Anyone running Logos on a budget Windows All in One with a large touchscreen or regular widescreen?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 3 2021 9:18 AM

I am curious if you run Logos on a large windows budget all in one?  How is it?  What do you recommend?

HP Envy maybe?  Then again it exceeds $1K, ouch? I would love to sit and study Logos on a largescreen but it is cost prohibitive?

I have decided not to go ipad route and my Surface Pro 3 is so old and slow now and screen has a ton of glare and is way to small.

Recommendations?

Posts 105
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 5:59 PM

In the past, I ran Logos on an HP Envy. My machine had a powerful graphics card and the graphics drivers were often messed up after certain updates and the machine overheated when just idling.

I am losing my vision and the machine was purchased for me by a training agency. A gaming computer is not the best fit for the blind, even if the screen size is large and the hardware is capable of processing data quickly.

I am using a cheap Beelink mini PC hooked up to a very large monitor, but with no home wifi except when the library loans me a cellular wifi hotspot for a couple weeks at a time, this is not a good longterm solution. I need a machine that I can carry to a hotspot, or a 5G machine that I can buy a cellular data plan.

I am interested in what people post in this thread.

Verbum 9 Fundamentals, Preaching Suite Essentials, Asst Legacy Libraries, Britannica Great Books, Harvard Classics

Posts 16
Yeo Syah Zuan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 8:24 PM

Do note that touchscreen always have glare (even those which claim to be anti-glare, though sometimes you can minimize the glare by not facing it to a light source). If you want to avoid glare, it is best to consider a non-touch monitor.

Other than all-in-ones, you can also consider monitor that allows CPU to mount at the back (google it). It is almost equally space-saving, and could be cheaper and easier for service.

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 9:52 PM

You might get a desktop and screen combo from Dell or Dell Outlet for maybe $800. Refurbs will save you money. Spend a little more so it doesn't crimp your work. You won't regret it because you can get maybe five years or more out of it so it will be pennies a day investment.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1678
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2021 11:03 PM

I bought an Acer Spin 5 13,3" - all in one laptop with Win 10 - in Finland in 2017 .

It has a 13.3 inch touchscreen: (1920 x 1080) multi-touch. It was 1200 euros but similar ones are probably around 800 nowadays. I am generally happy with it.

I've been considering to use a large second screen with it, shoving the same view screen in a larger scale while using the touch screen for scrolling and highlighting. I thought it could work well, but haven't implemented it yet.

Well, I found that "all-in-one" may have different meanings. In that ACER laptop it means that the user can use it like a normal laptop or use it as a tablet ...

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2021 9:42 AM

I wanted and hoped for a powerful detachable tablet with optional keyboard setup.  Then I thought of just a large tall widescreen all in one.

I was dreaming.  Back to reality.

Posts 5467
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2021 2:43 AM

Kathleen Marie:
I am losing my vision and the machine was purchased for me by a training agency.

Hi Kathleen

If you have an Apple Store within striking distance you might do well to call in and ask them about their 'accessibility features'. I do know some folk with very serious vision problems that have been helped by these facilities.

You do need to be guided by somebody who actually understands  how to apply them to your particular situation.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS