suggestion - need another way of tagging books

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1120
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 5 2021 9:55 PM

I'm doing a long term research project on various passages in the Bible.  So I'm using the passage guide for the same passages a lot.  I have hundreds of commentaries and other resources.  

I need some way of marking the resources in my guide, like a check to say, OK, I used that and don't need to go back, or some way to say, go back here again, 

or maybe you could have 3-5 stars next to each title, and we can make up our own guide to what they mean.

Maybe 1 star - useless

2 stars.  read it, no need to go back

3 stars - good

4 stars - important

Oh, if you respond in a way that I need to get back to you, know that I don't get notifications of that, and nobody knows why.  So I don't always keep checking for them.  thank you and sorry

Posts 25198
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2021 10:44 PM

Hi Larry - I see you asked a similar question back in Jan 2020

Does Levi's answer there - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/187018/1104594.aspx#1104594 - help with what you are trying to do?

More generally, there used to be such a feature in the Passage Guide to "rate" commentaries but this is no longer there. I never used the feature so don't recall the details but think that when it was removed some alternative approaches to achieve this goal were suggested.

Hopefully someone else will be able to comment further

Posts 2837
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2021 5:25 AM

So lets see if I understand.

At start of study set all resources to rating of 0  

Run search and set all hits to 5 – meaning need to review

As I start to review hits (5) decide if the resource is:

Miss hit (search should not have reported this one) – set to 0

Useless – set to 1 (a legitimate hit but I can not use)

Good  - set to 3

Very important – set to 4

On the next round will set the used ones (does not need further review) – set to 2

[Additional searches would mark any at 0 (not found in prior search) to 5 (need review) and will need to review any new hits that are already at 2 to see if they have needed information that was missed in prior reviews of that resource

Repeat until the project is completed, and all resources are 0, 1, or 2

At this stage: 0 never used or miss hit in original search, 1 useless hit, 2 used

[3, 4, & 5 would have all become 2 at the end of the project]

Then reset all to 0 to get ready for the next project

[So few will use this rating system that it will not compromise those using community ratings]

Question: How will you mark all of the hits in the original search to 5?   (meaning need to review)

Posts 1120
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 6:06 PM

Hi Dave

I don't get notifications if anyone replies to my posts, and sometimes I don't keep checking after a while.

Your answer looks good, but where do I have these ratings?  I can add it to my library, but I don't see how that will  help me.

I need to see the ratings when I have a passage guide open.

Thank  you

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS