What is Logos greatest feature?

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2021 11:43 PM

Hamilton Ramos:

Kathleen, if I understand well, there are many logistical problems, more so than technical ones.

Hope you can find a way to gain access to more features and resources, maybe some others can give suggestions as what can be done for a case like the one Kathleen has.

There are no quick fixes for Christian students/people that are left behind. The problem is so much larger than anything that Faithlife can do alone. Member of the church are business people and hold copyrights. The church overlaps with the world.

I am not complaining. God has blessed me so much more than he has others. I do not understand the large picture. I do not try. I just try and do what is placed before me to do with the tools provided and I rest that the Father does understand the big picture.

I am content. I am at peace. I am nothing but grateful for what I have.

Posts 594
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 4:08 AM

I'm with JT - Logos is now a massive Factbook for me.

Posts 1006
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 4:49 AM

being able to search books you do not own in order to consider buying them. 

Posts 389
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 4:14 PM

For me, it would be milestone searches and the depth of tagging (things like tagging pronoun antecedents and LN domains). A strong third would be the Ancient Literature section of the Passage Guide. Three tools I use all the time and that are unique to Logos.

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 7:33 PM

Hi Kathleen:

Since I do not have the particulars of your contextual situation, I probably cannot even imagine the situation.

All I am trying to say, is that many times there are ways to change things around. Maybe a little organization, people get together, start doing something, try to get resources pooled, enlist the help of human angels that are willing to help, etc.

Is great to be grateful for what God has given, but sometimes God gives pious dreams to different people in an area, and once the right persons get together, they can start changing things around for the better with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and God's help.

Do you know if there is a community chaplain somewhere in the areas you move about? Maybe that person can be shown the benefits of Logos Bible Software, and is able to facilitate the organization of initiatives that can allow remote library system to be set up, etc.

Do not ever underestimate self-organization, when done properly, God seems to bring in the right person to help develop pious initiatives.

Peace and grace.

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 6:39 PM

I upgraded to Verbum 9 Fundamentals. I love the lectionary and cited by features!

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 7:13 PM

Hi Kathleen:

Kathleen Marie:
upgraded to Verbum 9 Fundamentals

If you can, check the following resource, that is very interesting:

https://www.logos.com/product/37717/catholic-topical-index

I wish there was a similar resource for other traditions.

Peace and grace.

Posts 3320
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 7:54 PM

Though one may not qualify this as a feature, but the extensive resource catalogue can be counted as one of FL's greatest assets. Also, I am quite fond of the Clippings feature which is like having a souped up note card system at your disposal. As others have mentioned the search feature, though it can sometimes be daunting to utilize, is a BIG plus.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 8:56 PM

Hi Beloved:

Do you know if clippings can be used like the cards in the old windows program "Bible Illustrator"?

Thanks ahead of time for your input on this.

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 9:11 PM

Hamilton Ramos:

Hi Kathleen:

Kathleen Marie:
upgraded to Verbum 9 Fundamentals

If you can, check the following resource, that is very interesting:

https://www.logos.com/product/37717/catholic-topical-index

I wish there was a similar resource for other traditions.

Peace and grace.

I used that while doing the tutorial. I did not know that was not in logos. Because I had so few features in logos, as I am going through the tutorials, I do not know what is just new to me, compared to what is new in Verbum.

Posts 3320
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 10:21 PM

Hamilton Ramos:
Do you know if clippings can be used like the cards in the old windows program "Bible Illustrator"?
I'm not familiar with the referenced Windows program, but looking at your screenshot, I would say yes.

Clippings is incredibly versatile: you can select any text and have it organized under your chosen title or heading, you can rearrange the clippings within the single document you can write notes on the individual clippings you have made, you can tag and call up the tag by doing a Basic Search and find those tags under the documents section of your search; there's so much more I could tell you, but I think you get the idea. Clipping is a robust and easy to use Logos feature. 

If there is something specific you'd like to know feel free to hit me back up and I'd be happy to answer any question I am able.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 35597
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 11:00 PM

The range of users in terms of theology, computer-savy, Logos experience, interests . . . because it is the users that push features that I use (and that I don't) and resources that I love or hate.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 36
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 11:02 PM

Greatest feature? FSD.

But seriously, portability. Being able to move a giant library from desktop to tablet to phone is just fantastic.

Posts 2682
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 8:32 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

Hi Beloved:

Thanks ahead of time for your input on this.

As a user of both programs (I had subscriptions to both CTT and ILLY from InfoSearch when they mailed floppies), "The Clipping tool cites the source (with a link), the section of the resource, the date created and ANY tags or notes you wish to notate. Then Doing a Basic Search on "Your Documents" will recall whatever you are looking for, where the now defunct Bible Illustrator program (originally one of the 2 databases for InfoSearch, later purchased by Parsons, then Intuit) only allowed the user to search within pre-defined fields. Logos Clippings Tool is much more flexible."

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 2:51 PM
Beloved Amodeo:
If there is something specific you'd like to know feel free to
Thanks Beloved, David Thomas clarified the search process for clippings.
Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 1:33 PM

Beloved:

I found the following:

https://wordwisebiblestudies.com/best-bible-study-tool-making-bible-study-count/

could that system be adapted to clippings?

Posts 3320
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 4:04 PM

Hamilton Ramos:

Beloved:

I found the following:

https://wordwisebiblestudies.com/best-bible-study-tool-making-bible-study-count/

could that system be adapted to clippings?

The digital solution for this system has been addressed by Logos and the power of Notes is in my view the answer. Clippings works well if you're collecting material for a Bible study, sermon or researching a topic.

But, as for devotions or organizing your reflections on the Bible; Notes excels. Upon reading through your link I was led to attempt to add media, namely a map, from Logos to a note. I was frustrated to find that this is not an intuitive process. If anyone knows how to add media to a note it would be greatly appreciated if you would share how it is done.  

Edit: Never mind I've somewhat figured it out. I still don't know how to utilize Link and URL. URL is for the internet. Still trying to grasp Link. It has something to do with establishing a hyperlink. I'm not sure where this will appear.

Posts 3320
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 10:19 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
Still trying to grasp Link.

This is discussed here:  

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/173858/1003742.aspx#1003742 

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS