Logos 9 needs a "restart" option on the drop down menu

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
Chris Bonts | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 12 2021 10:30 AM

Logos needs a "restart" option on the main menu. Place it right above "Quit Logos" on the drop-down menu.  If you have any feature that will not be applied until the program is restarted, then give us an option to "restart" rather than quitting, finding an icon outside of the program, and restarting it manually.  

Shouldn't be too difficult. 

Posts 2730
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 10:40 AM

Generally speaking, the changing of options that require a program restart should show a notification bar with a message to restart, where the word "Restart" is a hyperlink that will restart the application.

Are there certain settings where you are seeing that this is not the case?

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 5442
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 11:30 AM

'ere be one...

Screenshot 2021-07-12 At 19.27.39

This is my morning greeting from Logos and I find it really irritating because even if I do restart to get rid of the message I don't see anything that has changed.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2730
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 12:07 PM

Mike Binks:
This is my morning greeting from Logos and I find it really irritating because even if I do restart to get rid of the message I don't see anything that has changed.

Do you have your theme setting set to "System"? If so, this is possibly in response to automatic switching of theme by the operating system. You are correct that we don't have a link there. Thanks for the report.

Anywhere else?

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 12:16 PM

After updating resources that are in use so can’t be updated without a restart. 

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 12:41 PM

Andrew Batishko:
Generally speaking, the changing of options that require a program restart should show a notification bar with a message to restart

Have never seen this link with Mac OS

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 1:03 PM

I have never experienced this link do what it says. It shuts Logos application but never restarts it. I have to manually restart it after it closes otherwise it doesn’t open again.

Posts 3623
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 1:33 PM

Jack Caviness:

Andrew Batishko:
Generally speaking, the changing of options that require a program restart should show a notification bar with a message to restart

Have never seen this link with Mac OS

This is only for things like changing the Color Theme or UI Langauge. You also have to have the notification bar set to show up in Program Settings.

Posts 12076
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 1:44 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Generally speaking, the changing of options that require a program restart should show a notification bar with a message to restart, where the word "Restart" is a hyperlink that will restart the application.

Are there certain settings where you are seeing that this is not the case?

The uilang command doesn't give any kind of feedback at all, much less a notification with a restart button. But restarting is not that hard.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2730
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 1:54 PM

NB.Mick:
The uilang command doesn't give any kind of feedback at all, much less a notification with a restart button. But restarting is not that hard.

Do you have notifications turned off in your settings?

Posts 5551
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 2:08 PM

There's a frustrating notification that indicates that resources will be added when Verbum/Logos is restarted and has no link to actually restart.

Posts 12076
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 2:13 PM

Andrew Batishko:

NB.Mick:

Do you have notifications turned off in your settings?

No. And I get them e.g. when a new version download is occurring. Note that I'm using the command (i.e. typing it in or - much more often now - using a shortcut from the command bar in a shortcut folder).

For clarification: The notification will come up and have an active restart "button" (rather a link-type word, the blue versus black color not very visible in light mode) when changing the UI language not through the command but through the settings. 

Posts 2730
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 2:17 PM

NB.Mick:
For clarification: The notification will come up and have an active restart "button" (rather a link-type word, the blue versus black color not very visible in light mode) when changing the UI language not through the command but through the settings. 

Ah, I think the command may have recently been fixed. This might be available in the next beta cycle.

Posts 12076
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 2:21 PM

Andrew Batishko:
I think the command may have recently been fixed. This might be available in the next beta cycle.

Thanks, great to hear! Looking forward to it.

Posts 1145
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 2:42 PM

SineNomine:

There's a frustrating notification that indicates that resources will be added when Verbum/Logos is restarted and has no link to actually restart.

Yes

Posts 3623
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 12 2021 2:50 PM

DIsciple II:

I have never experienced this link do what it says. It shuts Logos application but never restarts it. I have to manually restart it after it closes otherwise it doesn’t open again.

Can we get logs? If the is link says to restart then it should.

Posts 27
Daniel Wurzberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2021 12:16 PM

My biggest one would be when Logos get's stuck compiling a PB....can't remove resource message and similar, which usually gets resolvevd by restarting the programm.

A workaround I have found is to switch theme light/dark and then Logos will offer a restart msg on top. Tho...one would think switching themes shouldn't require app restart. Seems like quite a common feature on phones for the last couple of years..with no restart needed.

Posts 5846
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2021 4:22 PM

I’ll try to remember to capture them next time this comes up Philana. It’s one of those things that for me personally I live with it, but if it’s supposed to work it would be good for it to do so.

Philana R. Crouch:

DIsciple II:

Can we get logs? If the is link says to restart then it should.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS