Legacy Libraries

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Forbe Carlson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 12 2021 7:46 AM

Hi. Is it possible to use Legacy Library 8 resources within Logos 9? Or do they truly stand alone?

Thanks.

Forbe Carlson

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 7:51 AM

Forbe Carlson:
Hi. Is it possible to use Legacy Library 8 resources within Logos 9?

Absolutely

Any resources you purchase as part of a Legacy Library 8 (or 7) library will work in Logos 9

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 7:55 AM

Absolutely you can use Logos 8 resources with Logos 9.  Think of it as two things, the Logos engine and Logos resources (books, data sets, videos, etc...).  Any Logos resources should work under any engine.  When you buy those collections, you are simply buying more resources to go with whatever Engine you have.  

To use a completely inadequate analogy, think of the Engine as a book case and resources as books.  Any books you buy will fit on your existing or newer book cases.  The newer book cases just get more high tech.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 7:56 AM

Graham posted while I was thinking and typing!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5
Forbe Carlson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 7:57 AM

Thanks very much to you and Graham. God's grace to you today.

Posts 632
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 9:48 AM

Joseph Turner:
think of the Engine as a book case and resources as books.  Any books you buy will fit on your existing or newer book cases.  The newer book cases just get more high tech.

I really, really like this analogy. It isn't inadequate at all! In fact, Faithlife should use this and pay you royalties.

Posts 4
Andy Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 9:11 AM

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Could you help me understand what the drawback is, or what I would not get, by purchasing one of the legacy library collections from, say, versions 5, 6, 7? I've been using Logos 8. What does Logos mean when they say, "This library is offered without features and datasets, making it the perfect standalone collection of resources to help grow your library commentaries, theological dictionaries, and other resources"?

Thanks!

Posts 427
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 7:57 AM

Logos packages can come with program features as well as resources (books). Program features can be things like the sermon editor, factbook or other guides, tools and datasets. These legacy libraries only include resources (books) so they will get integrated into the other resources you already own and will be accessible by the program and program features and tools from whatever Logos version you already own. The bookshelf example given above is a great one.

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 8:41 AM

Logos is more than an ebook reader, but one of the things that it does is read ebooks, You can buy packages with just more books, or you can buy a combination of new books and all the newest super-duper fancy new ways to search and read and write about those books.

Posts 4
Andy Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:00 AM

Thank you. This makes sense. Because the resources in these collections are generally ebooks, the text itself would be searchable but the connections to other resources that reside in datasets would not be available. Is that the gist?

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 11:42 AM

Andy Erickson:
Because the resources in these collections are generally ebooks, the text itself would be searchable but the connections to other resources that reside in datasets would not be available. Is that the gist?

Not quite.

While they are electronic books, some of them will have tagging added by Faithlife so that they feature in certain areas of the software:

• Commentaries would show in Passage Guides
  • Lexicons would feature in Lookup operations
  • Systematic Theology resource might figure in the Theology Guide
  • If tagged appropriately, they would appear in the Factbook Tool

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 12:08 PM

Andy Erickson:
Because the resources in these collections are generally ebooks, the text itself would be searchable but the connections to other resources that reside in datasets would not be available. Is that the gist?

Not at all. The connection to other resources is part of the book, so it will work. This is not a question of datasets (most people will own the functionality that resides in datasets anyway), but of libraries, since those vary between Logos Base Package releases and many users were not around as customers or lacked the funds to buy the older base packages. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 4
Andy Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 12:16 PM

@Graham & @NB.Mick - thank you. Super helpful. I can see how these legacy libraries could be a great way to add content.

Posts 8940
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 4:03 PM

Don’t forget to check out the Verbum legacy libraries. They have a lot of stuff for real low prices!

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 6:48 PM

The older libraries were developed when the software was less fancy. I think the older libraries might be working better in Bronze. Bronze is missing some of the fancy stuff in the more expensive levels of the software. I am noticing trends about what is popping up in my search fields, and it is the ebooks listed in the oldest legacy libraries.

Posts 35585
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 7:33 PM

Important resources are constantly being updated by Faithlife. A resource that is available in an L6 base package may be updated for L9 features. Put another way, when and how you purchased a resource does not tell you what level of tagging it may have. Furthermore, the level of the base resource package you have does not define what functions you have available - the features packages and the resource packages are independent items. There is very little difference between Verbum and Logos -- primarily the differences are in HELP and links to external sites.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 4:27 PM

MJ. Smith:

Important resources are constantly being updated by Faithlife. A resource that is available in an L6 base package may be updated for L9 features. Put another way, when and how you purchased a resource does not tell you what level of tagging it may have. Furthermore, the level of the base resource package you have does not define what functions you have available - the features packages and the resource packages are independent items. There is very little difference between Verbum and Logos -- primarily the differences are in HELP and links to external sites.

A legacy library is a resource package?

A feature upgrade is a feature package?

https://www.logos.com/feature-upgrades

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 4:37 PM

A base package is a combination of a resource package and feature package?

https://www.logos.com/basepackages

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 8:54 AM

Are there any good resources in Legacy Libraries that are not available elsewhere?  Any recommendations?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS