New Testament First Nations Version

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1263
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2021 2:48 PM

So, if I understand this correctly, it’s not so much something that the First Nation DOES use but something that the author sees as expressing how the First Nation could approach it? Or have I missed the point?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 183
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2021 3:49 PM

David Wanat:

So, if I understand this correctly, it’s not so much something that the First Nation DOES use but something that the author sees as expressing how the First Nation could approach it? Or have I missed the point?

I'm not certain that I understand your question, David, but I hope its responsive to it to say that the First Nations version seeks to translate the New Testament in a way that resonates and connects with Native American communities. As the CT article quotes the director of an organization called Native Intervarsity, the version shortens the time needed to make such connections by reducing the need for readers to "sort through the ways other cultures talk about faith and spirituality." "It’s one less barrier between Native people and being able to follow Jesus," the director says.

This translation and its intentions thematically remind me of Paul's declaration to the Corinthians, that his objective is to "try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some" (1 Cor 9.22, NLT). The First Nations version seeks to quicken the discovery of common ground for Native populations through imagery informed by and conversant with the cultures in which they are rooted.

Posts 33400
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2021 4:33 PM

DAL:
what bothered my friend and the family I know: “Native Christians: Indigenous Bible Version Is ‘Made By Us For Us’”

Hmm, that quote seems to me to apply equally well to the Vulgate, the King James Version, the Luther Bible . Of course, they had the advantage of being part of the same stream of intellectual history and the same linguistic family (Indo-European).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5857
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2021 12:00 AM

But your sample size is only one family so you cannot conclude much from it about how other indigenous people will find the ‘translation’.

DAL:

Bruce Roth:
Yes, the title in the article is what bothered my friend and the family I know: “Native Christians: Indigenous Bible Version Is ‘Made By Us For Us’”

DAL

Posts 8391
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2021 4:13 AM

DIsciple II:

But your sample size is only one family so you cannot conclude much from it about how other indigenous people will find the ‘translation’.

DAL:

Bruce Roth:
Yes, the title in the article is what bothered my friend and the family I know: “Native Christians: Indigenous Bible Version Is ‘Made By Us For Us’”

DAL

It doesn’t matter, this is not a translation, is a “retelling“ nothing more.  Natives and everyone in this world understand what bread or “Food” is, there’s no need to add buffaloes, salmon, squash, etc. That’s adding to the Word and according to the Word it is a sin.  But since this is a retelling Made by them and For them then this is not even the Word of God is just a man made book retelling the story of the Bible in whatever ways they thought was cool for them, even if not all natives are on board with it.

Anyway, I’m done with this thread. I have a lot to get done this week and little time to do it.

DAL

Posts 1263
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2021 8:04 AM

Bill Coley:

David Wanat:

I'm not certain that I understand your question, David, but I hope its responsive to it to say that the First Nations version seeks to translate the New Testament in a way that resonates and connects with Native American communities. As the CT article quotes the director of an organization called Native Intervarsity, the version shortens the time needed to make such connections by reducing the need for readers to "sort through the ways other cultures talk about faith and spirituality." "It’s one less barrier between Native people and being able to follow Jesus," the director says.

This translation and its intentions thematically remind me of Paul's declaration to the Corinthians, that his objective is to "try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some" (1 Cor 9.22, NLT). The First Nations version seeks to quicken the discovery of common ground for Native populations through imagery informed by and conversant with the cultures in which they are rooted.

Well, perhaps it’s just the Catholic assumptions in me, but I was thinking along the lines of “officially approved” vs. “personal project” concepts in asking  about the purpose. Your answer shows there’s probably more to it than my consideration, so thanks for the insights.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS