Tips for moving from discontentment to satisfaction in your Logos purchases

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 45
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 30 2021 1:05 AM

The vast number of excellent resources for sale through Logos can tempt you to endlessly scour the store for literature that you would love to have (but probably don't have time to read anyway). We might even spend more than we can afford to, just to keep in our personal libraries for one day that may never come. And then we'd still want to buy more. That is surely not what Faithlife wants for its customers!

To counter one's inclination to "want more stuff", here are two ways Logos provides for finding satisfaction in what one already has:

1. Set your library listing to show the "Cover view" instead of the "Title view" and then spend time perusing what you've got. It's like browsing in a public library, except that all the titles are yours (at least for now, if you have them through a subscription). I only use "Title view" before because it's faster and more practical to find something I want to study, but "Cover view" is good for some casual browsing and I'm finding much contentment in viewing it.
  2. On the main Logos website, go to the store (I'm sure you know the way!) and then do something different: Instead of choosing the "Unowned" Ownership Status (via the radio button at the top left), click on "Owned". Now, instead of viewing all those good books you don't own and can't afford, you can view all those you do own and can enjoy at no further expense—both the cover and a summary. You can even search on a topic (though you'll have to click the "Owned" button again afterwards) for a view of your resources on it.

I've been very blessed by these methods to discover literature I didn't know I had, and have enjoyed perusing my collection, reading excerpts from the Lexham Geographic Commentary on the seven assemblies in Revelation 2–3, and Pirke Avot for the first time. Hope they help you too!

Posts 8
Keith Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 3:43 AM

David B. Woods:
And then we'd still want to buy more. That is surely not what Faithlife wants for its customers!

With the addition of the Store Button in the latest update, I'm not quite as confident that buying more isn't there objective.

David B. Woods:
Set your library listing to show the "Cover view" instead of the "Title view" and then spend time perusing what you've got. It's like browsing in a public library, except that all the titles are yours

Thank you for this.  I was missing this about WordSearch and for some reason, didn't realize I could do it here.  It really does, kind of take you back to an old love.  Seeing the book and realizing that you actually own it (I stopped the subscription) and taking time to just read.  An entire library on your dinner table.  I've spent all my time just trying to figure out how to use things.

Posts 9619
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 6:37 AM

Thanks David for reminding us to be thankful for what we have and not discontent at what we don't have.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3130
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 8:11 AM

I commend you on this post. It's refreshing to see a post that expresses thanks for what one has through ownership and perhaps subscription to Logos and FL. May I add to your suggestions?

David B. Woods:

To counter one's inclination to "want more stuff", here are two ways Logos provides for finding satisfaction in what one already has: 

3.  If you've tagged all the resources you have received free, take time to account for all that FL has given to you free of charge. It may surprise you.

4.  If you are paying for a subscription to FL Connect checkout all the Temporary Licenses you enjoy because of your subscription and again if you tag     the resources you obtain via your subscription take time to review all you have received via this aggreement. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 227
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 12:39 PM

I posted somewhere a while back... it would be neat if Logos had a 'cover view' screensaver similar to Apple's iTunes screensaver that showed all the album art moving around (and you could click on an album to hear it). 

A logos screensaver that showed you the books you have, and you can click them to end the screensaver and open the book you click on... :) 

Posts 708
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 12:48 PM

I add my appreciation to that of Bruce and Beloved Amodeo for David's post.

Posts 130
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2021 1:39 PM

Another "oldie but goodie" is typing "FSD" into the Go box.

Posts 45
David B. Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 1 2021 12:23 AM

Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery?! That's new to me. My first time FSD returned the book, Discovering the Feminine Genius  Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS