NET Bible & Pre-Pubs

Page 3 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1842
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2022 1:51 PM

Mattillo:

My 2nd Edition Bible downloaded today.  Is there another version coming with just the notes? The first NET Bible in Logos had several pieces: 

Greek Text

Bible

Bible First Edition (notes)

Bible First Edition (noteless)

Will we get something similar w/ the second edition? One to easily view just the notes?

The product page says:

The Second Edition contains updated text and notes.

I wonder whether the full download doesn't happen until February 1st as that's the release according to the product page.

https://www.logos.com/product/189785/net-bible-full-notes-2nd-ed

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 6:24 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Mattillo:

My 2nd Edition Bible downloaded today.  Is there another version coming with just the notes? The first NET Bible in Logos had several pieces: 

Greek Text

Bible

Bible First Edition (notes)

Bible First Edition (noteless)

Will we get something similar w/ the second edition? One to easily view just the notes?

The product page says:

The Second Edition contains updated text and notes.

I wonder whether the full download doesn't happen until February 1st as that's the release according to the product page.

https://www.logos.com/product/189785/net-bible-full-notes-2nd-ed

Maybe Rick or Daniel have some thoughts? I'm hoping for just a notes version because I like to use it as a study bible and reference the notes. Following the foot notes in the NET2nd is time consuming even with power lookup because they are all garbled together. I wish there could be spaces between each entry

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 10:10 AM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

Robert M. Warren:

Paul Caneparo:
The NET Bible (2nd Edition) automatically downloaded this morning.

I also note that, while the NT RVI also downloaded, the OT RVI hasn't appeared yet.

The OT Reverse Interlinear is not ready yet, but since the NT was we included it. The OT will be forthcoming; I do not have an estimate for its delivery at present.

Mr Rick

Do you know if there will also be just a notes version because I like to use it as a study bible and reference the notes. The first NET bible had several resources like just a notes version.

Thank you

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 8:14 PM

So, I got the NET 2 today and the Greek, but not the notes or the Hebrew. I am pretty excited to have the main text, though. I have been using it more and more in my devotional time in other apps, and it is awkward not to also have it in Logos for my studies. I do have the notes of the 1st edition. I have enough to limp along if I want to prioritize the NET 2 to my second favorite Bible.

I am curious about the mention of the NET 2.1 having better Strong's integration. It was pointed out earlier that was a worthless feature in Logos, but is it worthless in general? Does it help the Bible work better in some less powerful software, for hardcopy study, and as a commentary for KJVO groups?

Posts 2071
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 4:52 AM

I think the silence from Faithlife here on the separate notes resource question, along with the statement on the product page ('contains updated text and notes') means there will be no separate notes resource. Reading with footnotes displayed is going to be too cumbersome.

I think my best alternative will be to use it in a link set with Power Lookup.

Does anyone have more creative suggestions?

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 1022
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 7:14 AM

Mattillo:
Following the foot notes in the NET2nd is time consuming even with power lookup because they are all garbled together. I wish there could be spaces between each entry

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but there seems to be plenty of space between entries on my screen - this is a screen cap from my desktop PC

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 10:28 AM

On further examination, I do have notes! I think they are the FULL notes, but I have not yet confirmed that.

On the website, I see that I purchased the NET 2 full notes, but I did not see them in my software as a separate download, as I do with the NET 1.

Posts 1842
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 11:52 AM

I think part of the problem is that the original version was also sold as a single purchase. Although looking at the product page I note the original version states:

The product will download as three separate resources for the text and the notes.

The revised version doesn't make this distinction. I was certainly expecting the notes to be a separate resource. It's a same the notes aren't separate. I'm not sure yet whether the notes have changed much though. If not I guess I can link notes from the original to the translation from the updated version.

Posts 3299
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 1:46 PM

In discussions with CS regarding this issue what I could ferret out from them is that the publisher made the decision to release the resource the way we have it. We were not charged for a separate edition for the notes which as you know is not available. This was not communicated to us thus the confusion. On a cursory review there does not appear to be much difference in the newly released notes. But, I see no advantage in linking the first edition notes with the second edition, except maybe to proof the second edition. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the clarifications! I am so happy to have this version added to my logos library! I have been counting down the days.

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 4:02 AM

David Carter:

Mattillo:
Following the foot notes in the NET2nd is time consuming even with power lookup because they are all garbled together. I wish there could be spaces between each entry

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but there seems to be plenty of space between entries on my screen - this is a screen cap from my desktop PC

It is not on my Mac. Though I have seen it worse, this is what I have.

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 4:02 AM

Here is what it looks like in a regular resource

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 5 2022 8:22 AM

Beloved Amodeo:

In discussions with CS regarding this issue what I could ferret out from them is that the publisher made the decision to release the resource the way we have it. We were not charged for a separate edition for the notes which as you know is not available. This was not communicated to us thus the confusion. On a cursory review there does not appear to be much difference in the newly released notes. But, I see no advantage in linking the first edition notes with the second edition, except maybe to proof the second edition. 

Beloved, thanks for sharing what you understand after to speaking to CS.

In regard to your last sentence, while I'm not sure about any advantage in linking the 1st and 2nd edition notes, I am wondering if/how linking them would work?  In MJ Smith's post on 2021-12-2, item 7 says "We did delete about 3300 footnotes which were deemed unnecessary and superfluous such as “δε has not been translated” or “και has not been translated due to differences in Greek and English style.”

Even if there was not a single new note in the 2nd edition, I assume dropping 3300 notes would change the note numbers assigned to at least some notes in the 2nd edition from what they were in the 1st edition.

Would linking not be affected in any way by changes in note numbers?

I'm also curious about how one would go about linking the "notes" built into the 2nd edition Bible, with the "notes" that were a separate resource for/with the 1st edition Bible. I can visualize manually comparing them by having the 2nd edition Bible in one panel and the 1st edition notes resource in a second panel, putting them in a link-set, then selecting a note from the 2nd edition Bible in a popup window so it could be compared to the note in the 1st edition notes resource.  That's doable I guess if done once in a while, but probably not very effective on a large scale.  Is there a better way?

Posts 3299
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 6 2022 4:05 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
I can visualize manually comparing them by having the 2nd edition Bible in one panel and the 1st edition notes resource in a second panel, putting them in a link-set, then selecting a note from the 2nd edition Bible in a popup window so it could be compared to the note in the 1st edition notes resource. 
Happy New Year! Rick. Your comment is just what I meant to convey. In action despite the extensive fn changes, I think one will be able to follow along nicely from one resource to the other (second ed. linked to the first ed. notes).

Rick Ausdahl:
"We did delete about 3300 footnotes which were deemed unnecessary and superfluous such as “δε has not been translated” or “και has not been translated due to differences in Greek and English style.”
I was unable to find an example of kai in the first edition to cp with the second ed. Which was evidence that the citation was dropped. All the instances I found were retained in the second ed notes. 

Edit: I can also state the same for de. Which makes me wonder what I paid for!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 6 2022 6:46 PM

Beloved Amodeo:

Rick Ausdahl:
"We did delete about 3300 footnotes which were deemed unnecessary and superfluous such as “δε has not been translated” or “και has not been translated due to differences in Greek and English style.”
I was unable to find an example of kai in the first edition to cp with the second ed. Which was evidence that the citation was dropped. All the instances I found were retained in the second ed notes. 

Edit: I can also state the same for de. Which makes me wonder what I paid for!

If that's the case, you sure have a point when it comes to the notes.  At the NET Bible web site Changes - NET Bible, they do list a lot of changes made to the Bible text itself, but a whole lot of those seem to be things as potentially unimportant as changing words that used to start with a lower case letter to start with an upper case letter.  I haven't begun to look through them all yet though, so there might be some "meatier" changes.  I thought though (I guess I should say I assummed) there was going to be more going on with changes in the notes themselves.  And... I was expecting the notes to once again be in a separate resource.  Guess I didn't research that very well. Surprise

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 6 2022 7:27 PM

Mattillo:

Robert M. Warren:

Mattillo:
ask that the NET 2 at least have its date corrected or cancelled.

Since many of us already own the 2nd Ed reverse interlinears, if they cancel the actual bible, won't that be like having sold us the transmission for an Edsel?

It is also included in several packages and feature sets so many of us have already paid for it and still not received it yet

Yes it is in Logos 9 Silver and above various Academic and bilingual packages. Maybe we will get it with Logos 10.

Posts 3299
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2022 10:22 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
I was expecting the notes to once again be in a separate resource.  Guess I didn't research that very well.
No! Rick, the fact that there is no separate notes edition was an unpleasant surprise to FL as well so we can blame two: FL for not bringing this to our attention when it became clear that there would be no separate edition and the publisher for not making this known from the git go. So, you see that no amount of research could have revealed this until the final hour. Not your fault! 

Posts 236
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2022 2:53 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
Rick, the fact that there is no separate notes edition was an unpleasant surprise to FL as well.

It was the same for TheWord Bible Software, 2nd edition was released as a single module instead of a separate one. Not sure why they chose to do this. It basically makes using the 2nd edition impossible for me since I don't particularly care for the NET translation itself, but use the notes separately with the NKJV (or any other translation I'm reading in). 

I also don't like that they removed note entries. I'm a paranoid person as it is. It just seems suspicious to me. But even if its not, I would rather have the extra notes included and I made the decision on whether or not they are relevant. 

I also don't like that Logos updates bible translations periodically without the end user knowing what was changed. I've read that the bible text is never changed in these updates but how would I know? I guess this makes printed editions all the more important so when you come across something that seems off, you have a way to compare.

I personally will not be using the NET notes 2nd edition but will stick with the 1st edition and the separate module.

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 7 2022 4:14 PM

Beloved Amodeo:

Rick Ausdahl:
I was expecting the notes to once again be in a separate resource.  Guess I didn't research that very well.
No! Rick, the fact that there is no separate notes edition was an unpleasant surprise to FL as well so we can blame two: FL for not bringing this to our attention when it became clear that there would be no separate edition and the publisher for not making this known from the git go. So, you see that no amount of research could have revealed this until the final hour. Not your fault! 

That's interesting.  I got burned on NJB, when they embedded the notes there.  Got a refund. This round (NET-2), I took a pass. NET-1 is perfectly great.

Posts 5046
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 10:56 AM

DMB:

Beloved Amodeo:

Rick Ausdahl:

That's interesting.  I got burned on NJB, when they embedded the notes there.  Got a refund. This round (NET-2), I took a pass. NET-1 is perfectly great.

Doesn't the NJB have a separate notes document? 

https://www.logos.com/product/192228/the-new-jerusalem-bible-notes 

Page 3 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS