with Windows 11 Pro), Microsoft won't allow you to install Windows 11 using a local account, you will be forced to use a Microsoft account. Other thing is a web cam, if you have a laptop Microsoft will force you to have a web cam in order to install Windows 11.

MJ. Smith, Sean -  Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 but What does that really means? Are they talking only about security patches or that they are going to provide new features and improvements? For example I didn't want to join my laptop to the insiders program so I've not been able to test Linux graphic support with Windows Subsystem Linux, that's a feature that I've been waiting for with great expectation. Is that feature going to be included in Windows 10 21H2? Take that as an example and apply that to many other things.

Again at this point the only reason I haven't switch to Linux is because of Logos. I can mount  a VM on Linux just to use Logos but now I wonder if Microsoft will allow you to create a VM with Windows 11 on a computer where you cannot install Windows 11 in the first place.

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 9:42 AM

PJ please read my post, is the penultimate message in page #2 of this thread. There I explain that even if you don't have a computer with TPM you can install Windows 11 by replacing the appraiserrs.ddl file. I did it and it works. As I said I was able to install Logos with Windows 11 on a computer deemed incompatible by the Microsoft check tool and it is working. Anyways it seems that Microsoft will allow to install Windows 11 on computers with TPM 1.2. My problem now is with the CPU, at this moment it seems that Microsoft don't want to release Windows 11 on a CPU older than 8th generation. In other words to install Windows 11 without using any "trick", you will need at least a coffee lake or whiskey lake CPU. I haven't check about AMD CPUs. Then there are the other things that Microsoft will force you to do, for example, at least with Windows 11 Home (I don't know if it will be the same with Windows 11 Pro), Microsoft won't allow you to install Windows 11 using a local account, you will be forced to use a Microsoft account. Other thing is a web cam, if you have a laptop Microsoft will force you to have a web cam in order to install Windows 11.

That is stupid needing a webcam. I think Logos will work fine in WINE. This is why I loved Linux Mint Wine just worked whereas in other Linux distro I had issues. Then again if I spending all my time in WINE why go to Linux?

Posts 209
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 10:12 AM

Randall I forgot to mention that is not even the local account, Microsoft won't allow you to install Windows 11 without an internet connection.

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 3:29 PM

Edil:

Randall I forgot to mention that is not even the local account, Microsoft won't allow you to install Windows 11 without an internet connection.

Paul Thurrott Windows expert who has been writing for years on Microsoft said the same thing happen when Windows 10 was in beta. So that may change and we may get a local account when release. Nothing I have runs it so I am sticking with what I have. If you do want a new PC/laptop you need to get at least an 8 gen processor. So like an iCore 5 8th gen. I would just wait until after it is released and look for one the comes with Windows 11.

Posts 5546
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 3:56 PM

Randall Lind:

If you just brought 2 years ago you should have  TPM 2.0. You will just have to check in the bios and enable it. I am told if your computer is 2017 or newer no issue.

And, as the article MJ suggested notes, you don't need TPM 2.0 anyway.

MJ. Smith:

read Why Windows 11 is forcing everyone to use TPM chips (msn.com) before panicking ... there is a fair chance your setup is fine.

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 28 2021 4:51 PM

I forgot with Linux you have to enter you password for everything you do. Driver updates, software install etc LOL I am testing Linux Mint I want to see if I can load Logos and Quicken. Not saying I am leaving Windows but like to see if it works.

Posts 209
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2021 5:41 AM

Well it seems that there is hope. Read this https://zd.net/2URkDEL

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2021 6:39 AM

I installed Linux mint on my laptop and I can't install Logos as of yet because .NET 4.7.1 will not finish downloading. So my big plan of switching seems not to be working for the time being. It keeps acting like it is going to finish downloading I am at the end but it seems stuck. The good news is this laptop is nice and fast again. If I can get Logos to work along with Quicken the plan was to switch my Dell Optiplex over. The only thing I hate about Linux is I need to enter passwords for about everything I do. That may be a good thing as I am always forgetting my Windows 10 Microsoft account password because they make me set a pin so I forget the words. LOL

I am stupid I can just use the web app in Linux no more issues. 

Posts 250
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2021 6:54 AM

Edil:

Well it seems that there is hope. Read this https://zd.net/2URkDEL

They must be upset with the bad press. LOL I heard some PC makers may be exempt in special cases from the requirements. The whole Windows 11 upgrade seems to be a mess. I still think if you have TMP 1.2 or TMP anything in bios let those people upgrade. TMP was made for businesses so the avg user John & Jane Doe have no idea why Microsoft is talking about it. 

I am going to go out on a limb but, I would say it is pretty safe to say most if not all people have dual cores that are 1-1.2ghz or faster. This TMP setting is an issue.

Page 3 of 6 (116 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS