Effect of Windows 11 on operation of LOGOS?

Page 7 of 7 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
This post has 138 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 274
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 30 2021 11:08 PM

I got my first Legit Windows 11 PC. A friend got me an Acer 15.6 Aspire ES1-533 Celeron N3350. It came with 4GB and a 500GB hard drive. She got it from a Pawnshop. I got into Windows 10 home and it told me: Your version of Windows 10 has reached the end of service. It has TPM in bios so I check in Windows 10 and it said 2.0. So what the heck Windows 10 is no longer supported. I decided to try a clean install of Windows 11 home and had no issues. I didn't have to do registry hacks. It installed normally. 

I went to Crucial and found out I can replace the 4GB ram stick with 8. This laptop only has one memory slot. I can get up to 4TB SSD 500GB will be fine. Maybe I will make it my Logos machine. I thought it was a trashed laptop because of the Celeron CPU but. it is pretty snappy. Once I do the upgrades should fly.

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 12:18 AM

Randall Lind:
it told me: Your version of Windows 10 has reached the end of service. It has TPM in bios so I check in Windows 10 and it said 2.0. So what the heck Windows 10 is no longer supported.

That version of Win 10 may no longer be supported but it could be updated to the latest version.  Win 10 as a whole will be supported until Oct 2025.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 274
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 5:37 AM

I think it was a bug cause I did a clean install of Windows 11 home after I saw it had a TPM 2.0 chip or bios. It installed with no issues, I didn't need to apply registry hacks. I know the first version of Windows 10 ended support for some cpu's. It turns out to be my first official Windows 11 machine.

Posts 2
Ken Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 9:56 AM

I installed Windows 11 and since the OS w installed, logos will not update. I don't recommend installing Windows 11 until Faithlife offers official support for this OS. 

Posts 2
Ken Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 10:10 AM

Logos would not update for me on Windows 11. I uninstalled Logos and installed a fresh copy and it worked. No word yet if Logos updates will work.

Posts 830
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:14 PM

Ken Burns:

I don't recommend installing Windows 11 until Faithlife offers official support for this OS. 

Ken,

We do offer official support for Windows 11.

Posts 26049
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:15 PM

Hi Ken - and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Logos on Windows 11

Ken Burns:

I don't recommend installing Windows 11 until Faithlife offers official support for this OS. 

I don’t understand - as per https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007506971-Logos-Minimum-System-Requirements Windows 11 is supported by Faithlife. 

Graham

Posts 36311
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:23 PM

Ken Burns:
No word yet if Logos updates will work.

They have worked smoothly for me and I updated to Win 11 soon after it was released. There is some other factor that causes the problem which has been reported occasionally by others.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 274
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:35 PM

Windows 11 vs Logos no issues works fine

Posts 1481
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 1:09 PM

Works fine for me. The only change I made was to add the Start11 to get the Windows 10 start menu back. I think my computer runs my programs better across the board. 

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 2859
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 9:21 PM

I am mostly delighted with Windows 11. Everything runs even smoother so it's almost like getting a new computer. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1397
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 11:02 PM

mab:

I am mostly delighted with Windows 11. Everything runs even smoother so it's almost like getting a new computer. 

Yeah I was surprised with the performance improvements. I like the aesthetic changes too; it feels more polished (except for the forced grouping of program windows on the taskbar).

Posts 1753
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 11:37 PM

My nine years old desktop stopped working in January. It had Windows 8.1 and I was forced to keep on using Logos 8 in the desktop. The new computer I bought was a Win 10 workstation and I updated it to Win 11 right away.

After installing Logos 9 I found it generally works well. The only problem was the Logos home screen didn't scroll, except occasionally. This off-the-shelf workstation had a video controller on the motherboard.

Then I bought a professional graphics card (I had planned it before for the CAD work) and everything was fast and smooth. My test case, the resource "Cities of Paul " https://www.logos.com/product/15513/cities-of-paul-images-and-interpretations-from-the-harvard-new-testament-and-archaeology-project also worked without delay. 

Then I had a new problem: text was not always visible in the settings small windows. The "update driver" command did not help. I had to browse the net to find the newest driver for this computer and graphics card. After installing that two days old driver, finally everything seems to work fine. 

Lesson learnt: Windows 11 is still under construction and also many of the drivers. The users should make an effort to get the newest (and most suitable) drivers for the computer.

Below is a picture when I am following two zoom lectures simultaneously. The new computer is the black box in the center.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 842
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 7:36 AM

Veli Voipio:
The "update driver" command did not help. I had to browse the net to find the newest driver for this computer and graphics card.

I recommend "Snappy Driver Installer"  (aka SDI) to find and install all drivers for anyone's PC. You'd be amazed at how many (and how often) hardware drivers get updated - and yet, you never hear of them until something goes sideways with your PC's operation or performance.

SDI is completely free and very effective at finding/downloading/installing every applicable driver for your system.  Other "free" driver download programs will hobble the download speed, or limit the downloads to just one at a time - unless you pay for the "pro" version or subscribe.

New SDI driver indexes come out ⁓ weekly.  I check for driver updates one or two times each month.

Youtube video HERE.

NB: I am not a paid shill for SDI - just an user who is interested in keeping my PC as up to date as possible and thought others might be as well.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 274
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2022 11:00 PM

Dave Hooton:
That version of Win 10 may no longer be supported but it could be updated to the latest version.  Win 10 as a whole will be supported until Oct 2025.

I read it is a bug on some machines that error but since it had the right stuff for Windows 11 I just upgraded to that. All my other machines are running Windows 11 unofficially. They are all getting updates as well. Download Windows 11 iso then a USB tool call Rufus when you make the USB select Windows 11 extended and file system MBR.

All my machines can't seem to boot from USB if I use GPT but are fine with MBR.

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2022 3:28 PM

While I primarily use my Linux laptop, I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary with Logos 9 on the Windows 11 laptop.

Posts 1
John Chopores | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2022 7:41 AM

What about Logos 6 will it work on windows 11?

Posts 26049
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2022 8:43 AM

Hi John - and welcome to the forums

John Chopores:
What about Logos 6 will it work on windows 11?

I don't know (but I doubt it) and would have been surprised if many people have tested it as it has been unsupported for so long.

If you have a Windows 11 system, why not install the free Logos 9 engine available at https://www.logos.com/product/194909/logos-9-basic 

This will not impact / take away any resources or features you currently have licensed to you

Graham

Posts 274
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2022 9:19 AM

Doesn't matter what you got my library is Pre-Logos 7 (not sure what's that means). The browser or whatever they call it is basic Logos 9 which is free to download. If I want the full feature I can buy that or just upgrade my library to another package that offers it. Logos was Libronix when I brought my package and they are always renaming packages so I don't remember what I brought I believe it was just under $700.

It works fine in Windows 11. All Windows 11 is from what I see a GUI update. If your stuff runs in Windows 10 it will work in 11.

Page 7 of 7 (139 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS