RAM vs Display Resolution?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
Ben Carr | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 4 2021 5:46 AM

I am buying a new computer. Logos website recommends 2560 x 1440 resolution display and 16 GB of RAM (says more helpful when running multiple apps).

Will a display resolution of 1920 x 1200 be a bad idea for Logos?

Basically, I have two options: 

Option 1: laptop with 16 GB RAM and 3840 x 2400 Display res.

Option 2: laptop with 32 GB RAM and 1920 x 1200 Display res. 

Which feature should I prioritize? I often use many apps at same time, so more RAM would be helpful, but I am unsure how important the display resolution is?

Posts 1506
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2021 6:30 AM

YesDisplayYes

HD vs 4k display is a huge difference for readings. Spare your eyes. I switch my desktop monitor to a true 4k and what a difference. I coudn't read and study before by using my desktop computer. My eyes were fatigued, but now they are resting when I read something. 

PS: There are some screens that are claiming to be 4k, but they are not true 4k. Real 4k should have second number .... x 2160 or more. ....x1440 is NOT 4k. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 998
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2021 7:25 AM

mine is 1920 by 1080 which is fine with me. 

My only thought is to make sure it has a ssd. Many new computers do. this makes all the difference. 

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2021 8:29 AM

You haven't told us the size of your display. Readability is a function of pixels per square inch/mm. I have a 24 inch monitor on my desktop and only 1920x1080 display res, and at the distance I view it, it is fine for reading. I have a 17 inch laptop with a 4k screen and it is fine (should be!) for reading. I think anything 15 inches or less you'd be fine with 1920x1200.

That said, the bigger the screen the more you'll like it for Logos. You probably know that already.

I have 16 GB of RAM and sometimes run a couple of Adobe Creative Cloud programs simultaneously. Never noticed a RAM shortage. I've watched the resource monitor when running Logos while still having a number of other programs running and rarely see my usage go above 12 GB. Google Chrome is my big RAM user so if I needed more RAM I could close Chrome. Logos only uses a lot of RAM when it is indexing. 

A 512 GB SSD would be the minimum you should settle for.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1712
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2021 4:38 PM

Ben Carr:
Will a display resolution of 1920 x 1200 be a bad idea for Logos?

Not at all. I use a 17" laptop with 1920 x 1080 display. A bit more vertically would be perfect (a bit more text on screen at once). 4k in a laptop screen is unnecessary resolution, and can cause issues with some older programs (not Logos).

I have 32 GB RAM, but have noticed that the computer rarely uses more than 16 GB, even with lots of things open. (The exception is probably MS Flight Sim.)

Posts 500
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2021 1:03 PM

When I buy computers or computer screens....  I try to buy the most up to date leading edge thing I can buy. Why?  Simply that with the progression of programs, programming etc.  That pretty soon and  for a while... they will work fine on the computer or screen that I bought. 

I don't like buying a computer or computer components every year or so just to get newer programs to work. 

IMHO....  

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 923
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2021 8:27 PM

We need to know the size screen is on the laptop you are considering. A lot of people like 4K displays, or even QHD like what appears to be the Logos specification you are citing, but on a laptop 1900x1200 would be great. 4K or QHD won't get you that much more room on a laptop, and it will markedly decrease battery life. More RAM and a good sized SSD would be bigger priorities, I would think.

Posts 2466
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2021 8:05 AM

Ben Carr:
I am unsure how important the display resolution is?

for a laptop, go for the extra Ram. an external monitor is the best way to get more pixels if needed.

My display resolution is 2736x1824 on my Surface Pro 7, but windows recommends scaling to 200% because everything is SO SMALL if I use native resolution. However when I plug in my external 27' 4K monitor I get plenty of Logos real estate!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS