Single core, dual core, triple core etc

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 21 2021 3:37 PM

Looking at new laptops, I see one that uses the Ryzen 7 5800 chip. This is said regarding that particular chip, "No matter what Ryzen 5000 series CPU you are looking to buy, the fact that you are considering purchasing one in the first place implies that you are interested in PC gaming, single-core performance heavy workloads, or perhaps a mix between content creation or gaming."

I am not at all into gaming but I would want a laptop that is going to handle Logos with no problems as to speed. 

My question is, does Logos use single core or dual core or anything above that. 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 9.2 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 4:56 PM

Logos apparently uses a single thread for UI work but will use multiple threads for searches, indexing and other work. Recommended Hardware is quad-core, so a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 with 6 or more cores will run Logos just fine.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 7:45 PM

Dave, thanks for the reply. If you were buying a new laptop, would you still go for anything more than a Ryzen 7? 

Presently, I'm using an I-7-4700 HQ CPU 2.40 GHz and it runs Logos no problem, although I'm thinking a new machine would be that much quicker. 

What's your thoughts?

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 9.2 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 1263
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 7:51 PM

When I replaced my Mac, I looked for a PC that could meet the recommended Logos requirements, which meant a gaming machine (My stats are in my sig file if you're curious). It runs Logos flawlessly, taking seconds to go from start to ready. I can game with it, but I find I don't really do that much of it nowadays.

I have no idea where my 9th generation CPU (I think we're on 11th gen now?) stacks up compared to your Ryzen though. But I guess it could be a start for determining things?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2021 7:55 PM

I'm thinking if what I have here (an 8 year old ASUS Rog) is having no problem running Logos, the new machines would lift the roof right off the house. 

Whether it is an Intel Chip or the AMD chips, it would leave this one I have presently in the dust. The fact this is getting up there in age and has no TPM chip for Windows 11, the time is approaching when I will get a new one. 

Posts 1110
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 5:36 AM

I recently bought a gaming desktop with a Ryzen 7 5800x and an SSD (my old machine finally died), and I'm very pleased with its performance running Logos.

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 6:40 AM

That's nice to know. Thanks for your jumping in on this. 

Posts 26
Rifhen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 12:38 PM

I'm on a desktop, but I have a Ryzen 7 3700X and it has no problem with Logos at all - as snappy as you could imagine, never freezes etc.  I do have 32 gigs of ram and a NVME SSD though so those may play a part as well.  I'm guessing any laptop with a 5800 will have a fast SSD and plenty of ram too.  

Posts 26
Rifhen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 12:46 PM

Some advice you probably don't need, but my understanding is that graphics cards are extremely overpriced right now.  For example, there's a 3080 on newegg going for $2100 and PS5s on amazon for over $1000.  If you aren't interested in gaming you might really be paying for performance right now that you don't really need if that laptop is being marketed to gamers.  

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 1:00 PM

Thank you Rifhen for your helpful replies and yes, I'll take all the advice you want to throw at me.

I'm looking at an ASUS Rog of which I'll give you the link. I'm not desperate to buy right now but I am getting the fever. Let me know what you think of this. 

ASUS ROG Strix G17 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Eclipse Grey (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060) | Best Buy Canada

Posts 26
Rifhen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 3:42 PM

I'd be surprised if that doesn't run Logos really well.  But you could probably save some money if you don't want to game on it.  The link below if $600 cheaper and I would think it would run Logos fine.  I didn't spend that much time looking - you could probably find better deals.  Note the hard drive is half as large which might be an issue if you are putting a lot of media on it.  Don't get me wrong, the one you linked to is a much better machine - the processor is better, the GPU is better, and the hard drive is bigger.  But $600 is nice too.

New Lenovo Legion 5 17.3 FHD Laptop | AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | GTX1660Ti | 16G Memory | 512GB SSD | Backlit Keyboard | Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

I tried to look up benchmarks, and it looks like even that the graphics card is about 30-40% slower than what I have on my desktop which I use for gaming.  I opened up verbum with the diagnostics screen on and tried to get the GPU utilization up and couldn't get my GPU utilization over 30%.  So to me even for a laptop an RTX 3060 seems like more than you need if you aren't gaming on it.  

I had to buy a laptop recently for one of my children, and a couple of other things I noticed:

1) They don't put DVD drives on most of them anymore.  Can be a rude shock if you're not expecting that, although my kids barely know what a DVD is.

2) Do you really want a 17 inch screen?  That seems big to me, but everyone has different preferences and I could see wanting something that big if you are using as your main PC.  I don't really like laptops and if I have to use one want it to be light and cool.  

Hopefully others who have bought laptops recently can weigh in and give you comparisons.  The laptops I've bought recently didn't have a graphics card which is a recommended spec.  

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 4:12 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions! As to the size of the screen, I definitely would go no less than a 17.3 inch screen. I only use a laptop (actually I have another Toshiba for a backup should this one snap). As far as the Graphic cards go, I guess one has to take what comes in these things, unlike the Desktop where one can switch out and plunk a new one in. 

I checked your link and I believe that is in the US whereas I am in Canada. 

I just wanted to see if others such as yourself, have found Logos stacks up well with the Ryzen chip. Thanks again Rifhen. 

Posts 1712
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 5:57 PM

Bootjack:
I just wanted to see if others such as yourself, have found Logos stacks up well with the Ryzen chip

Bootjack, I can't comment on the Ryzen, but I don't expect the CPU would be the big difference. It's moving to SSD that really makes Logos fly.

Since your previous Asus ROG is 8 years old, I'm guessing it used a spinning disk. The 1TB SSD in the new one you're looking at will make the stand-out difference.

I'm using a 17.3" and agree with you on the screen real-estate. I use the laptop screen for Logos, with whatever I'm working on open in Word on the external monitor (24" rotated to portrait). Laptop has 2 SSDs: 256GB system + 1TB for data. I thought 1TB would be plenty, but it's almost full with Logos (126GB), MS Flight Sim (160GB), and the rest of my data.

Posts 574
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 7:52 PM

Interesting comment Allen. I've actually used an SSD in this unit between 5 & 6 years now and there's no problem using Logos whatsoever. I've a 500 Gig drive with about 300 Gigs free, so a 1tb at this rate would never be used, at least most of it. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS