Need help finding a reference about Plutarch

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 213
Edil | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 30 2021 5:50 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a translation and I need help finding a reference about Plutarch mentioned by he author of the book that I'm working with. I don't know if it is talking about Plutarch the philosopher or a theater work maybe (please be kind to me):

Many will confeſs leſſer fins, and yet
conceal greater; like the Patient in Plutarch,
that complained to his Phyſician of his finger
when his Liver was rotten.

The "Patient in Plutarch"... I made a library search in the perseus collection but wasn't able to find something. I have read of others that said that they have more that 400 books pointing to Plutarch in the perseus collection but Logos tells me that I only have 194 resources with Plutarch as the author.

By the way I ask here because I don't know where else to go. Do you know of any other forum where I can ask this kind of questions. I tried to get in to the Puritan Board Forum but my application was rejected... yikes!

Posts 592
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2021 8:00 PM

Edil, not sure if this helps, but looks like it is a reference that Plutarch made about a certain physician and his patient here;

"As Philotimus the physician, visiting a patient of his who was troubled with an inflammation in his liver, but showed him his forefinger, told him: Sir, your distemper is not a whitlow."

Plutarch, Plutarch’s Morals., ed. Goodwin, vol. 2 (Medford, MA: Little, Brown, and Company, 1874), 153.

In my library, it shows up as a Perseus title as "Quomodo adulator ab amico internoscatur (English)"

Again, not sure if I helped you are not.

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2021 8:07 PM

I agree with David, just googling it.

But I was impressed that Plutarch showed up similarly in Thayer's ὑπομονή.

Posts 213
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2021 8:59 PM

Wow!

Thank you very much. I found the resource in Logos but just because you point me in the right direction. I would had never find it by my own. Actually I have it listed twice. Please you have to tell me now how you did it. When you have the resource open is easy to do a "find" for any of the words... finger, liver, patient... within the book but I tried the library search  and was not able to find it.

Posts 25765
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2021 11:03 PM

You can choose to search all resources in your library tagged with Plutarch as the author- use author:plutarch and then select the number of matching resources

Then search for two relevant words that appear relatively near to each other - you can adjust the separation as required

Posts 1001
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 4:54 AM

I have trouble with search.... here's what my screen looks like when I try to search for plutarch.

It shows all texts instead of all passages... does that make a difference?  I need to spend a day and actually study search through I guess.... 

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 1001
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 4:57 AM

I have yet to come to understand the search in Logos... here's a pic of what I get... Instead of all passages,,,  I get all texts...  probably not the same???

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 213
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 5:04 AM

xnman I'm with you. What Graham says is exactly what I did but just using one of the words, this is what I got:

And then only one resource was listed

Posts 12480
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 5:27 AM

Edil:

And then only one resource was listed

In this selection, where Amatorius is selected as default, you need to click on the row above that says "364 resources with author:plutarch", then it will work as Graham showed.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 213
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 5:43 AM

Thank you, there we go...

By the way I like the english style in the second resource better. This has all been very good and I feel better because my question, at the end, was related to Logos. Now I have to translate that portion for the book that I'm working with.

Thanks

Posts 25765
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 7:11 AM

xnman:
I have yet to come to understand the search in Logos... here's a pic of what I get... Instead of all passages,,,  I get all texts...  probably not the same???

You have selected All Documents - which are docs you have created such as Clippings, Notes, etc.

As they don't have Passage indices, you just get the text option.

Posts 1001
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 8:19 AM

Thanks. One of these days.... I hope I'll be able to say.... "I know something..."  lol

Posts 213
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 1:43 PM

Sorry but I have to ask one more question. Look what happens when I paste the text copied from the book:

"The physician Philotimus, on an occasion, when a man with an ulcerated liver showed him his finger with a whitlow on it, said, ‘My friend, you need not concern yourself about a sore finger."

Plutarch. (1927). Moralia. (F. C. Babbitt, Ed.) (Vol. 1, p. 387). Medford, MA: Harvard University Press.

The name of the book is [Quomodo Adulator Ab Amico Internoscatur] but Logos says that the reference is [Moralia]. What's the correct source? What I'm missing?

Posts 25765
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 2:03 PM

Edil:
The name of the book is [Quomodo Adulator Ab Amico Internoscatur] but Logos says that the reference is [Moralia]. What's the correct source? What I'm missing?

Unfortunately it looks as though this is how the information was provided from Perseus (the supplier of these resources) - as per https://community.logos.com/forums/t/39182.aspx 

Posts 213
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2021 2:46 PM

Ok I understand but, is correct for me to say that the author is citing Plutarch's work Quamodo Adulator..., instead of Moralia?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS