Effect of Windows 11 on operation of LOGOS?

Page 6 of 6 (117 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 116 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 23 2021 8:46 AM

If you perfer Linux Mint or whatever but want to run Logos or some other Windows program that Wine has issues with try Virtualbox.

I was unable to sleep last night. My mind keeps me awake sometimes. I found a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmD8obq4eQ

This explains how to install Windows 10 in a Virtualbox or (virtual Machine) so when you need full Logos you can access it. The web app is awesome but limited. 

It works great I use Linux Mint now on all my machine. Make sure you have 4 cores. My Dell laptop is a 2 core machine works ok but there was a slight delay using Windows 10 in a VB. My Dell Optiplex 4 core i5 it is like using Windows normally. No delays.

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2021 8:44 AM

Sorry for bringing this topic back up. Microsoft has released the final specs yesterday. The good news is if you are in the insider program and running Windows 11 fine and don't meet the requirements you can keep Windows 11 by staying in the program. If You are running Windows 11 fine but still on unsupported requirements and don't want to be in the insider program when release if you make a bootable image you will be warned but allowed to install. Both of these cases will mean you are not supported by Microsoft. I have never called Microsoft for tech support so I am not sure what they mean. I assume you would still get updates. 

Here are the specs as of Yesterday:

• Firstly, the amount of RAM required has increased from 2GB to 4GB.
  • Secondly, whilst the clock speed of your CPU won’t need to be any higher, it will now need to have at least two cores and be 64-bit (32-bit is no longer an option). Some older CPUs that meet these requirements are unfortunately also no longer compatible with Windows 11 – you can see a full list of these here.
  • Thirdly, the amount of HDD space you will need at a minimum has increased from 16GB to 64GB, though Microsoft has stated that this may increase over time when updates are made to the operating system. The WePC recommendation is that you set aside 100GB on your hard drive.
  • Fourthly, and this is the thing which may catch the most people off guard, is that users will need to have both a processor that is fitted with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip, of at least version 2.0. and a motherboard whose firmware supports a UEFI, Secure Boot capable BIOS. Both of these features are, in Microsoft’s view, crucial to boosting the security of your machine, which is something the company is putting increasing priority on with Windows 11. Users running on older CPUs, such as processors older than the Intel 8th Gen / AMD Zen 2 / Qualcomm 7 & 8 Series, will likely come across a ‘TPM 2.0 not found’ error, and those running on older motherboards may lack UEFI secure boot. You can read more about how to check if your motherboard has TPM support and how to enable it in our Windows 11: How To Enable TPM In Bios guide.
  • Finally, you will apparently only be able to run Windows 11 on a screen that has at least 720p resolution, that is of at least 9″ in size and has 8-bit color channels. For the vast majority of users, none of these should be a problem, unless you ar running off an especially old CRT monitor.

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2021 8:51 AM

Apparently there’s a big catch in workarounds. Yes, you can install it, but updates are disabled.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3631609/the-gotcha-installing-windows-11-on-an-unsupported-pc-disables-updates.html?fbclid=IwAR2fBktQcpkp4fYYkrYpYgSL8bpwrvk6_IgNer5e0j2TbdgElR4SEOQi9IM

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2021 12:17 PM

I plan to use it in a VM so I can use Logos software and Quicken. I have a Dell Optiplex which is the only PC that can run Windows 11 unsupported. I have a feeling they will back off and allow secuirty patches. I could see no Windows 11 upgrades beyond the main release unless you want to reinstall a new image every year. I believe they are going yearly updates with 11.

I just switch to Kubuntu KDE and love it. I am not a Windows hater not rich enought to upgrade a PC. I could have but the checks I got went to replacing stuff in my apartment like my couch that really needed to go. 

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2021 1:35 PM

Randall Lind:

I plan to use it in a VM so I can use Logos software and Quicken. I have a Dell Optiplex which is the only PC that can run Windows 11 unsupported. I have a feeling they will back off and allow secuirty patches. I could see no Windows 11 upgrades beyond the main release unless you want to reinstall a new image every year. I believe they are going yearly updates with 11.

I just switch to Kubuntu KDE and love it. I am not a Windows hater not rich enought to upgrade a PC. I could have but the checks I got went to replacing stuff in my apartment like my couch that really needed to go. 

I'm not even remotely qualified to say whether that's a good plan or not. So I hope it's smooth sailing if you go that route.

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 283
Pater Noster | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2021 10:41 AM

It's being widely reported today (largely originating from PC World) that while Microsoft will allow Windows 11 installation on unsupported PCs, it will disable Windows Update completely - no patches, no security updates, nothing.

Here are three reports:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/unsupported-win11-pcs-wont-update 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3631609/the-gotcha-installing-windows-11-on-an-unsupported-pc-disables-updates.html 

https://winbuzzer.com/2021/08/30/microsoft-says-windows-11-updates-and-patches-will-be-withheld-on-incompatible-pcs-xcxwbn/ 

Posts 385
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2021 10:43 PM

I strongly suspect Microsoft will back down on this one before Windows 11 is released. While they want to discourage users from upgrading "unsupported" machines, this will create a problem much worse than the security problem they are trying to improve. Still, no guarantees at this point so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 7:54 AM

In recent news, it’s apparently going to be released October 5th. So, I guess we have until then to get sorted out on LOGOS.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3631414/windows-11-release-october-5.html

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 8:42 AM

Logos 9 works fine on it. I was in the Windows insider program before switching to Kubuntu KDE and had no issue. I am still deiciding if I want to try it in a VM since no secuirty patches etc.

Don't worry about your programs they all should work fine. Only issues I had with 11 was I had to enable there Microsofft secuirty app on boot.

I tried too upgrade my Dell Optiplex vm from 10 to 11 and it rejected that. Maybe because it a VM and not a real machine. I did have 11 on it before switching to linux.

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 8:59 AM

As far as I can tell, my computer is recent enough to qualify for it. My main thought was because of how they jumped from “some time in 2022” to “October,” I wondered if that could pose a problem.

But I’ll freely admit my ignorance on how software compatibility development works.

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 11:45 AM

David Wanat:
My main thought was because of how they jumped from “some time in 2022” to “October,” I wondered if that could pose a problem.

When it comes to major OS upgrades, FL typically recommends that users wait until they give the "all clear" notice. With macOS updates, this normally ends up happening on Day 1, but I do seem to remember a time when it was about a week later. 

FL's official stance is that they do not support "beta" operating systems... but that doesn't mean that they aren't testing it out themselves. 

It would be wise to wait to update any "mission critical" device.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 12:24 PM

Now they are saying you won't get Android app support until 2022.  All the hype of running android apps from Amazon we will have to wait for that. Also Oct 5th you will be able to buy a Windows 11 PC from Amazon, BestBuy etc.. I installed the image in a VM to tested it and Windows 11 seems lighter than 10. I like it but, it's not that big of a deal. The Dev iso is updating. I am guessing there will be another iso that will block my updates. Logos 9 and Quicken the two programs I need Windows for are working great.

Posts 209
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 2:21 PM

Randall I lost the reference but forget about hardware requirements I read that Microsoft will allow you to install Windows 11 in your laptop, the only thing is that you won't be able to do it via the Windows update process. You have to download the media creation tool, and install it from a CD or USB. I have done that in the past with Windows 10 and it is basically an update without loosing what I have on the laptop.

I want to correct something that I said in one of the comments that I made in this thread. I said that I only have one commercial program, Logos. I inventoried the software on my computer and actually I have five commercial programs that I paid for. A PDF editor, a guitar tablature editor, A TV tuner controller software for a USB TV capture card, a music file manager and Logos.

So I will try to install Windows 11 on my laptop even when it have a gen 7th CPU.

EDIT:

Ok found the reference. Is this article from arsTechnica

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 7:27 PM

Randall I lost the reference but forget about hardware requirements I read that Microsoft will allow you to install Windows 11 in your laptop, the only thing is that you won't be able to do it via the Windows update process. You have to download the media creation tool, and install it from a CD or USB. I have done that in the past with Windows 10 and it is basically an update without loosing what I have on the laptop.

I want to correct something that I said in one of the comments that I made in this thread. I said that I only have one commercial program, Logos. I inventoried the software on my computer and actually I have five commercial programs that I paid for. A PDF editor, a guitar tablature editor, A TV tuner controller software for a USB TV capture card, a music file manager and Logos.

So I will try to install Windows 11 on my laptop even when it have a gen 7th CPU.

EDIT:

Ok found the reference. Is this article from arsTechnica

I have a 4th gen i5 and TMP 1.2 no issues with Logos 9 or Quicken. I download Windows 11 iso and I am running it in VirtualBox in Kubuntu. The only reason  I am thinking I could install Win 11 is because of TMP 1.2. Besides TMP I really don't see why they are doing this. I guess they want PC makers to make money. Due to Covid, I think it is a bad time to be demanding people buy a new machine.

Posts 265
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2021 10:21 AM

I am not moving to Windows 11. They are starting to add ads to the taskbar that broke Windows 11. I will just keep Windows 10 in a VM and pray that FL makes the web version a full copy of the Windows desktop version in 4 years.

https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2021 10:41 AM

Randall Lind:

I am not moving to Windows 11. They are starting to add ads to the taskbar that broke Windows 11. I will just keep Windows 10 in a VM and pray that FL makes the web version a full copy of the Windows desktop version in 4 years.

https://www.xda-developers.com/microsoft-breaks-windows-11-by-injecting-ads/

Definitely a strike against it. I'm going to wait and see if they eliminate this garbage before it goes live. Given the End of Support date for Win 10, my laptop might be ready for replacement before that date comes.

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1
Bruce Spear | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 8:14 PM

I just upgraded to Windows 11 and Logos 9.9 is working pretty well. A little sluggish, but maybe that's because I haven't opened it for a while.  BTW, W10 to W11 upgrade process ran very smoothly unlike previous OS upgrades.

Page 6 of 6 (117 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS