The Water that Divides: Two Views on Baptism Explored

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 8 2021 12:56 PM

This is one of the best books I've ever read presenting different viewpoints on a debated topic within theology. Irenic, thorough, and well-written, it helped me resolve my own quandary about this issue in my own life. I would love to see it made available in Logos. It's been long out of print (originally published by IVP in 1977), but was reissued by Christian Focus in 2008 and is still available from them in print. But there's no Kindle edition. Since Faithlife produces digital versions of other books from Christian Focus, I'm hoping they can do this one too.

Vote here:

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/the-water-that-divides-two-views-on-baptism-explored

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2021 2:38 PM

https://www.christianfocus.com/products/1133/the-water-that-divides 

Well, I got a failing grade!

I couldn't answer any of the questions. I thought the book would be dunking vs dripping (I could nail that). Or water vs Spirit (almost nail it).

Good recommendation.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2021 9:41 PM

DMB:

https://www.christianfocus.com/products/1133/the-water-that-divides 

Well, I got a failing grade!

I couldn't answer any of the questions. I thought the book would be dunking vs dripping (I could nail that). Or water vs Spirit (almost nail it).

Good recommendation.

I remember Eugene Peterson telling this joke in a class I took with him:

A Baptist and a Presbyterian are arguing over the proper mode of baptism. The Baptist insists it must be full immersion, but the Presbyterian thinks pouring or sprinkling some water on the top of the head should suffice. He puts the Baptist to the test.

Presbyterian: What if I go into the water up to my waist, would that be a legitimate baptism?

Baptist: Nope, it's got to be full immersion.

Presbyterian: What about if I go in up to my neck?

Presbyterian: What if I go in up to my eyebrows?

Presbyterian: What if I go in up to just above my hairline, about an inch below the top of my head?

Baptist: No, I'm telling you, it has to be FULL immersion!

Presbyterian: And if I go in one inch more, that would be real baptism?

Baptist: Yes.

Presbyterian: So what you're saying is it's the water on the top of the head that counts.

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2021 7:52 AM

Rosie Perera:
Presbyterian: So what you're saying is it's the water on the top of the head that counts.

Smiling.

When we were kids, the ladies had to wears swimming caps for baptism, for that very problem!  The preacher would fall-over, elsewise. We thought.

Posts 1000
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2021 6:48 AM

A good book about this subject is the "Warren - Fuqua Debate".  Personally, I think Thomas B. Warren nailed it.

One thing I do in my life is study through debate books on subjects like this. I look specifically at how the debaters develop and prove their premises.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2021 10:27 AM

xnman:
I look specifically at how the debaters develop and prove their premises.

I look more at how charitably they treat others whose views differ from theirs than whether they prove their premises.

Posts 1000
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2021 1:59 PM

Rosie Perera:

I look more at how charitably they treat others whose views differ from theirs than whether they prove their premises.

I understand. But for me....  I took Logic courses in college and love to prove things. Debaters in debates make arguments and then set premises to the argument to prove etc. And on top of that... I think debate books are a great way to study a topic. IMHO that is.... Geeked 

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2021 2:06 PM

Please double check the definition of premise in logic.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 177
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2021 2:13 PM

Rosie Perera:

This is one of the best books I've ever read presenting different viewpoints on a debated topic within theology. Irenic, thorough, and well-written, it helped me resolve my own quandary about this issue in my own life. I would love to see it made available in Logos. It's been long out of print (originally published by IVP in 1977), but was reissued by Christian Focus in 2008 and is still available from them in print. But there's no Kindle edition. Since Faithlife produces digital versions of other books from Christian Focus, I'm hoping they can do this one too.

Vote here:

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/the-water-that-divides-two-views-on-baptism-explored

Thanks Rosie, I'll look into this.

Posts 391
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 4:50 AM

MJ. Smith:
Please double check the definition of premise in logic.

😊

Posts 391
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2021 4:59 AM

xnman:
I think debate books are a great way to study a topic. 

Couldn’t agree more.  I have learned so much from both audio & written debates.

A CofC elder (disclaimer: I personally am not CofC) who was very experienced in public polemical dexterity once stated that for a person to adequately study for just 1 debate was the equivalent of earning a Masters degree.  

Perhaps a bit exaggerated——but not by much.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS