Notes Tool - Background Colors - Changed

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1993
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 7:53 AM

Chuck:

Great news! Thanks! Any idea how long it will take 9.7 RC 1 to flow into a regular production update? Thanks again!

Probably by next week...

Posts 114
Chuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 7:54 AM

Levi Durfey:

Chuck:

Great news! Thanks! Any idea how long it will take 9.7 RC 1 to flow into a regular production update? Thanks again!

Probably by next week...

OK, thanks much!

Posts 496
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 4:32 PM

Hi, Chuck, 

First, I'm sorry about this experience. As you can see, this will be fixed in 9.7, which will be out next week.

What happened: We made this change as part of a larger effort to consolidate color palettes across our apps, including making resource highlights more readable in Dark Mode in 9.7. However, it was an accident that this went out in a "stable" update for everyone, and we hadn't yet carefully considered how it would affect users with the older colors. 

What we're doing now: We this change has been reverted in 9.7, which as I mentioned is planned to ship Aug 17.  

What we'll do in the future: We do still want to make our colors more consistent. My impression of your feedback is not so much "I like the old yellow better." It's more "I want all my yellow backgrounds to look the same." Is that accurate? 

Here are some ideas of how we might solve this: 

1. Swap out the old colors for the new, but add a "Custom" colors option that retains colors you've used in the past.
  2. Map the old colors to new ones. For example, "Yellow #2" used to have a slightly greenish tint, and now has a warmer tone. Your note text with that background automatically gets the new, warmer yellow.
  3. Expand the palette. Rather than swap out the old colors for new ones, just add more. 

Do you have an opinion on the best way forward? Looking forward to hearing from you and everyone.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 134
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2021 11:16 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

1. Swap out the old colors for the new, but add a "Custom" colors option that retains colors you've used in the past.
  2. Map the old colors to new ones. For example, "Yellow #2" used to have a slightly greenish tint, and now has a warmer tone. Your note text with that background automatically gets the new, warmer yellow.
  3. Expand the palette. Rather than swap out the old colors for new ones, just add more. 

Do you have an opinion on the best way forward? Looking forward to hearing from you and everyone.

My preferences from your list would be in order; 3,1,2.

I know you aren't asking about icons, but I would really, really, really like to have a greater selection or the ability to import my own. Has there been any discussion about this?

Smile

Posts 36344
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2021 2:28 PM

Bill:
but I would really, really, really like to have a greater selection or the ability to import my own.

Just an FYI as a sidebar. You know that when you customize a palette you can import your own icons? Doesn't help in notes but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 134
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2021 2:10 PM

MJ. Smith:
You know that when you customize a palette you can import your own icons?

Thanks MJ for trying to help. Yes I knew, but as you point out, it doesn't help in notes.

My request has to do with having icons in the notes tool that are more descriptive to help identify the type of note, both in the notes tool and in the resource where is appears, also very important for me is these icons provide a preview of the note and a live link from the resource (especially a Bible), back to the note when clicked. Highlights and highlight icons do not, if they did that might be a solution.

I did make a suggestion for this also; https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/more-icons-in-the-icon-library and I see you voted, thank you.

Posts 496
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2021 7:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill. It looks like it already has some traction. Smile

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 114
Chuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2021 3:58 PM

Hi, Chuck, 

First, I'm sorry about this experience. As you can see, this will be fixed in 9.7, which will be out next week.

What happened: We made this change as part of a larger effort to consolidate color palettes across our apps, including making resource highlights more readable in Dark Mode in 9.7. However, it was an accident that this went out in a "stable" update for everyone, and we hadn't yet carefully considered how it would affect users with the older colors. 

What we're doing now: We this change has been reverted in 9.7, which as I mentioned is planned to ship Aug 17.  

What we'll do in the future: We do still want to make our colors more consistent. My impression of your feedback is not so much "I like the old yellow better." It's more "I want all my yellow backgrounds to look the same." Is that accurate? 

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for addressing this issue.

Your statement is correct that "I want all my yellow backgrounds to look the same." It is distracting to open a note where the highlighting shade for the "same" color varies. For example, reviewing a note months or years later that has different shades of highlighting might make me think, "Ok, what was my purpose for setting this or that text off in a different shade of highlighting than the other highlighted text.

Going forward, I think I would opt for number 3 in your list of ideas for how to resolve this: 

I also think it would be optimal to facilitate the user with the option to mass-update one color for another color. For example, if another color of yellow becomes available in the palette that I like better than the shade of yellow I've been using, the ability to mass-update from one color to the other would be ideal. This method would also retain consistency because all occurrences of the specified color are updated.

Thanks Again,

Chuck

Posts 5997
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2021 12:49 AM

Expand the palette. Rather than swap out the old colors for new ones, just add more. 

Why not stop having a palette at all and simply rely on the system colour picker.

Screenshot 2021-08-21 At 08.45.13

Your friends at Proclaim might be able to give you some tips. ;-)

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS