Logos 10 Speculation

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 778
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 12 2021 6:56 AM

We are a little more than a year away from Logos 10, if past patterns continue. That would put us at October 2022

This is total speculation, but I wonder if a complete GUI change will come. It has not changed tremendously since Logos 4 and they MIGHT want to do something different for version 10 - a bit of a milestone.

Besides that, what improvements or additions would you like to see?

Let the speculation begin...

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 1371
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2021 7:39 AM

I’m still curious about if this will be accurate: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/195361/1129319.aspx#1129319

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 3230
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2021 7:45 AM

As usually does Faithlife will ask Suggestions.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2021 9:18 PM

Jerry Bush:
but I wonder if a complete GUI change will come. It has not changed tremendously since Logos 4

Logos 8 was a major UI update/refresh in case you missed itSmile

The Toolbar Store icon in Logos 9 was a bold attempt to alter the UIBig Smile  - that was enough for me.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 778
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 6:39 AM

I did not consider it a major update.

Dave Hooton:

Jerry Bush:
but I wonder if a complete GUI change will come. It has not changed tremendously since Logos 4

The Toolbar Store icon in Logos 9 was a bold attempt to alter the UIBig Smile  - that was enough for me.

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 7:13 AM

Jerry Bush:

Dave Hooton:

Jerry Bush:

Major for me. I'm not leaving L7 until they stop being so cutsie. And maybe 'finally' do a professional search interface.  They're like mice, chewing around the edges.

Posts 50
Ken Thompsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 8:01 AM

Jerry Bush:

We are a little more than a year away from Logos 10, if past patterns continue. That would put us at October 2022

This is total speculation, but I wonder if a complete GUI change will come. It has not changed tremendously since Logos 4 and they MIGHT want to do something different for version 10 - a bit of a milestone.

Let the speculation begin...

Entirely new native platform for Mac rather than .NET (worse yet, .NET on top of Mono). But I know it isn't happening.

Not that one even has to entirely ditch .NET though. I believe Olive Tree utilizes a bit of it, but it still behaves and looks like a native app for the most part (and a thing of that beauty it is... It's such a pleasure to use, even if sparse in content compared to Logos. It looks no different than Apple Music or Apple Books).

Posts 288
Fabian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 10:37 AM

Ken Thompsen:

Entirely new native platform for Mac rather than .NET (worse yet, .NET on top of Mono). But I know it isn't happening.

Not that one even has to entirely ditch .NET though. I believe Olive Tree utilizes a bit of it, but it still behaves and looks like a native app for the most part (and a thing of that beauty it is... It's such a pleasure to use, even if sparse in content compared to Logos. It looks no different than Apple Music or Apple Books).

Thats why I'm happy with Apple to switch to their own silicone, so the developers must overhaul their old codes.

Posts 8928
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 3:33 PM

I’m still hopeful on this: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/186839.aspx 

DAL

Posts 1371
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 8:24 PM

Fabian:

Thats why I'm happy with Apple to switch to their own silicone, so the developers must overhaul their old codes.

Unless they decide to go the “Windows only” instead 😉

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 8:42 PM

They need to stay with the GUI. Tweaks are fine, but I have a decade of habit patterns invested in this puppy that let me negotiate to things with my mind on God and not on things of digital earth.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 323
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2021 9:59 PM

I would like to see in Logos 10 the notes UI cleaned up and made into something akin to the modern note taking apps like Craft, Notion or Roam Research.

Posts 540
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2021 5:44 PM

Jerry Bush:

I would like to see a dedicated small status area at the bottom of a section/pane. The problem is that when the cursor happens to be over some Bible text, the details of the word the mouse is hovering over are shown at the bottom of the section/pane, obscuring the Bible text below it. If I am reading the passage, I am constantly having to find some blank area of the screen with no text, and move the mouse over the area where there are no words, simply to be able to read the bottom line of the Bible text. That is a constant irritation. It would be good to use the area at the bottom and dedicate it to the hover information, so that when the page down button is pressed the line of Bible text that would currently be under the hover information would be seen at the top of the next page. That would be a very welcome little change.

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2021 6:09 PM

MWW:
I would like to see in Logos 10 the notes UI cleaned up

Especially as FL are thinking to amalgamate Clippings and Notes, because my Clippings notes are very different to Notes notes.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2021 9:58 AM

Jerry Bush:
I wonder if a complete GUI change will come

This would be a lot of work. 

My hope is that the GUI inconsistencies will be fixed:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/197602.aspx 

Posts 26
Randy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 2:27 PM

DMB:

Jerry Bush:

Dave Hooton:

Jerry Bush:

What kind of search interface are you looking for? How would it differ?

Major for me. I'm not leaving L7 until they stop being so cutsie. And maybe 'finally' do a professional search interface.  They're like mice, chewing around the edges.

Posts 30476
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 3:24 PM

Randy - When you quote someone, you need to type your response after all of the brackets. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 6:27 PM

Randy:

DMB:

What kind of search interface are you looking for? How would it differ?

It merits stepping back and looking at the product:

- Is it for a 'user', or a 'customer', or a 'pastor'? I would argue FL is still in the 'user' world ... and training a generation of pastors to think technical, vs shepherding-thinking.  For Logos, success is good software users. 

- Development-wise, Logos isn't much further along from 2008 and Libronix. Spent a lot of time tagging. Some basic tools to pull the tagging. It's an expensive list-maker.

- Most of their user-improvement could have been coded in a couple days, 15 years ago. Search syntax examples, and templates. The Bible Browser is good, but a Bible Lists book might be easier to use.

- The actual search syntax is quite sophisticated ... and a very small customer group that can use it with sufficient frequency. What about the rest?

- The search results routines are really unfortunate. I would place that area at about 1995 (old Excel). 

As in my above note,  2008 to 2020, not much, except the tagging. Mice munching at the edges.

Posts 3
Alex Hassegawa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 20 2022 6:59 AM

I would like to see fast loading and downloading books like accordance. Logos is really a great Bible Software, but still slow to open and takes hours to download books. They could improve to fast loading and downloading.

Posts 8928
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 20 2022 7:17 AM

I’m still waiting for this: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/186839.aspx 

While L9 added a few things to the sermon editor, it’s still a raw editor when it comes to real “editor” capabilities. So maybe L10 will bring some of the features others (and myself included) have been requesting for years 👍😁👌 

DAL

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS