Reverse Bible Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Jonathan Eric Lewis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 31 2021 10:31 AM

Years ago I read about a new/upcoming commentary series that would look at the usage of Scripture verses/passages in the wide world literature throughout history. It would be a reverse commentary of sorts looking at a given passage not for its own historical/textual/grammatical context , but for the way the passage was subsequently used by others. I’m very interested at looking into adding it or similar resources to my library, but I don’t remember what it was called.

Posts 430
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2021 10:57 AM

ACC is what I use. But maybe you're looking for more recent comments:

https://www.logos.com/search?query=acc&ssi=0&sortBy=Relevance&limit=30&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all 

Posts 39
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2021 11:24 AM

Perhaps you’re thinking of the Smith & Helwys Bible Commentary Series that employs images of fine art, selections from modern literature, photographs and drawings to convey the diverse applications of the text

https://www.logos.com/product/197353/smyth-and-helwys-bible-commentary-shbc

Posts 943
Posts 33234
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 1 2021 4:01 PM

sounds to me like you are looking for a reception history commentary - the best I know is not available in Logos Reception History | Blackwell Bible Commentaries (bbibcomm.info) and I've grown tired of suggesting it only to get no reaction. However, Logos does carry The Church's Bible | CB (6 vols.) | Logos Bible Software which is similar and may be what you are thinking of.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10
Jonathan Eric Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 1 2021 5:28 PM

MJ. Smith:
sounds to me like you are looking for a reception history commentary - the best I know is not available in Logos Reception History | Blackwell Bible Commentaries (bbibcomm.info) and I've grown tired of suggesting it only to get no reaction. However, Logos does carry The Church's Bible | CB (6 vols.) | Logos Bible Software which is similar and may be what you are thinking of.

Yes, I do believe this is the very thing! The series title, “ Blackwell Bible Commentaries” sounds like what I remember.  Thank you so much for this information! And thank you also for the category name—“reception history”. It would be nice if the Logos team would add such a potentially useful resource.

I’d like to also thank every one else who participated in this discussion!

In Christ,

J. Eric Lewis

Posts 10
Jonathan Eric Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 1 2021 5:30 PM

Rob:

Perhaps you’re thinking of the Smith & Helwys Bible Commentary Series that employs images of fine art, selections from modern literature, photographs and drawings to convey the diverse applications of the text

https://www.logos.com/product/197353/smyth-and-helwys-bible-commentary-shbc

This does sound useful and quite similar to what I’m looking for!  Thank you, as I’ll have to look into it!

in Christ,

J. Eric Lewis

Posts 33234
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 1 2021 6:41 PM

One can vote for the Blackwell series at Through the Centuries Commentary series | Faithlife

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS